cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Jkononchik
Local Performer

Why is it that every so often, somedays more often than others, if I’m listening to lets say Motown Radio or another station I’ll get some random song from Creedence Clearwater, Beatles, Eagles, etc. that has nothing related to the genre of that station that I am listening to? This drives me crazy. Is this the same with Pandora Plus?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
370 Replies

sseebart
Local Performer

I've had a Pandora account for years and recently upgraded to premium (after a few years with Google Play music). Yesterday the station drift on Pandora was terrible: my 80's New Wave station was predominantly 70's Disco--right down to multiple tracks from Saturday Night Fever. Later, about 80% of my smooth jazz station was soft rock.

I can't always get to the app to hit the thumbs down button. I had the jazz station on while I was trying to fall asleep, and earlier in the day I had music on while welding. Sometimes, I just want the (right) music to play! Should I delete my 800 or so thumbs up, all my stations (or both) and start over?

I switched over to Pandora because it's the default service for Yamaha's Musicast App. I haven't been able to find a Pandora Mode feature in this app like the one you described for Sonos. Does it exist, or are there plans to implement it? It's disappointing to pay for a premium service but not have the features available on my best sound system. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@sseebart I definitely understand your frustration with this. 

80's New Wave station:

Since thumb ratings are station specific, I don't recommend deleting all of your other stations/thumb ratings you've provided on those stations, as that won't resolve the issue you are experiencing with your specific 80's New Wave station.

I'm happy to have one of our engineers look into your station for you, however they will need specific examples before they can do so.

The next time an out of place track plays on your 80's New Wave station, please make sure to give it a thumbs down, and reply back to this thread and let me know the name of the out of place track and artist that played.

Pandora Modes on Sonos:

You can now listen to Pandora Modes from the Sonos app. This feature allows you to discover and change a station mode, see the current mode you're listening to, and favorite a specific mode from the Sonos app.

To view, favorite and switch your listening Mode on the Sonos app, please follow the specific steps for Sonos detailed in this article.

*That being said, not all Pandora Modes will be available on every station, so if you don't see the option showing, then it is likely not available yet on that particular station you are listening to. 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Tomd3187
Underground

Hello Alyssa,

Thanks for the reply.  I get this issue on almost all of my playlists now.  Here are a few playlists that I listen to the most and where the genre is clearly misplaced:

1.  Trashcan Sinatras Radio (I have several varieties added but all in the same genre)

2.  The Turtles Radio Station (again, added other 60's & 70's rock bands but am getting late 90's and 2000's in it).

3.  AC/DC Radio.  Same issue.

I think that the thumbs-up songs get interspersed in these playlists.  My daughters have thumbed-up some of their favorite songs (pop, hip-hop) and somehow those thumbed-up songs are now randomly playing in my playlists.  I have looked all over for some box that is checked that allows this but haven't found it.  

This issue started about 6 months ago and I figured it was some "new feature" that Pandora had programmed in and I just need to uncheck a box.  Haven't found it.

It's very frustrating.

Thanks again,

Tom

sseebart
Local Performer

@AdamPandora , thanks for the tips on the 80's stations. Some of my stations date back 10 years or so and it may be time for a general housecleaning. If things still don't work, I'll check back in.

Sonos and MusicCast

I don't think you read the rest of my post very closely. I don't have a Sonos system, but a similar amp from Yamaha. Yamaha's app, MusicCast, has Pandora as the featured music service (along with Spotify and others I'd never heard of.) I haven't been able to find Pandora Modes in the MusicCast app, so I'm wondering if I missed it somewhere or if there are plans to implement it in the future. 

As I mentioned before, it's disappointing to pay for top-tier service only to find the features unavailable on most platforms.

AdamPandora

@Tomd3187 Thanks for following up.

AC/DC Radio station:

We took a quick look at the stations you mentioned, however were only able to see some inconsistencies with your AC/DC Radio station.

I am going to have our engineers take look at that station to see if they have any suggestions to resolve this, or if they need to further investigate. 

Trashcan Sinatras Radio and The Turtles Radio:

Our engineers are happy to look into these additional stations as well, however they will need specific examples of out of place tracks playing on those stations.

The next time you hear an out of place track play on either of those stations, make sure to give them a thumbs down.

We'll then need you to reply back to this thread to let us know, and I'll then pass your feedback along to our engineers. 

