cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Jkononchik
Local Performer

Why is it that every so often, somedays more often than others, if I’m listening to lets say Motown Radio or another station I’ll get some random song from Creedence Clearwater, Beatles, Eagles, etc. that has nothing related to the genre of that station that I am listening to? This drives me crazy. Is this the same with Pandora Plus?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Jkononchik!

I completely understand where you're coming from.

Pandora tries to improve the chances that you will enjoy every song that plays. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given, and feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

We hope that the music Pandora plays will be just what you wanted, but occasionally Pandora will surprise you. When it's a welcome surprise give the song a Thumbs Up. Otherwise give it a Thumbs Down. This will help make your stations play more music that you like.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. Pick from different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbs given in a specific mode will guide the station in that direction. For example, if you prefer to hear the hits, and not much new music, listen under Crowd Faves and use Thumbs to direct your station.

++

With Pandora Plus, you can listen to your stations without advertisements. With Pandora Premium, you have more control over your tunes. You can listen stations, albums, and even create playlists.

You can also find out more about how Pandora Plus and Premium work here.

Let me know if have any other questions. 

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

View solution in original post

370 Replies

Chila
Local Performer

Not sure what is going on with Pandora. I am having this problem and a few people I know are as well. 

I can be listening to a particular Genre and the next thing you know it is a different genra that plays for several songs before going back to what genre I was originally listening to. 

Example: I will be listening to Hip Hop and Pop selections. Listening to several hip hop songs... then all of a sudden country music is playing. The channel still reads thta it is on my hip hop channel that I was listening to so the channel didnt get changed. It will play several country songs (once it played 20 in a row until I gave up and turned it off) then suddenly it is playing hip hop again. 

Is anyone else having this problem? What's going on Pandora? I dont like this. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @Chila!

Could you provide an exact station name for the one you're having trouble with? 

Let me know.

Chila
Local Performer

It happens on a few different stations. The NF station is the main station it happens on. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Chila, from your description, it sounds like the station may have a few erroneous thumbed-up songs, which is bringing in the content you mentioned.  

I would recommend checking your Thumbs on those stations and removing any that don't fit the type of music you're trying to listen to. Remember, thumbs are station specific, so they won't effect any of your other stations. 

For more information on thumb feedback and how to edit your thumbs click here.

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Jkononchik!

I completely understand where you're coming from.

Pandora tries to improve the chances that you will enjoy every song that plays. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given, and feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

We hope that the music Pandora plays will be just what you wanted, but occasionally Pandora will surprise you. When it's a welcome surprise give the song a Thumbs Up. Otherwise give it a Thumbs Down. This will help make your stations play more music that you like.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. Pick from different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbs given in a specific mode will guide the station in that direction. For example, if you prefer to hear the hits, and not much new music, listen under Crowd Faves and use Thumbs to direct your station.

++

With Pandora Plus, you can listen to your stations without advertisements. With Pandora Premium, you have more control over your tunes. You can listen stations, albums, and even create playlists.

You can also find out more about how Pandora Plus and Premium work here.

Let me know if have any other questions. 

View solution in original post

Tashrwilliams
Underground

I've had this problem too and it's not Just on one of my stations but it happens to all of them. And it's not random songs either it's the songs that I've liked on other stations that play. Why is J Cole playing on my JILL SCOTT radio. They are two very different artist and put out two very different types of music(nowhere near being similar) However this song in my picture (MiddleChild) is a song I've liked on my J Cole station. Similarly, I've had GOSPEL MUSIC play on my Megan Thee stallion radio 😐. None of the random music or genres is liked on the station it has intruded on. (I would never like a gospel song on my Megan Thee Stallion radio, that's stupid). I also know it's not my likes because I've started a City Girls station that I immediately deleted cause it was playing songs and artist that aren't even close to being similar., THAT happened on a NEW station that I've never had before. So, if checking the likes doesn't work in this case, anybody got another fix? Because it's absolutely annoying 🙃 and actually only started about a month or two ago...maybe it was one of your updates...

61189035-AA49-4ACE-B358-0F2D82A4205D.png

MSrocks
Local Performer

I have a station named Johnny Cash, this should be a country station. But recently songs like the Scorpions Wind of Change have popped up and played on this station. I do have this song thumbs up and have a station for Wind of Change but i do not expect it to show up on the Johnny Cash station. I do not have the shuffle feature selected.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@MSrocks If you are having issues with the music selection playing on your Johnny Cash station, I recommend checking out the suggestions in this help page article

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

Adam | Community Moderator

brennag
Local Performer

If I give a song a thumbs down in one playlist, will it prevent it from playing in all playlists?

AlyssaPandora

@brennag Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb Up and Thumb Down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

With playlists, you won't be able to use your Thumb feedback as these act differently than stations. 

For more info about stations and playlists, feel free to check out this helpful article.

Hope this info is helpful. Happy listening 🎧

0 Kudos

Lexus3825
Local Performer

I have experienced a  similar situation with my pandora station! I have emailed them numerous times! Yet the issue persists! I sincerely doubt that pandora cares!

JuliaRB
Underground
Same issue here. The station I'm listening to is Macedonian Traditional, which until now has been a mostly instrumental mix of centuries-old songs with the occasional old European Language solo or choral piece. So far, in the last hour, I've had selections from Louis Armstrong, Michael Jackson, The Temptations, and Journey, along with Cham's Ghetto Story Chapter 2, a selection off Mavado's Gangsta For Life, and Redbone's Come and Get Your Love. I've been using Pandora for years, Macedonian Traditional has been one of my stations nearly the entire time, and I've never had such random unrelated music pop up. It is super irritating!

DeadManWalking
Local Performer

Why is Pandora forcing me to listen to a lot of garbage music and "artists" I don't like on my Bruce Springsteen station?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@DeadManWalking Sorry to hear that your station isn't playing the way you want it to.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

I recommend checking out this help page article for tips on how you can improve your listening experience.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

Steph613
Local Performer

Why is my stations mixing?  I have a country station on yet I'm receiving rap music. How do you fix this Because I do not wish to listen to rap Right now. if I did I would have it on the rap station.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

TannerPandora

Hi @Steph613 Thanks for posting to community! 

Sorry to hear that your stations aren't playing the way you want them to.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

Couple of things to check on that may be affecting the station(s):

• Thumb feedback - thumbed up songs will bring in more variety. Be sure to check your thumb up rating and edit any songs that may not fit your station. 
  • Station seeds - Adding variety may bring in additional music, I'd recommend checking to see if erroneous seeds have been added. If you need steps on how to edit your station seeds, let me know. 

If this all looks okay, I'm happy to have our User Support team team take a closer look. Just let me know which station(s) you're having trouble with. 

Thanks again for being part of community! 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

JuliaRB
Underground

Apparently Louise Armstrong and Michael Jackson are now Sephardic Traditional artists??? I deleted my Macedonian Traditional station 2 months ago because there was so much unrelated stuff from mid to late 20th century artists. No matter how many times I clicked dislike for one of those artists, another would pop up three songs later. Now I'm having the same issue on another station. I've had my Pandora account for years without any problems, but these last few months indicate that it may be time to close it out and move on.

AdamPandora

@JuliaRB I've escalated your reports over to the team who takes care of our collection.

They will be investigating both stations you mentioned, so you may see the Macedonian Traditional Radio station in your collection again as they will need to take a closer look.

Thank you for reporting this! 

0 Kudos

Patrick_bellows
Local Performer

When I am listening to foothills worship radio, after a few hours it will start playing songs not even related to the station such as songs that swear every ten seconds while I am trying to listen to godly music