cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

bjoyce2
Opening Act

New Feature Idea: Create Rules about what bands you never want to hear.  If I select a Genre but there are certain bands I never want to hear, there should be a way to create a rule. i.e. I select the 70's Rock Genre but I never want to hear any music from Sting, Rush, Styx, Journey, Kiss, etc.  then allow me to create a rule eliminating them fron the selection algorithm.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
182 Comments
oldhippytrips
Local Performer

There are certain artists I never want to hear on my Pandora period! Can't you figure out a way that I can customize my Pandora so that I never have to hear the likes of them ever?

I_A
Local Performer

I listen to some explicit music.  Most of the cover art doesn't offend me.  A search brought up an artist with graphic and disturbing cover art of women who had been badly beaten.  One woman had bruised eyes. The other two had bloody teeth.  The pictures were very realistic.  I want to block that artist from my account.  The explicit music I listen to doesn't portray that kind of violence.  The block option is for ALL explicit music.  I'd like the option to block individual artists from my account.  That would give me the option to continue enjoying the music I love without exposing myself to those disturbing images.  

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@I_A I moved your post over to this existing thread: Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

Make sure to also upvote this Idea with a ❤️ if you'd like to see the option added to the service.

Thanks for being a part of the Community! :pandora:

joeislove
Local Performer

Any update on this? I keep getting Drake recommended on my custom station, even though I have given every song played from him a thumbs down. Why is it hard to implement a feature to allow me to block an artist from ever playing on a station?

BradburyS
Underground

GDamn it. You have had years and years to correct blocking an artist and related cleanse a station of an unrelated genre.

To give an example, I play a blues station, "Lightning Hopkins" made an error trying a song by Ralph Stanley.  When I realized he is C&W. Immediately removed him. But he spermed (being polite) up my station. Now he keeps playing, and more country spawn is infected and messing up my blues. Thumbing down is a whack-a-mole project that doesn't work. Kill one R. Stanley song and another shows up.  Now seems I may be getting gospel or faith music.  

You've had years and years and complaints, yet all that gets done is a moderator or other says, 'to keep things better orgnized I've transferred your post to suc and such subject. Go there it's like no one hears anything. Question comes up under 'blocking a station' and the moderator comment "I am moving your comment to 'blocking a ztation' to keep things organized". How disorganized is that. Moderator or whoever is a bot, so you can avoid addressing something you should have done years and ago, because ignoring it was better, since correcting it was just to much dicking work. Like I said the dicking around has ducked up my account, like the delayed loading, dropped songs etc.  I fixed the loading issue clearing the cache, but this is getting me to listen to my new Spotify ap. Are you listening to me and all of the same complaints I read going back years? 

Pete4
Local Performer
Dude, you absolutely nailed it. Same thing happened to me. All I wanna do is block Kevin Spacey’s stupid duets album.
BradburyS
Underground

What am I paying 10$ a month for (double) from last year, and constantly have to interrupt what I am doing to squash C&W songs that have nothing to do with my Blues station? PLEASE  fix it!   I have a Sotify account as a trial that I think I may jump after 16 years with P.

Since the tracks are on only one station, not infecting others so far nor has the moderator answered my direct emailed question, I have 3 strategies in mind:
1. Find a Pandora phone contact
2. Set up another station with the same seeds, losing my thumbs of several years then deleting the station.
3. Close my premium account. You'd think after doubling its cost would bring improved features. -- BTW I am looking to either duck duck go or other ad blocker to work on the Pandora platform. I would be happy to listen to blank space between several tracks.
4. Begin to refine my trial Spotify account for a transfer. Listening briefly to C&W and now evangelical like C&W stuck between blues is so disturbing that it makes me angry enough to take the pleasure of listening to the blues. Pandora has known about the problem at least, since 2019 and has done absolutely nothing. Moderators evade the question.
Sorry to vent. I am just passed off.

mod edit: merged comments

I_A
Local Performer

All of those concerns sound so frustrating.  Being subjected to unwanted art media is so irritating, isn't it?  Good luck finding reasonable solutions. 

I_A
Local Performer

You can always download and collect music you know you like and make your own playlist.  Then you'll always know you're listening to music you enjoy and you'll never be forced to hear noises that upset your individual personhood.  

Scatterjoy
Underground

I suggest we link some cost to this.  Pandora is clearly not seeing a benefit.

Launch Pandora and play Taylor Swift songs on loop on mute for hours at a time in protest.  We can anssume she is a higher cost stream.  

According to Rolling Stone, “The Outside” is her least popular song so they’ll attribute the cost of plays to this issue.

Listeners of the world unite.