Thanks for your patience with this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@sseebart Thank you for clarifying that with me.

At this time Pandora Modes are only available on our website, mobile devices, and the Sonos app, but we have let our product team know you'd be interested in seeing this on other devices.

In the meantime, keep in mind that if you Thumb while listening to a Pandora Mode, your Thumbs will carry over to your other devices. In other words, if you give a Thumbs Up while listening in Newly Released mode on the web, your station will learn that you want more New Music on that station, and you should see more new music across all of your devices.

I hope this helps a bit. Thanks again for reaching out!

0 Kudos

Tomd3187
Underground

Hello Adam,

Here are three examples of out-of-place songs.  Yesterday evening I was listening to my "Trashcan Sinatras" playlist which is essentially 80's and early 90's alternative music when "American Beauty, Film Score" by Thomas Newman played (5:30PM MST), "La Femme D'Argent" by Air (5:35pm MST) and then "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and the Machine played at 5:40pm.  All three of those songs are in other playlists as favorites or thumbs-up but not in the one that was playing.  This is what I have noticed, blocks of songs from another genre will show up for 3-4 songs and then the correct genre will restart.  This is happening on more than one playlist as I have heard it on Classic Rock, hard rock and new age.  It's strange.  I believe that all of the songs that show up are thumbed-up songs from other playlists.  It's like someone introduced a feature that enabled a "would you like us to throw-in some of your thumbed-up music regardless of genre" feature.....  Thanks for your help.  Tom

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Tomd3187 So it looks like you currently have two stations named Trashcan Sinatras Radio on your account.

One of them is made up of 10+ different artist seeds, while the other is only made up of 2 artist seeds.

To clarify, is this happening on the station with 10+ different artist seeds?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

dudaduda8
Local Performer

it is doing something else, i have like 40 stations which are each different, now pandora is throwing in music from other stations instead of allowing each to be independant

0 Kudos

NMBruce
Underground

So I see that there are many others having the same problem,  so has anything been found?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@NMBruce Our engineers are still looking into the specific issue you were running into with your station.

Thanks again for all your patience with this! 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@dudaduda8 I'm happy to have one of our engineers look into your station.

Before I can do so, I am going to need a specific example. The next time this happens please:

• Give the out of place track a thumbs down on your station
  • Take a screenshot of the out of place track
  • Reply back to this thread noting the name of the station it played on, as well as providing the screenshot you took of the out of place track that played

Thanks for all your help with this! 

0 Kudos

Tomd3187
Underground

Hi Adam, 

Yes, it is the one with 10+ seeds.  I will delete the other.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos

Ericx145
Local Performer

My favorite station is messed up! So I listen to our last night radio! Kinds a screen rock pop band, now that station had like all my favorite bands on there and other great rock, now outta no where our last night radio is playing weird screamo bands I've never heard of and plays no our last night... I lost all my thumbs up on this station now it plays bs... 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Ericx145 Nice to see you around the community. 👋🏽

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Can you write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred.
  • The name(s) of the artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s).
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Let me know, and I'll take a look.

0 Kudos

Ericx145
Local Performer

Hey man! I figured it out lol had no idea you can change the station to other things, it wasnt on my station it was on discovery had no clue you could do that! But thank you a ton glad I randomly fixed it

TannerPandora

Glad to hear it worked out @Ericx145

Modes can be a really cool thing to try out. I use it all the time. For more info on how it works, click here

Happy Saturday!

Tanner | Community Moderator

a2hl
Local Performer

I know this is a little older post but I am having the same issue. My "90s Pop Radio" station seems like it plays more country music that Pop sometimes.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@a2hl Genre stations, such as "90s Pop Radio" are stations created and curated by Pandora, and they often include more mainstream artists and songs.

As an alternative, we recommend creating your own station, using an artist or song that you think best represents a particular genre. Then use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

Additionally, you may Add Variety to the station you create, in order to include other artists or songs you'd like to influence your station.

Keep in mind, each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way. If you don't like the direction your station is headed, you can always edit your station seeds and Thumbs through the Station Details.

That said, when you're listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Wedduhman
Local Performer

I work out listening to the Boogie Woogie piano station, and in the past couple of months there has been a tremendous amount of techno funk music that plays. I fast forward only to find another one... I fast forward only to find another one... And before long I can't fast-forward anymore and there's another one of those $#%&* songs. Please clean it up! Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos