cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
383 Replies

Markram
Local Performer

I am having the same issue. Many songs that were never censored are now only playing censored versions. This is only since I bought Pandora plus. I will be canceling my subscription if this isn't fixed.

Shuffle station

Kid Cudi

Scott Mescudi vs the world

Do you truly expect users to go through this for each and every song? That would be ludicrous. So I am expected to stop what I'm doing periodically throughout my day, write down all that info for each song, and then come here and input it in the hopes I am not wasting my time?

0 Kudos

Ken_W
Local Performer

I have my Allow explicit content option turned on, yet I continue to hear songs that are the modified version with the explicit parts blanked out, which I find annoying. How do I fix this? 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Markram Thank you for sharing your experience on the Community.

I have escalated your feedback on that particular track by Kid Cudi to our curation team for further review.

The next time the censored version of a track (that previously played explicit) plays on your station, please send me a screenshot of what is showing on the now playing screen.

Our curation team is interested in looking into this more.

Thanks for all your help with this! 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Markram
Local Performer

I can't help but think it would be much less convuluted to simple have some of the Pandora employees simply play Pandora themselves to experience this fairly widespread issue. Why make the issue go through all these channels when you should not have a hard time replicating it in house your selves.

0 Kudos

Macgyver24x7
Local Performer

Indistinguishable? Then grow and expand the Pandora database schema and get better over time!

0 Kudos

mrgalaxy
Local Performer

Tech N9ne tracks appear to be getting censored. Can you see what's going on?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Ken_W I'd like to escalate your report over to our curation team. 

Can you write me back with the following the next time this happens?

• The name of the station where this occurred.
  • The name(s) of the censored artist(s) and censored track(s)
  • The device you are using to stream Pandora

I will need specific examples before we can move forward with this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@mrgalaxy Thank you for reporting this.

Before I forward your feedback to our curation team, can you please write me back with the following the next time this happens?

• The name of the station where this occurred.
  • The name(s) of the censored artist(s) and censored track(s)
  • The device you are using to stream Pandora

I will need specific examples before we can move forward with this.

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

mrgalaxy
Local Performer

Hi, Yes. Here's the Pandora link to the specific song that I was listening to: https://www.pandora.com/artist/tech-n9ne/special-effects/hood-go-crazy-feat-2-chainz-and-bob/TR9mpkc...

I stream from Linux. 😃

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@mrgalaxy Thank you for reporting this - I have escalated your feedback over to our curation team so they can take a closer look.

0 Kudos

ImTheVoiceOfGod
Local Performer
  • Adam, I came to report the same. Tech N9ne Radio playing from my Samsung Galaxy S9 has been censoring several Tech N9ne songs over the past few months. Hood Go Crazy is one but there are several others. I will report as I come across them. 

AdamPandora

@ImTheVoiceOfGod Sounds good - we will keep an eye out for any additional reports you provide on this thread. 👍🏽

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

When I’m shuffling stations lil Wayne carter 2 explicit doesn’t get played even though I have allow explicit content turned on

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 I moved your post to this thread since you are running into a similar issue.

For more information on why you may be hearing the censored version of that album by Lil Wayne, check out the accepted solution to this thread.

To report any specific tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
  • The name(s) of the artist(s)
  • The title(s) of the track(s)
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

Lil Wayne station

Tha Carter 2 album

0 Kudos

Mojokat76
Local Performer

Savage by Megan Thee Stallion on Today’s Hits Radio on my iPhone pandora app

2BCE1FEB-EF42-41AB-BC91-B71E2E823E1B.png

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Mojokat76 By default, Genre stations such as Today's Hits Radio will play the clean version of a track unless there is no other version but the explicit available.

So what you reported is actually intended for that particular station.

This all being said, I do see you are currently upgraded to Pandora Premium.

With this level of subscription, what you can do is create customized playlists where you can pick and choose only explicit versions of tracks and add them to your playlists.

These explicit tracks will be clearly identifiable by a red "E" label.

Let me know if you'd like me to send over some steps on how to create new playlists on your mobile device.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 Our curation team is curious in looking into particular tracks off  of that album you are now hearing the censored versions of.

The next time this happens, please grab a screenshot of the now playing screen showing the censored track, and I will be happy to pass that feedback along for you.

0 Kudos

Adam7
Local Performer

I am also getting censored songs that were once not . They are showing that I liked them but I wouldn’t do that I am loosing songs because of this if this can’t be resolved let us know so I can take my business elsewhere. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Adam7 To explain, we may substitute one version of a song with another version of the same song that has what is called “interactive rights.” This helps us to maximize your playback experience by allowing you to replay it, and by making the song available for offline listening.

We understand that some of these substitutions may not be ideal. Rest assured that we are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs in our library that have interactive rights, and really appreciate your patience in the interim.

With this being said, I'm happy to look into this further with you.

The next time the censored version of a track plays on your account with the Thumbs Up rating already highlighted, please grab a screenshot and send that over to me in a reply to this thread.

0 Kudos