cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Jkononchik
Local Performer

Why is it that every so often, somedays more often than others, if I’m listening to lets say Motown Radio or another station I’ll get some random song from Creedence Clearwater, Beatles, Eagles, etc. that has nothing related to the genre of that station that I am listening to? This drives me crazy. Is this the same with Pandora Plus?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
370 Replies

AdamPandora

@twoolaver Nice to see you around the community.  

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Can you write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred.
  • The name(s) of the rap artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the rap track(s).
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Let me know, and I'll take a look.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

nielson_caetano
Opening Act

I was streaming the Smooth Jazz station on Pandora about 2 weeks ago. It played a song unrelated to Smooth Jazz, even though I didn’t thumb any songs. 
It played Billie Eilish’s song “everything i wanted”. The problem had happened before, certain songs unrelated to Smooth Jazz played, certain Ed Sheeran songs, Toto’s “Africa”, two Billie Eilish songs, and so on. This should have been fixed already.

C9EEA26A-2F96-4C79-B777-53EC8139E39D.png

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @nielson_caetano, I moved your new post over to Hearing out of place tracks on station to keep things tidy.

I do see that you posted in this thread about out of place songs on your 'Smooth Jazz Radio' station and a ticket is open for this. 

In the meantime, I recommend following @AdamPandora suggestion in his response post of thumbing down the songs. 

Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

DaveKoe
Local Performer

I know Pandora claims the personalized stations do not share preferences, but that's clearly not the case. I have a station of more mellow tunes that often plays songs that have nothing in common with the seeds and thumbed up songs for that station, but do strongly match seeds and my preferences from my other main station. How do I prevent that?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@DaveKoe I moved your post to this thread as it sounds like you are experiencing a similar issue.

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Can you write me back with the following?

• The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) that played.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

0 Kudos

DaveKoe
Local Performer

Thanks for your quick reply. I answered by email, and didn't realize it wouldn't show up here.

Answers:

Station name: Mellow Mix

Titles and Artists out of place...

Tighten Up - The Black Keys
Wolf Like Me - TV On The Radio
Heaven Knows - The Pretty Reckless
Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones
Parov Stelar - Booty Swing
Blue Monday - New Order
Feel It Still - Portugal. The Man

All of these songs were Thumbed Up in one of my other two stations that I listen to often. I have a general understanding of how things work on Pandora after many years of listening, and my station of mostly slower tempo and instrumental songs shouldn't be playing these songs unless it is reading my preferences from other stations.

I have been continuing to Thumbs down tunes that do not fit.

I wasn't using any special Pandora modes.

Dave

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@DaveKoe Thanks for sending that over.

I've taken a look at your account, and I think the problem here is that you've added an excessive amount of seeds to your Mellow Mix station. Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds. As a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

To edit your stations on a computer, first make sure you're signed into your Pandora account. Then:

1. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and select the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you to a station details page which shows you information about your personalized station.
  2. You can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by tapping the ellipsis (or three dots), or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.
  3. To delete a Thumbed track, scroll down to the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbed down tracks, click on the Thumbs down icon. Next, either select the ellipsis next to the Thumb or hover your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu. As before, select Delete.

Keep in mind that you can create up to 250 separate stations, so you might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

AnnieBlues
Local Performer

Yes it is. I have Pandora Plus and have the same problem.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@AnnieBlues I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Can you write me back with the following?

• The name(s) of the artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the track(s).
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?

0 Kudos

jeallen
Underground

I have had paid Pandora subscription for MANY years and there several channels that I listen to regularly. Lately I am finding that the stations are drifting further from their genre than I am accustomed to. For example, I have a Nancy Wilson station. In the past it's stuck pretty close to jazz vocalist genre, but recently it seems to have started playing music from other 'likes' such as Miles Davis.  Likewise, I listen to an Allman Brothers station, recently it started drifting from blues/southern rock to White Stripes. This isn't okay, as some of my stations are created for mutual listing with my wife and I am having to just turn it off because so much undesirable stuff is drifting in. 

All this to say, there seems to have been an update to you algorithm that isn't working for me. I can't manually 'unlike' the volume of songs that seem to be drifting in. Is there something you can do to let me exclude more than an individual song? Perhaps a conservative vs exploratory sampling setting? or sample only selected genre or sample on given years?

I should add I have had a Pandora subscription for MANY years

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@jeallen I moved your post to this thread since it sounds like you are experiencing a similar issue.

