cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit/add variety to genre stations

Richardbailey56
Local Performer

I am using a pre-existing station but there are several artists missing that I would like to add.  I do not see a way to add to a pre-existing station without making a new station and starting from scratch.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Richardbailey56 Thanks for following up and clarifying that with me.

Genre stations, such as "Today's Hits" or "Golden Oldies" are stations created and curated by Pandora. Sometimes, they might include more mainstream artists and songs or we may make changes to the station that can result in changes to the experience you've been accustomed to. You can always use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

As an alternative, we recommend creating your own station, using an artist or song that you think best represents a particular genre.

Additionally, you may Add Variety to the station you create, in order to include other artists or songs you'd like to influence your station.

Keep in mind, each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way. If you don't like the direction your station is headed, you can always edit your station seeds and Thumbs through the Station Details.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for listening!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Richardbailey56 What is the name of the station you are unable to add variety to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Richardbailey56
Local Performer

Golden Oldies

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Richardbailey56 Thanks for following up and clarifying that with me.

Genre stations, such as "Today's Hits" or "Golden Oldies" are stations created and curated by Pandora. Sometimes, they might include more mainstream artists and songs or we may make changes to the station that can result in changes to the experience you've been accustomed to. You can always use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

As an alternative, we recommend creating your own station, using an artist or song that you think best represents a particular genre.

Additionally, you may Add Variety to the station you create, in order to include other artists or songs you'd like to influence your station.

Keep in mind, each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way. If you don't like the direction your station is headed, you can always edit your station seeds and Thumbs through the Station Details.

0 Kudos

Diamond in the Rough

My station, Dion & Belmonts Radio seems to play the same songs, no matter how many I add.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@378018 Check out the accepted solution to this thread if you are running into issues with station repetition.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Riktronics
Local Performer

I have a station called 80's Alternative Radio and although I know I have added seeds in the past I can't seem to figure out how to do it now. I have been using Pandora for 10 years now and prefer to have one station that will play anything from the Cure to The Sex Pistols to Herb Alpert. I have spent 10 years curating my collection to the point I hardly ever hear a song I don't like. 342 Thumbs up and 2061 Thumbs down.  

The edit button I keep reading about that is supposed to be next to the play button isn't there. Clicking on the station allows me to see my thumbs up and thumbs down but I can't seen to find all the seeds I have in there. I have checked on my computer in both Chrome and Edge, and also tried to find it on my phone.

Is this still possible to add seeds to the station I have?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Riktronics I moved your post over to this existing thread: Can't edit/add variety to genre stations

It sounds like you are trying to edit one of your genre stations.

Genre stations, such as "80's Alternative Radio" are stations curated by Pandora, and they behave a little bit differently than your own personalized stations. One difference is that you cannot Add Variety to these stations.

That's because Adding Variety could change your listening experience on these stations; added seeds would most likely inspire music outside of the scope of the intended genre.

While there was once a bug that allowed these stations to be edited, that bug has since been resolved.

That said, when listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

In the meantime, I've noted your request for the option to edit genre stations.

0 Kudos

Riktronics
Local Performer

So if I want to add a song to my carefully curated station, I have to create an entire new station and start from scratch? Are my thumbs up and thumbs down linked to my account, i.e. if I thumbs downed the remix of Bizarre Love Triangle on the alternative station will it still be thumbs down and not play on my new station, or do I lose my 2000 thumbs down?

I guess the short version of the question would be: What is my best route forward?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Riktronics Thumb ratings are station specific - so if you were to create a brand new station, the thumb ratings applied on an older station wouldn't apply to the new one.

What you can do is create a new station for the artist you were hoping to add to your 80's Alternative Radio station, and then shuffle both stations together.

This will in turn accomplish the same thing you were looking to do by adding them to your station as variety.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Kaijuu
Local Performer

I have done this on a station that I created but for some reason it isn't actually saving everything I add. I'm on android 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kaijuu What is the name of the station you are unable to add variety to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos