cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Jkononchik
Local Performer

Why is it that every so often, somedays more often than others, if I’m listening to lets say Motown Radio or another station I’ll get some random song from Creedence Clearwater, Beatles, Eagles, etc. that has nothing related to the genre of that station that I am listening to? This drives me crazy. Is this the same with Pandora Plus?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
370 Replies

AdamPandora

@Wedduhman I moved your post to this thread to keep the community organized.

After taking a look at your account, I found that you have added an errant seed, R3HAB, to that station. That's why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing this errant seed:

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 7.33.53 AM.png

You can delete the bad seed by editing your station.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps! 😎

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

KerryandErin
Local Performer

So I see that others have reported this. I have a channel for Jerry Garcia acoustic, have had for a couple of years at least. Recently after listening an hour or so, suddenly it will begin playing totally unrelated songs that I might have upthumbed on other channels. I then enter this frantic down thumbing process, but the station stubbornly continues playing unrelated songs until I turn off Pandora completely. I’m paying for a premium subscription and this is really, really annoying.

TannerPandora

Hi @KerryandErin thanks for writing and sorry for the trouble. I've moved your post over to a thread that is similar to your issue

I checked out your 'Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band Radio' station and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on my end.

I'm going to go ahead and pass this along to our curation team for further investigation. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

Netg00r00
Underground

To whom it may concern, most of the time I enjoy listening to pandora in my car, and at the gym when I am working out. Most times I have a positive experience. However, there are times that I experience, more frequently as of late, that I am listening to one of my stations, and a song from another station, which I may have thumbed up before, starts playing on the current station I am listening to. Most times I'm like.. "**ahem** is that, and why is it playing on this station"?? An example is I may be listening to my 90's alt rock station, and a sail by awolnation will play, as I have a station with chillstep music on it. Or, I'll be listening to five finger death punch radio, and a 90's alt rock song will play... Cmon guys!

If I'm listening to my ffdp station, that's the kind of music I want to hear, and just because I thumbed up one song on another station, with a vastly different music sound, that's not an "Ok" sign to play it on any of my other stations.

One last thing. The "Thumbs up" station you offer, I don't want to listen to all the songs I ever thumbed up at the same time. Again, as has been stated, I don't want to here deadmouse one minute, and the next song be nirvana. That's just plain retarded.

So, my hope is that this gives the big wigs, who sit in the big chairs, a clue about how we, as listeners, want to hear our music.

Thanks

Netg00r00

Moderator Edit: Format

AdamPandora

@Netg00r00 I moved your post to this thread since you are experiencing a similar issue.

90s Alternative Radio:

Genre stations, such as "90s Alternative" or "Today's Hits," are stations created and curated by Pandora, and they often include more mainstream artists and songs.

As an alternative, we recommend creating your own station, using an artist or song that you think best represents a particular genre. Then use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

Additionally, you may Add Variety to the station you create, in order to include other artists or songs you'd like to influence your station.

Keep in mind, each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way. If you don't like the direction your station is headed, you can always edit your station seeds and Thumbs through the Station Details.

That said, when you're listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts. Let me know if you'd like more information about that.

Five Finger Death Punch Radio:

Regular Pandora stations (such as your Five Finger Death Punch station) adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

There are a number of variables that come into play when selecting the next song:

• The complete range of musical attributes for all of the songs we have by the artist you used to create the station. For example, for a station based on Brian Eno, you might hear rock songs and ambient music. You might try creating a station from one of the artist's songs instead (e.g. Lucky Star by Madonna). This should make the station much more specific.

• The type of feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings) and any additional artist or song seeds you've added to the station. Pandora lumps all this together and tries to determine what the best musical match is based on our musical analysis.

To improve your stations, here are a couple of things to try:

1. Thumb down tracks that do not fit. This will prevent that song from playing again, and Pandora will learn more about what you don't want to hear.
  2. Make sure each of the thumbs-up you've given fits in with the type of station you are trying to create. If not, then remove that thumbs-up rating from the station page.
  3. When listening from a computer, a mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbprint Radio:

Thumbprint Radio uses your thumbs to create a unique listening experience. By playing both thumbed-up and non-thumbed tracks from across all your stations, we hope to bring you lots of your favorites while sprinkling in some new finds in a seamless listening journey.

In any case, thank you for your feedback around the way Thumbprint Radio currently functions.

This type of information is very helpful as we work to improve our services for all of our listeners.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 😄

0 Kudos

Netg00r00
Underground

Hello @AdamPandora

I know what all the stations are, and how they work. I don't need a lesson in "Basic listening information" on pandora. 😕

The main point I was trying to get across to pandora, not it's pawns who try to answer "Questions" with meaningless technobabble, was that hearing songs that are not part of the current station I am listening to is wrong, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experiences this. Additionally, putting all of our songs we "Thumb up" into one "Station" is also not a well thought out way of allowing listeners to enjoy those songs. Again, as an example, when I'm listening to my "Thumbed up" station, I don't want to hear deadmouse right after I hear a nickleback song. Obviously, these two genre's don't go together.

Bottom line is that ideally, we would all enjoy someone fixing these issues who actually has a clue as to what true music lovers enjoy!

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

Netg00r00
Underground

@KerryandErinI'm SO glad to see that you are experiencing this craziness as well. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hopefully, Pandora will get a fkn clue, and finally realize that messing with the stations that we love with totally unrelated, and different genre music is just idiotic, and frustrates it's listener base beyond words.