I had our support team take a look at the stations you mentioned, and they believe this issue is stemming from the additional seeds (variety) you've added to your stations.

If you want to hear more songs by a particular artist, then you might try removing the other artist and song seeds in that station.

To edit your station from a computer:

1. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, and then select the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you to a station details page which shows you information about your personalized station.
  2. If you'd like to edit your station's name or description, click on the small pencil icon to the left of the play button. (If that's not available, select the ellipsis, or three dots, and then Edit Station.)
  3. Otherwise, you can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by selecting the ellipsis and tapping Delete, or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.

You'll also find your Thumbed Up or Thumbed Down tracks in the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed Up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbs Down, click on the Thumbs Down icon.

To delete a Thumbed track, either select the ellipsis and select Delete or simply roll your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a Delete button. Now you should hear more of that particular artist on the station.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app. Pick from different modes like Artist Only which will play songs exclusively by the main station artists.

For complete control of what you hear on Pandora, you may consider upgrading to Pandora Premium. It combines our industry leading internet radio service with on-demand listening and easy playlist generation.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

jeallen
Underground

I have ONLY added female vocals from that era. So this still Channel drift in my option.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@jeallen You may want to look into the Thumbs Up ratings you've provided on your station as well.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

There are a number of variables that come into play when selecting the next song:

• The complete range of musical attributes for all of the songs we have by the artist you used to create the station. For example, for a station based on Brian Eno, you might hear rock songs and ambient music. You might try creating a station from one of the artist's songs instead (e.g. Lucky Star by Madonna). This should make the station much more specific.

• The type of feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings) and any additional artist or song seeds you've added to the station. Pandora lumps all this together and tries to determine what the best musical match is based on our musical analysis.

To improve your stations, here are a couple of things to try:

1. Thumb down tracks that do not fit. This will prevent that song from playing again, and Pandora will learn more about what you don't want to hear.
  2. Make sure each of the thumbs-up you've given fits in with the type of station you are trying to create. If not, then remove that thumbs-up rating from the station page.
  3. When listening from a computer, a mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

If you need help editing your stations, let me know.

Of course, Pandora Premium subscribers can also create custom playlists in order to have complete control of what they hear on Pandora. If you want more information about that, let me know.

0 Kudos

NMBruce
Underground

I have classical, jazz, rat pack, 70-80's music and country stations and I have favorite songs from each, but why when I am playing the Frank Sinatra station does a bunch of country songs play or other venues?  Some songs are favorites, but I dont want to listen to country or rock & roll, I am trying to listen Frank and music that goes with him, so I get maybe a Michael Buble but not others, same with Jazz or Eagles.

How do I stop this from happening?

Thanks

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@NMBruce Our engineers would be happy to look into this, but they will need additional information before they can do so.

The next time a country, or out of place track play son your Frank Sinatra station, please make sure to give that track a Thumbs Down.

Then reply back to this thread and let me know - I can then pass that feedback along to our engineers so they can investigate.

Thanks for all of your help with this. 

NMBruce
Underground
thanks I will

NMBruce
Underground

@AdamPandora

today I was listening to Micheal Bublé radio starting at around 12:23 MST and over the next 10 songs, I got one Micheal Bublé song and 8 country and western songs and one rock & roll. I took screen shots of all the non venue songs and I thumbed down a couple of them, but the others I really liked and let some of them play,  Two that I thumbed down where Josh Turner, Everything is fine at 12:23 MST and Luke Combs Even Though I'm leaving at 12:57 who I dont even know or like.

I'm sorry but I should be able to thumb up a song to go into my "thumb up" playlist with out learning that venue all the time.

Bruce 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@NMBruce Thanks for sending that over - I am going to escalate your report to our engineers so they can take a closer look at your station. 🔎

0 Kudos

Tomd3187
Underground

I feel your pain, I’ve been having the same problem.  Listening to 60’s Classic Rock and then all of the sudden hip-hop or Ed Sheeran plays.  That makes zero sense and frustrates the heck out of me because I’m an old guy and can’t stand hip-hop and not an Ed Sheeran guy.

Pandora, somebody has messed with something that used to work just fine.  

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @Tomd3187. 👋

Sorry to hear that is happening.

What is the exact station name you're listening to?

Also, are you giving a Thumbs Down 👎to those out of place tracks?

Let me know, and I can take a deeper look to see what's happening for you.

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos