cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
383 Replies

MissDebbie
Local Performer

I don’t have many explicit songs on my playlist but one of my favorites by jerimiah has been censored but only during the chorus making if feel like an algorithm filer rather than just a radio edit which ruins the song. Is this going to be the new norm on Pandora? If so I will have to unfortunately look for a new music service.

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

8EA9A8F5-F923-4723-BBE3-B24191F1C095.png

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 Thanks for sending that over.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for an explanation on why censored versions of a track may be playing on your station.

That being said, I do see you are currently upgraded to Pandora Premium. With this level of subscription, you do have the ability to stream Tha Carter II (Explicit) on demand.

Here is a link to the album: Tha Carter II (Explicit)

Hope this helps!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@MissDebbie To report any specific tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name(s) of the artist(s) Jeremih
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

I’m sorry but the stations keep playing the clean version of the carter 2 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Keysean2! Thanks for posting. I moved your message over to an existing thread here

To report any specific tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name(s) of the artist(s) Jeremih
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

Lil Wayne station

Tha mobb

hustler musik 

best rapper alive

mo fire

Money on my mind

fireman

receipt

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 I have escalated your feedback over to our curation team for further review.

In the meantime, you can always stream Tha Carter II (Explicit) on demand since you are upgraded to Pandora Premium.

Here is a link to the album: Tha Carter II (Explicit)

Thanks for reporting this!

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

Kanye west song school spirit is censored on college dropout

0 Kudos

crbrabon
Local Performer

Richard Cheese's Badd appeared in my feed with bleep censoring. Much more of this nannyism and I'm cancelling my subscription and I don't give a **ahem** about the the excuses for having "radio" versions. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@crbrabon I'm happy to look into this.

What was the name of the station you were listening to when the censored version of that track played?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

jayyeblazzen
Local Performer

My thumbprint songs Lil Waye station all are explicit but the words are being blocked even after activating the allow explicit content. All my stations are like this 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@jayyeblazzen The next time this happens, can you please send me a screenshot of the Lil Wayne track that shows as the explicit version, but actually plays a censored version instead?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

rose555005
Local Performer

Good morning,

I am constantly having this problem. This is a new issue for me. It just started maybe a few weeks ago.

• The name of the station where this occurred: Today's Hits Radio
  • The name(s) of the artist(s) 24KGoldn Feat. Iann Dior
  • The title(s) of the track(s): Mood
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora: Dell Laptop in this specific case but it censored a different song (see below) last week on my Samsung S9 cell phone. 

That song was:

• The name of the station where this occurred: Today's Hits Radio
  • The name(s) of the artist(s) Avenue Beat
  • The title(s) of the track(s): F2020
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora: Samsung S9 cell phone

It's really weird and frustrating. I do not want my songs to be censored. I have the green toggle button on to allow explicit content. What can be done to correct this? Is this just an overarching problem on Pandora? I have been using Pandora for 10+ years. I might consider switching to Spotify if the censorship continues. It changes the songs entirely and it makes the vibe completely different when listening to the songs. Is Today's Hits exclusively reserved for censored versions of these songs? It's bizarre because Mood (uncensored) played on the same station last week. So, I am just trying to understand the difference. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@rose555005 By default, Genre stations such as Today's Hits Radio will play the clean version of a track unless there is no other version but the explicit available.

So what you reported is actually intended for that particular station.

I recommend creating either an artist-based station or a song-based station if you'd prefer to have a station that allows explicit music to play.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This all being said, I do see you mentioned the explicit version of that track played on Today's Hits Radio previously.

If the explicit version of Mood by 24KGoldn Feat. Iann Dior plays again on Today's Hits Radio, can you please do me a favor and send me screenshot of the now playing screen?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

William1
Local Performer

Why does some songs won't cuss when I I have it set up so it will cuss an you can see that the song

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @William1. 👋

To keep the community space organized, I moved your post over to this existing thread: Explicit Tracks now Censored

I would recommend checking out my post about this here.

Hope this information is helpful. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

AJM
Opening Act

i just heard the following song which is listed as clean but very much is not (i prefer the explicit version just wanted to report the discrepancy)

Welcome To Atlanta (Feat. P. Diddy, Snoop Dogg & Murphy Lee) (Coast 2 Coast Remix)

CLEAN

Jermaine Dupri

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Thanks for reporting this, @AJM!

I will escalate. your feedback to our curation team for further review. 

0 Kudos

rose555005
Local Performer

Sure thing. I heard Mood this morning on this channel and it was censored also. I will remove this channel from my playlist as listening to censored versions of songs is not something I am interested in doing. I appreciate the feedback and will be mindful of genre stations in the future as they would not be stations that I would be interested in since they censor songs. That's not why I listen to music. Thanks again.