cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
383 Replies

Broseph
Local Performer

Ok, so recently I've noticed this in just about every song I listen to that I know has swear words in it, even its the version of the song thats /supposed/ to be uncensored, the lyrics are still censored??? What the hell?? Like, honestly I wouldn't be too pissed if it were a *few* songs every now and then, and if the censoring was actually done nicely, but no, it happens with just about every song that swears, and the cenorship is done poorly. No, worse than poorly, I had to skip songs I usually LOVE listening to because I could not friggin stand the **ahem**ty censoring, it was ruining the whole song!!!! What the heck is going on and how do I fix this?????

0 Kudos

Mello
Local Performer

Why is all my songs now censored 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi Everyone! 

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

• Genre stations such as "Today's Hits," emulate terrestrial radio, so these won't have explicit tracks by default. If you want explicit tracks, you should be able to find those on artist or track-based stations.
  • Also, if the station contains any seeds ending with "(Children's)," or if it is seeded with a Christian artist or song, that station will only play edited tracks. Be sure to review your seeds for the station and remove these if need be.
  • We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections. 

Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi @Mello!

I've included some information in my message above to help with reporting these.

Thanks for joining the community!

0 Kudos

Iris
Local Performer

I also have this problem. I have liked, clearly marked, explicit versions of songs on the artis's station and it's now being censored for no reason, but it's not censoring everything as if it was a "clean" version. For example if the song says "hell", sometimes I will hear it and sometimes I hear the "h" and then it cuts out the rest of the word. I mean if it's going to be censored, it should be consistent. But, I would rather have songs that are explicitly marked as explicit, especially ones on albums with the parental warning on the cover, to be uncensored like they should be.

0 Kudos

Iris
Local Performer

I also have this problem. I have liked, clearly marked, explicit versions of songs on the artist's station and it's now being censored for no reason, but it's not censoring everything as if it was a "clean" version. For example if the song says "hell", sometimes I will hear it and sometimes I hear the "h" and then it cuts out the rest of the word. I mean if it's going to be censored, it should be consistent. But, I would rather have songs that are explicitly marked as explicit, especially ones on albums with the parental warning on the cover, to be uncensored like they should be.

0 Kudos

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

Other issues with switching out "liked" songs:

The studio version of Muddy Waters' Trouble No More has been switched out with a live version of that song. I would never thumbs-up a live version of any song, yet it shows that I thumbed-up the live version of Trouble No More.

Jimmy Reed's version of Aw Shucks Hush Your Mouth has been switched with an instrumental version of that song. I like Jimmy Reed for his vocals, so I would never thumbs up an instrumental by him. Yet again, it shows that I thumbed-up the instrumental version.

And then there are several other songs that have been replaced with an inferior quality (often scratchy) audio of that songs.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@blues-sevenfold Thanks so much for pointing this out.

We really appreciate your taking the time to let us know. I've forwarded this to the people who take care of the collection. We'll look into it ASAP.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

Thank you!! ❤️

Here's another one I found. This song by Anson Funderburgh and The Rockets is actually called I'm Your Professor. The track on the same album with said title is another song entirely, which I really don't like as much.

Also, the studio version of Dump That Chump by Little Charlie and The Nightcats has been swapped out with the live version.

AdamPandora

@blues-sevenfold Thanks for reporting this! 

Jonmed
Local Performer

My 'allow explicit content' is turned on but some of my favorite songs (including ones that are thumbsed up) are now sensored. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Jonmed I moved your post to this thread since it sounds like you are running into a similiar issue.

Please review @AlyssaPandora's message and get back to me with the specific information she requested at the bottom of her post.

0 Kudos

Fixmy59bug
Local Performer

Today I was listening to one of my favorite stations, Five Finger Death Punch Radio, and the sing 100 Ways To Hate (by Five Finger Death Punch) came on and the first half was censored. This station is obviously not a kids station or a "Top Hits" channel. And this song has never been censored before. And lastly, there was no "Clean Lyrics" tag on the song. Please look into this song/channel.

Thank you.

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

I've noticed that with a lot of Five Finger Death Punch songs.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Fixmy59bug @blues-sevenfold Thank you for reporting this - I have passed this feedback along to the folks who take care of our collection. 

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

A lot of songs on this Little Walter album are mistitled.

0 Kudos

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

This particular track of Off the Wall by Little Walter is very scratchy.

Luisav123
Underground

Where to we reply with this information? I have many track on my "Run the Jewels" radio that were never censored that are being played as censored tracks... which is like half the song. 

0 Kudos

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

Tell Me Mama by Little Walter is also scratchy. I think everything from that album is.

0 Kudos

chenjf
Local Performer

The current song that I noticed this happening on is:
• The name of the station where this occurred = Alternative Pop/Rock
• The name(s) of the artist(s): Eminem
• The title(s) of the track(s): My Name Is