cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Jkononchik
Local Performer

Why is it that every so often, somedays more often than others, if I’m listening to lets say Motown Radio or another station I’ll get some random song from Creedence Clearwater, Beatles, Eagles, etc. that has nothing related to the genre of that station that I am listening to? This drives me crazy. Is this the same with Pandora Plus?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
370 Replies

mensrea187
Local Performer

Hi! 

I have a station dedicated to Jimmy Durante station on my Pandora account and it will randomly play 90s rock music. Why? 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@mensrea187 I moved your post to this thread to keep the community organized.

After taking a look at your account, I found that you have added an errant seed, Pearl Jam, to that station. That's why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing this errant seed:

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 7.16.57 AM.png

You can delete the bad seed by editing your station.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps! 😎

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Shimmey
Local Performer

'Hipster Cocktail Party' has gone rogue.  It's been flooded with songs I've never heard by artists that have not ever been in the station lineup.  Has this happened to anyone else's fave station(s)? 

What to do?

Thanks.   

AdamPandora

@Shimmey Nice to see you around the community. 👋🏽

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first.

The next time an out of place track plays on your station, can you please make note and write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred: Hipster Cocktail Party
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s).
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s).
  • Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Let me know, and I'll take a look.

0 Kudos

Martians
Local Performer

Hi. Does anyone know how I can get a reggae station to just play reggae?   My station is based on Bob Marley’s Buffalo Soldier song.  Today Keith Urban and Joan Jett played.  Recently it was freaking def leopard.    I thumbs down every non-reggae song and thumbs up many reggae songs.   I have had this station a long time and it used to play a lot more reggae.    Is pandora broken or what?   It’s not worth to have pandora radio if they play non sequiturs.    

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Martians. 👋

I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep the Community space organized: Hearing out of place tracks on station

Thanks for taking the time to report this. A member from our User Support team took at a deeper look at your station. We've reached out to our engineering team to look deeper into what is happening with your station. 

In the meantime, if any out of place tracks play on that station, please continue to give them a 👎

Thanks for your patience while they investigate your station. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Etalmage19
Underground

I agree!  I've been a paid Pandora subscriber for over 10 years and used to swear by it. But I feel like in the past 8 months or so, all my tried and tried stations are playing songs across one another (Amos Lee and my country stations playing songs from my Christian radio, Citizen cope playing Dave Matthews, which I never listen to or thumbs up, etc) and putting in random new songs that don't fit and have never played on these stations I've listened to for years!  This seemed to start all of a sudden and has been driving me nuts ever since!  What happened?! Please fix it or I won't be a paying customer anymore.

Etalmage19
Underground

Yesss!  This is exactly what I'm talking about!  Just because I like a song on one station doesn't mean I want to hear it on all the others!! Why did this just start happening last year?  Please fix it Pandora!!

AdamPandora

@Etalmage19 Thumb ratings are actually station specific - giving a thumb rating on one station won't affect any others you have collected. 

That being said, if you believe out of place music is playing on one of your stations, I'm happy to look into it further with you.

The next time an out of place track plays on your station, can you please make note and write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred: Hipster Cocktail Party
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Let me know, and I'll take a look.

0 Kudos

bricooper78
Underground

Same thing, I've got what should be (and is only "liked" as) 90's rap... I was unaware that artists such as AC/DC, Queen, and a bunch of 90's "that's what i call music" style dance music is all 90's rap...

I've got several channels built, and I don't necessarily hate anything that has been on that channel, but when I want to rattle windows with subs, I don't want to hear "Back in Black".

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@bricooper78 I'd be happy to look into this.

• The name of the station where this occurred: 

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

bricooper78
Underground

Station name is "Rap"

Yesterday it was "Blister in the Sun" by Violent Femmes.  Today while I was in the shower it was AC/DC and I can't remember what else. But it's not even close to rap.

I couldn't thumbs down the 3 this morning but did hit the Femmes yesterday. It's not the music, it's the wrong channel for it, I don't hate the music but I just want to hear rap on there not everything, I'm musically diverse, but I need to be in the mood lol

I have it set to "My channel"

thanks

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@bricooper78 Thanks for following up.

After taking a look at your Rap station, I found that you have added a couple of errant seeds to that station:

1. Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - Backstreet Boys
  2. Around The World - Daft Punk

That's why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing these errant seeds:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.27.23 PM.png

I recommend removing these seeds, along with any others you feel might be skewing your station preferences.

You can delete the bad seeds by editing your station on a computer or mobile device.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps! 😄

0 Kudos

bricooper78
Underground

Okay, I'll try that, must've hit the wrong side on the mower over the months. 

So, judging by the thread, those 2 aren't likely to fix it, what would a step two be, so I can hit it on the fly?  

I'm getting them deleted now btw

0 Kudos

bricooper78
Underground

And as I hit the app..

"Every little thing I do" by Soul for Real comes on. I thumbs down'd it.

this also only affects this station, correct? not any other station i build?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@bricooper78 That is correct.

Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb Up and Thumb Down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

Hope this helps clarify. 🤝

0 Kudos

bricooper78
Underground

Ok. Well Madonna "holiday" and Mariah Carey and boys to men were in there yesterday.

They changed something, and the stations don't stay specific.

I appreciate your replies to explain, thank you

0 Kudos

Zil
Local Performer

Stations I've had for years, suddenly flooded with irrelevant trash songs that I've never heard of before... and having to Thumbs Down over 60 of these piece of garbage in a row without Ever getting back to any of the artists/songs I know and love.. and eventually just closing down the app when I got stuck on some horrid noise that would not stop due to some bull**ahem** warning about not being able to skip due to licensing agreements or something.

I've had this happen a time or two in the past, but never to this extent... and while a few dozen horrible suggestions in a row without a break is frustrating.. this **ahem** right now is infuriating.

Not to mention a longstanding issue I've had with a few specific artists that I've never Thumbs Up-ed ANY of their songs, yet I've had to Thumbs Down almost every song they have ever made because it Still insists on trying to suggest them for some reason...  what happened to a couple Thumbs Downs for a single artist without any Up votes getting them banned from your station?  I've never been that lucky...

**ahem** is going on???

0 Kudos

Etalmage19
Underground

Adam, it happened twice yesterday:

The name of the station where this occurred: Highway to Hell AC/DC Radio
The name(s) of the out of place artist(s). Dan + Shay ; Blanco Brown
The title(s) of the out of place track(s).  Speechless ; The Git Up
Were you able to give the track(s) a Thumbs down? Yes
Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts? Just "My Station"

Speechless is a song I've liked on other stations, but it has no place on an AC/DC station.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Etalmage19 Thanks for following up with that information.

I have passed your feedback along to our engineers so they can take a closer look.

In the meantime, continue to give any out of place tracks you hear on that station a thumbs down.

Thanks for your patience! 🤝

0 Kudos