cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora

@ahernandez409 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Explicit Tracks now Censored

First, let's be sure that you have your explicit filter set to allow explicit content. You can view this by checking your settings. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.14.05 PM.png

++

If you still have trouble, we will need some specific examples in order to look into this further.

The next time an explicit track plays on your station, please grab a screenshot of the now playing screen and send that over in a reply to this message.

Additionally, we'll need you to provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred:
  • The name(s) of the artist(s)
  • The title(s) of the track(s)
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

383 Replies

Mschnell81
Local Performer
Hi, I’ve motives lately that a number of my saved songs are being changed to a censored version of the song. When I check the “like” status, the censored song is already liked, which I would never do. Clearly the explicit version that I previously “liked” has been swapped out for the edited version and now I cannot listen to the explicit version any longer. I am losing a bunch of songs I like cuz I have to “unlike” the crappy edited version. How can I prevent this censorship? Thanks.

AdamPandora

@Mschnell81 I have reached out to our support team and they have confirmed that they will be sending you an email to the email address your Pandora account is registered under.

Please keep an eye out for their message, and they will be happy to look into this further with you.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 

0 Kudos

firey
Local Performer

I'm having the exact same issue and it's very upsetting. I can't stand edited versions as it ruins the integrity of the music as the artist would have you hear it. And liking the explicit doesn't mean we like the edit. The edited version IS NOT THE SAME!

AdamPandora

@firey Nice to see you around the community.

@AlyssaPandora has provided some helpful information on this in her message above. 

duality79
Underground

this is happening in playlists that i have had for years... this is a recent thing. I do not listen to Today's Hits or any sort of pop chart playlist. I have my own stations and thats what i listen to. The music that is being censored is stuff i have listened to for years... please advise how to correct this.

AdamPandora

@duality79 Welcome to the community!

I'm happy to research this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. 

The next time this happens, please make note of the name of the artist, as well as the name of the censored track that plays on your account.

Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos

duality79
Underground

this happens with multiple artists and songs. such as Ludacris, Mudvayne, Marilyn Manson, Eminem, D12, Lamb of God and so on. if you need the individual songs i will start keeping track of them.

AdamPandora

@duality79 Sounds good - definitely keep track of the individual tracks this happens on as well and we will be happy to look into this further. 

0 Kudos

Csweger33
Local Performer

It is censoring every single song on my play list

0 Kudos

brendanmarc
Local Performer

Hey dawgs, I like my music with swear words aight, that's why I have allow explicit content on. But guess what! I don't hear no naughty words. 

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@brendanmarc I moved your message to this thread as I provided some information in my above message that may be helpful.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Csweger33 I moved your message to this thread to keep the community tidy.

I provided some information in my above message that may be helpful with explaining this.

CrazyKamo
Local Performer

Why are all of the songs clean without premium?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

0 Kudos

Shurrell
Local Performer

Mine too! With things like saving abel and whitney fords what its like? I even tried to search for the regular version and all they have is the censored one now? 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @CrazyKamo Sorry to hear that. I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Can you write me back with specific examples?

• The name of the station(s) where this occurred.
  • The name(s) of the artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the track(s).
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Let me know, and I'll take a look.

Tanner | Community Moderator

jsnclns
Local Performer

This seems to be a common problem with all explicit music and I'm no exception. However my playlists have also decided to swap out songs with live versions of songs that I've given a thumb up to, as well as when I give a thumb down it will still play the song, only the live version or an even more crappy remix. sometimes it's literally the same song, just from a different album. For instance the original song I "thumb downed" was on the release album but it played the same song a few songs later from the greatest hits album... Frustrating!!!

0 Kudos

Lindalewisvcr
Local Performer

Songs in artist-specific stations that I've 'liked' are being censored. I would not hit thumbs up on a song where you can't hear the words because it drives me nuts! I'd understand if it was a child's profile or the curated stations like Latest Hits or whatever but it's not. I'm grown and wanna hear the entirety of the tracks. Is there a setting that can change this? It makes the listening experience rather unpleasant 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Lindalewisvcr I moved your message to this thread as I provided some information on this in my above message

Lindalewisvcr
Local Performer

I covered everything addressed in your original response and it doesn't apply.. I'm on an artist specific station.. It's not new ones on there because the exact same songs were once explicit and now are not. The only thing is I need a list of songs. Where should I send a list once I have it? 

0 Kudos