Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Play songs that are meant to be together back to back

Ideas: Play songs that are meant to be together back to back

jcouncil
Underground

Queen We will rock you and we are the champions - classic combination

Hello - I grew up during the 70s and 80s and disc jockeys just knew when 2 song HAD to be played back to back.  Queen's We will rock you and We are the champions is a classic example but there are many more.  Artist such as Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Genesis and even Journey has songs that were ALWAYS played back to back on the radio.  Hopefully, there are still some DJs that remember this ancient time and can help you identify these classics that MUST be played together!

Thanks for your consideration.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
18 Comments
TannerPandora
Status changed to: Open Ideas

Thanks for posting @jcouncil! I updated your title just in case someone else has a similar idea. 

We appreciate the feedback and I definitely understand where you're coming from. This would be a great added feature for Pandora. 

Don't forget to ❤️The more votes an idea gets the more likely that it will be looked at for our roadmap.

Thanks for being part of community!

FlipC
Underground

when listening to classical complete performances radio on Premium, selection is cut short and switched to another selection, seemingly at random. As you might imagine, this is extremely irritating. I don't know if it happens on other stations or playlists, as I usually listen to classical or my thumbs up which has much shorter selections.

Zoli
Local Performer

What does it take to get Pandora to combine two songs that belong together/aren't disjointed on their respective albums? I.e. Queen's "We Will Rock You" + "We are the Champions", Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" + "Eclipse" to name just a couple?

No way should these (and at least a few more) be played as stand alone type songs (whether you like one but not the other or one more than the other). They are like peanut butter AND jelly. I mean, a good peanut butter sandwich can do the trick, but a PB&J always does the trick. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Zoli I moved your post over to this existing feature request: Play songs that are meant to be together back to back

I definitely hear where you are coming from, but we're caught in a complicated set of licensing rules that were designed for the world of pop songs and ignore the realities of how music is presented by the record labels. One rule prevents us from playing a number of consecutive tracks from the same album.

Unfortunately, many labels choose to divide intros (and sometimes longer songs) into separate tracks. We are required to treat each track as a separate "song". The result is as you describe. We're torn between offering portions of fine performances of outstanding music and not offering those works at all.

That being said, you may consider upgrading to Pandora Premium, which allows you to search and play full albums on-demand.

In the meantime, also make sure to give this thread a ❤️to express your interest in seeing it added to the service as well.

Thanks for being a part of the Community! :pandora:

Zoli
Local Performer

Thanks for the reply, Adam. I figured that was the reason but thought I'd take a shot at asking anyway. 

I do have premium and probably abuse it with certain albums/artists. Pandemic has helped reminded me of my love of so much music. Now to find a career in it...;)

BuzzShepard
Local Performer

Noting the licensing problems... 

It seems like it would be an incentive to upgrade to premium to automatically note and play songs together that are "peanut butter and jelly." It's especially true when those songs seem to have been played that way on the radio. For example, Bob Seger's Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser, and Jackson Browne's Stay a Little Longer/The Load Out, Pink Floyd's three parts to "Another Brick in the Wall." When you hear them on Pandora, you think "Where'd the rest of the song go!?"

And having to build a playlist yourself (rather than insert the two-fers into the rotation) just makes it harder to use because, for one thing, you have to figure out that the second part of the song is called "Load Out." (Something I didn't know till I started writing this and editing it to make it coherent!)

Bikera
Local Performer

Pandora always cuts every Pink Floyd song off before it's even close to the end.

Why don't you play all of Pink Floyd's  songs?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Bikera I moved your post over to this existing feature request.

Make sure to upvote this thread with a ❤️to express your interest in seeing it added to the service.

You can also check out my message here for additional information.

Thanks for being a part of the Community! :pandora:

wavking
Local Performer

Soft Cell - Tainted love and Where did our love go should be one continuous track. DON'T SPLT THEM

Van Halen Erruption should ALWAYS be followed with You Really Got Me going.

BuzzShepard
Local Performer

Absolutely! This is really how the pandora music genome could be competetively superior to other services!