cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
383 Replies

mm2ssajc
Local Performer

Killing Me Slowly Radio, Five Finger Death Punch Radio, Disturbed Radio, Alice In Chains Radio

Artists (songs):  Puddle of Mudd (Blurry, Psycho, others), Five Finger Death Punch (The Bleeding, Under and Over it), Slipknot, and several others that I can't remember.

I was able to give a thumbs down.

I was listening to the standard station, not deep  cuts or crowd favorites.  Explicit songs play on the station, and they even have the red "E" beside them in my collection.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@mm2ssajc Thank you for sending that over.

To explain, we may substitute one version of a song with another version of the same song that has what is called “interactive rights.” This helps us to maximize your playback experience by allowing you to replay it, and by making the song available for offline listening.

We understand that some of these substitutions may not be ideal. Rest assured that we are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs in our library that have interactive rights, and really appreciate your patience in the interim.

With this being said, I will still be passing your feedback along to our curation team so they can further investigate to ensure this isn't a larger issue.

Thanks again for all your help with this!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

DSOUTHERNER
Local Performer

Station Name HELLYEAH (after the band)

Artist: Five Finger Death Punch

Song Jekyl and Hyde

it is playing the edited version of the song.

0 Kudos

CB_Nation
Local Performer

How did my music or account become child proof. Most of my songs that used to be original are now cutting out the inappropriate words and I get a pause for ever word. How do I fix

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @DSOUTHERNER. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this. I'll be sure to share this information with the team who handles our collection for further review.

++

Hi, @CB_Nation. 👋

I moved your post over to this thread as it's similar to what others are saying about certain tracks.

As @AdamPandora  has shared in earlier posts on this thread, our curation team looking into this, however they will need specific examples from you in order to dig deeper.

When this happens again, can you please write back with the following?

• The name of the station where the explicit track(s) play.
  • The name(s) of the artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the explicit track(s).
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Appreciate your help with this! 

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Glamdring
Opening Act

hate to say this but from what you are posting it sounds like this is going to have to be a manual tag on your end on all content, i.e. flag it clean/explicit or-based on some complaints-live/studio because filtered stations is clearly an option many of us do NOT want. just because a few concerned parents want censored music doesn't mean the majority of us do, in fact it looks like the majority DON'T want it.

0 Kudos

crtl2007
Local Performer

I've had my account since 2007 and now songs that I've thumbed up years ago are popping up as the edited versions. I remember when pandora came out and the some "Can I speak to your manager?!" people complained that pandora played unedited versions and pandora put out an answer that said "This is the way the artists intended the music to be heard. If you dont like it, tough." you used to be cool.

I'm hesitant to give them a thumbs down because I dont want to risk losing the unedited version. But i'd rather listen to cats in heat than listen to an edited version of an Eminem song.

• The name of the station where the explicit track(s) play. Depth / God Loves Ugly
  • The name(s) of the artist(s). Eminem / Outkast / Jay-Z / Dr. Dre / The Roots
  • The title(s) of the explicit track(s). Guilty Conscience / Stan / Brain Damage / Forgot About Dre / Ms. Jackson / Renegade / The Way You Move / Whats the Difference / D'evils / The Whole World / The Way I Am / Sing For the Moment / The Next Episode / Roses / The Seed 2.0 / My Name Is
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down? Can i without getting rid of the unedited version? These songs were thumbed up as explicit but suddenly switched. 
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts? My phone - Explicit slider is allowing explicit music. I 
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@DSOUTHERNER @crtl2007 Thank you for reporting those tracks - I will escalate this over to our curation team for further review.

0 Kudos

DC5tEGGi
Local Performer

Reporting an edited song I've heard numerous times on an explicit channel. Ironically, the lyrics displayed are still explicit.

• The Amity Affliction Radio
• Asking Alexandria
• Don't Pray For Me

BHartl
Local Performer

Every station I have is now censored.  I have check the settings.  

N.W.A Radio

Eminem Radio

Post malone

Ect. 

Its every station now..

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@DC5tEGGi Thank you for informing us about that - I will pass your feedback along to the team who helps take care of our collection so they can look into it further.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@BHartl Our curation team is actively looking into these reports, and have requested we gather specific details so that they can further investigate.

The next time this happens, would you mind sending over: 

• The name(s) of the censored artist(s) and censored track(s)

I appreciate all of your help with this! 

0 Kudos

Jcsimple
Local Performer

Where exactly do we report a song because I have my favorite ones cleaned but I love the originals like Travis Scott radio Station, Travis Scott ft. Drake sicko mode and I have many more. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Jcsimple You can report any tracks that are now only playing the clean version on this thread.

Just tag me and let me know:

• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

0 Kudos

Jennieanne9
Local Performer

The Eminem tracks that are supposed to be explicit are now censored. Why is this? My cd at home doesn't do this. I've invested a lot of money and time to the bands I love. Including buying cds and recording cassette tapes when the radio played.  I deserve to hear the music the way it was meant to be heard the day it was recorded. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Jennieanne9 I moved your post to this thread to keep the community tidy.

I'm happy to escalate this to our curation team so they can investigate.

Just tag me and let me know the title(s) of the specific track(s) by Eminem that are now playing censored.

0 Kudos

c_keskeny
Local Performer

On Today's Hits

Blackbear

Hot Girl Bummer

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@c_keskeny Genre stations such as "Today's Hits," emulate terrestrial radio, so these won't have explicit tracks by default.

If you want explicit tracks, you should be able to find those on artist or track-based stations.

Hope this helps clarify!

0 Kudos

asdfasdfasdf
Local Performer

@AdamPandora

Hey every eminem song I have come across today, as well as tupac and Notorious Big have been censored with the exception of songs that have (explicit) in the title, and I would never thumbs up a censored song to which these songs are thumbs upped already. I typically play my songs on shuffle, and they're all from stations that i've created based off songs or artists. To include the songs:

When I'm gone

My band (by d12)

Notorious B.I.G.

50 cent in da club

Ambitionz as a ridah (even the word ambitionz is censored lol)

0 Kudos

Onemaddude
Local Performer

Since my last update all the music I play has all the cuss words cut out or bleeped out. Why is this happening I’ve checked my settings and everything is OK? Is this something I can fix? I have the free version not the paid version this work before the last update. If this has been moved to a paid program I will be deleting this app

0 Kudos