cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

andi3
Underground

Still having major issues with my station Ashokon Farewell.Screenshot (526).pngScreenshot (527).pngScreenshot (528).pngScreenshot (529).pngScreenshot (530).pngScreenshot (531).pngScreenshot (546).pngScreenshot (547).pngReally?Really?Screenshot (551).png

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora

Pandora Update 11/10/21:

Hi everyone! 👋🏽

Pandora tries to improve the chances that you will enjoy every song that plays. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given, and feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

We hope that the music Pandora plays will be just what you wanted, but occasionally Pandora will surprise you. When it's a welcome surprise give the song a Thumbs Up. Otherwise give it a Thumbs Down. This will help make your stations play more music that you like.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. Pick from different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbs given in a specific mode will guide the station in that direction. For example, if you prefer to hear the hits, and not much new music, listen under Crowd Faves and use Thumbs to direct your station.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This being said, if you believe you are hearing wildly out of place tracks on one of your stations, we are happy to help look into it further.

The next time it happens, please write us back with the following:

• The name of the station where this occurred:
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for the help!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies

AdamPandora

@andi3 I took a look at your Ashokan Farewell Radio station, and can see the out of place tracks are being pulled from an errant seed that you added: Air'dance by Robert Lauri

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing the additional artists/tracks that you added to your station:

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 5.52.23 AM.png

You can delete any of the bad seeds by editing your station.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

andi3
Underground

Hello, I made those changes. Should I get rid of all thumbs up that say
Radio? How can I tell if a song is a Radio station when I Thumbs Up it?
*Andrea Woods*

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Info

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@andi3 You can keep any Thumbs Up ratings on your station that were intended.

If you gave a Thumbs Up to any tracks that you don't actually want to hear on that specific station, then I would recommend removing them.

Also can you please clarify with me what you mean by this: How can I tell if a song is a Radio station when I Thumbs Up it?

To clarify, do you need help creating a station based off of a specific song you gave a Thumbs Up to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

andi3
Underground
When I look at my Thumbs Up choices on one of my stations, some say Radio
to the right of the artist/song. So what is the difference when it says
Radio and when it does not? I do not need help creating a station, I want
to know if when I Thumbs Up a song, why do some have the designation
"Radio".
Thank you for your help.
*Andrea Woods*
www.andreawoods-art.com
www.instagram.com/andrea.woods.art
https://data.fineartstudioonline.com/follow/?admin_id=78655
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@andi3 Thanks for clarifying that with me.

Those indicate tracks that will only play on your radio stations, but can't be played on demand.

Although the majority of the songs in our collection will be eligible to be played without restrictions, you may encounter a portion of songs that are unavailable or labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions. In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

We are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline. Our intention is to provide enough music you enjoy to avoid any inconvenience around this.

Hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos

bkwdayton
Local Performer

How do we contact someone at Pandora to tell them about a station that doesn’t play the music its title advertises?

Instrumental Guitar Music Radio doesn’t play guitar music. I have listened to it for hours and it sounds little different from  the Instrumental Chill Radio station. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@bkwdayton That doesn't appear to be one of our curated Genre stations.

I'm showing your created a station based off of the song Instrumental Guitar Music by Dog Music:

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 6.48.29 AM.png

I would recommend deleting that station from your collection since it doesn't sound like that is what you were looking for.

At the moment, we don't have the option to filter out all songs with lyrics on Pandora stations. If you'd like to see this option implemented, feel free to upvote this existing feature request with a ❤️: Instrumental tracks only.

In the meantime, you can find instrumental stations and playlists by searching for "instrumental." You can also try creating stations based on a number of artists or individual songs that exemplify the sound you are looking for (e.g., songs without lyrics). You can add multiple artists or songs to a station using our Add Variety feature.

++

Pandora Premium:

For complete control of what you hear on Pandora, try Pandora Premium. It combines our radio service with on-demand listening and allows you to create custom playlists, so you can create full playlists with only instrumental music. Use this link to learn about the many benefits of upgrading.

Hope this information is helpful!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Pandora Update 11/10/21:

Hi everyone! 👋🏽

Pandora tries to improve the chances that you will enjoy every song that plays. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given, and feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

We hope that the music Pandora plays will be just what you wanted, but occasionally Pandora will surprise you. When it's a welcome surprise give the song a Thumbs Up. Otherwise give it a Thumbs Down. This will help make your stations play more music that you like.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. Pick from different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbs given in a specific mode will guide the station in that direction. For example, if you prefer to hear the hits, and not much new music, listen under Crowd Faves and use Thumbs to direct your station.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This being said, if you believe you are hearing wildly out of place tracks on one of your stations, we are happy to help look into it further.