Thanks again for sharing.

joemd1960
On the Rise

And it continues, I have Motown Radio on. So far I have heard only one Motown song. 
Help me out, is the song Fortunate son a Motown song?? 😃
I also love disco, yet everything else that has been playing is disco, not Motown. Sheesh Pandora, I love you but fix the genres please. 😉😊

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@joemd1960 After our engineers took a look at your Motown Radio station, they noticed you gave a thumbs up to the track Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet, by Gonzales which.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

They recommend removing that thumbed up track, as well as any others that may be skewing your station to prevent any other unwanted music from playing again.

If you need me to send over some steps on how to remove that thumbed up track, let me know and I'll be happy to help with that as well.

joemd1960
On the Rise

Thanks Adam! I don’t recall thumbing down that song. But I can check, when I get a chance. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. 

joemd1960
On the Rise

Adam, that particular song is greyed on the Motown Station. Thanks

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@joemd1960 Thanks for following up.

I had someone from our support team go into your station and delete the Thumbs Up rating for Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

julie942
Local Performer

I have a similar situation. Let's say I'm listening to my Spanish Classical Guitar station, but about 75% of the songs that play are unwanted cross-overs from my Techno station. Not related at all -- how did they even get there? One day I counted 10 Techno songs in a row on the Spanish Guitar station. If I give those 10 a thumbs-down on Spanish Guitar, will that fix the cross-contamination problem? I don't want to give them thumbs-down if that will drop them from the Techno station where they actually do belong. It would be great if Pandora had a way to mark a song as "Great song but not on this station." (Thumbs-down seems too strong: "I don't like this song.")

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@julie942 Nice to see you around the community. 👋🏽

Techno songs playing on your Spanish Guitar station:

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first.

The next time this happens, can you write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred - Spanish Guitar
  • The name(s) of the techno artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the techno track(s).
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Let me know, and I'll take a look.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

How thumb ratings affect your other stations:

Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb Up and Thumb Down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

Hope this helps clarify! 

0 Kudos

mattspringer
Opening Act

I've been training a classical music station for the last couple of months.  It's pretty eclectic but absolutely NONE of the seed pieces or thumbed-up pieces are atonal contemporary music.  And yet, the station keeps trying to play atonal screechy dissonant string quartet music (never atonal dissonant symphonic music, just string quartet).  I'll give the piece a thumbs down, and then later another one pops up.  Sometimes even twice in a row.  It seems that my other thumbs up and thumbs down are, for the most part, being honored; I don't know where this is coming from because everything else I've thumbed up on this station is hugely different from these.  I just checked my thumbed-down songs on that station, and out of 100 songs thumbed down, ~25 of them are dissonant screechy string quartet music.  What can I do?  Can I at least give a thumbs down to a specific composer, which would also solve most of this since its just a few screechy composers whose music keeps getting inappropriately played?  (You'd think this is one of the most basic musical characteristics that Pandora would recognize.)  Thanks.   (Think Klingon opera being performed by angry cats.)

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for posting @mattspringer! Sorry to hear that your station is playing out of place songs. 

Happy to take a deeper look into this. I see that you have two different Classical stations, can you let me know the name of the station you're having trouble with?

I took a cursory look at both of them just to see if anything stood out and I see that you've heavily seeded each station. Keep in mind, adding this many seeds can open up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. The more seeds you add, the more variety will be introduced to the station, it won't narrow the genre of music you'll hear. 

It may be worth trying to remove a few seeds to help better focus the station. In the meantime, let me know the name of the station and I'll take a closer look. 👍🏻

Thanks!

0 Kudos

mattspringer
Opening Act

Thanks; I have a regular station called Classical, and one of your prepopulated stations called Complete Classical Performances.  I'm talking about the first one, which is a normal station.  The second one does not allow seeds; those are all from you, and I don't use that station anymore because I can't suggest music for it.  In fact, I'll delete because I got kind of fed up with it...  I know I have many seeds in Classical but they are all for the types of music I like, none of them come anywhere near being the atonal dissonant stuff with which I'm having problems.  It's interesting that the station knows to not play atonal dissonant orchestral music; it's just the string quartets that are doing this and I do not have many string quartet seeds at all; and those are all Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, etc.  I may have a Shostakovich string quartet in there, perhaps that is tricking the system, but I'd still find it strange.  

0 Kudos

mattspringer
Opening Act

No way to give a thumbs down to a composer?  That would be really helpful.

0 Kudos

mattspringer
Opening Act

I think I may have figured it out: my Beethoven string quartet seeds are mostly performances by the Alban Berg String Quartet.  Alban Berg is one of those atonal composers and perhaps Pandora is getting its terms confused, thinking it's string quartet music by Alban Berg rather than the name of the performance group.  I just deleted all of those; we'll see if that helps.  Should not be a problem so it's a bug, but it still could explain it.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @mattspringer

Let me know if removing those seeds help with your station. I'll also take a look at 'Alban Berg' and see if any disambiguation is needed on our end.

Unfortunately, it's currently not a feature to thumb-down a composer or artist at this time.

There is a feature request for this idea under Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules, and I encourage to give this a vote ( ❤️) if you're interested in seeing this for Pandora. The more votes an idea gets the more likely that it will be looked at for our roadmap at some point. 

If you're still having trouble on your station, just tag me by typing @TannerPandora and myself or someone will have a deeper look. 

Enjoy the tunes!

0 Kudos