The next time it happens, please write us back with the following:

• The name of the station where this occurred:
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

burgertime
Underground

I'm having a lot of issues lately with another, newer station I made based on a couple of my favorite Placebo songs. This band is like alt rock/glam rock/industrial/sort of gothy. The station tried to play all of the following, which are not reasonable choices:

Escala (classical)

Fleurie (folk/"atmospheric")

Michelle McLaughlin (piano elevator music, basically)

Sia (pop singer)

Ruelle (basically same as Fleurie)

Lindsey Stirling (violin dubstep I guess? I like her, but it's so wrong here)

Tommee Proffit (movie soundtrack type soundscapes)

Kaleo (blues, and why does this guy sound like he's dying when he "sings", lol)

What the heck is going on with the algorithm? No matter how many of these wildly out of place songs I give a thumbs down, it keeps trying them. Some of the songs were ones I gave a thumbs up on a completely different station, so obviously even with thumbprint turned off, things are still leaking over into unrelated stations. This was on normal station mode.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@burgertime What is the name of the station this is happening on?

Is it the one named Placebo?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

burgertime
Underground

Yes, that's the one.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@burgertime I had our engineering team take a look at your Placebo station, and they have confirmed that all of the artists you mentioned are being pulled from the additional seed that you added: Running Up That Hill by Placebo

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing the additional artists/tracks that you added to your station:

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 4.11.46 AM.pngTo prevent the artists you mentioned from playing on this station, you will need to delete that added seed by editing your station.

To delete that seed from a computer:

2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that seed from a mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps, and we thank you for your feedback.

0 Kudos

burgertime
Underground

Is that because this is a Kate Bush cover or something? I'm still not understanding why a Placebo song would bring in instrumental piano music or epic movie soundtracks. Do you think it would get a better result if I just made the artist the only seed?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@burgertime That is up to you, however I do see you removed the song seed that was pulling in the out of place tracks, so your station should be good to go.

I would continue to Thumb Down any tracks you don't want to hear on that station, and your station will continue to learn what you want to/don't want to listen to.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

PatrickElliot
Local Performer

So, today I searched for the Ray Charles Singers on Pandora. The songs that began playing were all classic R&B. I love Ray Charles, of course, but the Ray Charles Singers had nothing to do with Ray Charles and were decidedly not an R&B act. They were formed and conducted by Charles Raymond Offerman who went professionally by Ray Charles, and was born in 1918.  It was Perry Como who suggested the name for the chorus.  Pandora need some OLD people working for them to keep mistakes like this from proliferating. I'm avaliable 😉

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Thanks for reporting this, @PatrickElliot.

I am going to pass your feedback along to our curation team so they can further investigate.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

ValVista1
Local Performer

My listening prefs have been cello, piano, new age, etc.  One day I heard a tune by someone called 'Cheka', thought it was kind of different and ok so gave it a thumb up

My god what a mistake.  I've heard so much rap/hip hop noise interspersed with my selected stations.  And it's gone from irritating to infuriating.

I turned on explicit filtering, so now I get the 'clean' versions of such classics as 'Songs to be murdered by'.

I've thumbs-downed every tune I could get to soon enough to do so.  I've deleted a lot of my stations.\

All to no avail.

UNLEARN that grave mistake I made that fateful day.  Give us a tool to block entire genres.  Your algorithms sorely need refining.  No wonder Spotify is kicking you to the curb.

And another one is playing!  And it's showing thumbs down as it's playing.

'I Hope You Miss Me', Joseph Black.

INote:  never play single stations.  Only 'Shuffle' mode with stations I select.

I'm desperately looking for a Pandora alternative.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@ValVista1 The next time it happens, please write us back with the following:

• The date/time the out of place track(s) played

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

ValVista1
Local Performer

Date: 2021-11-21

Time: 0918 hrs

Track Title: 'I Do Everything'

Thumbs Down Successful?: Yes

Mode: None

Shuffle: On

Screenshot:  I have one but where do I attach it?

Note: Another one played while I was typing this.  'Family Matters' by Cordae.  I can't keep up with it anymore.

0 Kudos