cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large percentage of albums unavailable

musiclover
Underground

I am frustrated with Pandora taking a sizable percentage of the best album selections of artists for their stations and making them unavailable for my music collection. They say it is because of their license but really it is their business model. I am a passionate music collector and I want the best albums out there. Charge me more for total access but still this unfair and customer slighting practice.

If I hadn't spent hundreds of hours working  on my collection andplatlists I would be looking elsewhere.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora

@musiclover Nice to see you around the community!

Although the majority of the songs in our collection will be eligible to be played without restrictions, you may encounter a portion of songs that are unavailable or labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions (as you noted). In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

We are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline. Our intention is to provide enough music you enjoy to avoid any inconvenience around this.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

100 Replies

jajg
Local Performer

I've been a Pandora One/Plus subscriber for years. What keeps me from going Pandora (and on Spotify) are shortcomings in Pandora that they don't even acknowledge much less attempt to fix. Specifically:

• Licensing - when I tried Premium a couple of times I constantly ran into "licensed for radio only" flags. I had no issues being able to play the same tracks on Spotify or Apple Music. If Pandora wants to play in the streaming game, you at least need to have the library that all other services have.
  • Audio Quality - Your competitors are streaming at 256K AAC or 320K OGG. Tidal and now Amazon now offer lossless tiers. Yet, the best streaming quality on Pandora remains at 192K - and I can hear the difffence on decent headphones or even in the car. Pandora just doesn't sound as good.
  • Station Content Refresh - I've had stations set up for years and the same rotation plays over and over.

Streaming is a commodity service. Pandora has come late to the game with an inferior library and inferior sound quality. The radio stations kept me with Pandora Plus, but with the release of Spotify Stations itmay be time to cancel and stick with my Spotify Premium account.

AdamPandora

Welcome to the community, @jajg !

I have moved your post to the My Collection space to keep the community organized. 

To address your concern with licensing:

Although the majority of the songs in our collection will be eligible to be played without restrictions, you may encounter a portion of songs that are unavailable or labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions. In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

We are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline. Our intention is to provide enough music you enjoy to avoid any inconvenience around this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

To address the issue you are having with station repetition:

It's true there can be a certain amount of repetition in some stations. Each listener has different tastes when it comes to hearing the familiar versus discovering new songs. Finding the right balance for each individual is something we continue to work on.

In the meantime, here are some things you can do to improve your stations.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

To address your request for higher Audio Quality:

I recommend creating a new post for this specific feature in our Feature Requests space. That way, other members of the community who may also be interested in the same idea can upvote it.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

KaL
Local Performer

I've been listening to her latest album non-stop and then magically yesterday it's no longer available. What happened?  I had it downloaded and now it's no longer playable. 

Thanks for all the help and assistance! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @KaL -- Sorry for the issue with your collection. Due to our licensing restrictions, a portion of the songs in our catalog may be unavailable or labeled "Radio Only." I've made a note that you reached out to us about this for our curation team. 

In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song. 

We're always working to increase the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline, so we apologize for any inconvenience.

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

BreenX
Diamond in the Rough
I to find too many "radio only" albums that are available on other providers. I had a 6 month trial of Tidal, where I found this to be the case. And I was also a Spotify subscriber (until I got the patronizing "epic collection, friend" notification) where this was also the case. In the end, I want Pandora to have album parity with other services, at the very least. This is the one frustrating issue that I have with Pandora. I'm all about listening to albums, and I have no interest or need in making playlists.
0 Kudos

BreenX
Diamond in the Rough

Machina- The Machines Of God
RADIO
Album by Smashing Pumpkins

This is an awesome ALBUM and needs to be listened to as an ALBUM, not as individual tracks.

This album has been Radio Only in it's entire existince on Pandora I do believe. Or at the very least, ever since I' ve been Premium.

0 Kudos

Mikey
Local Performer
Why are there so many licensing issues?
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Mikey Although the majority of the songs in our collection will be eligible to be played without restrictions, you may encounter a portion of songs that are unavailable or labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions. In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

Hope we continue to see you around the community!

0 Kudos

GoblinWizard
Local Performer

Hey, so I was enjoying Glass Animals' How to be a Human Being when suddenly today it just straight up disappeared. You go to its page and it's not "radio only" but rather all greyed out. Did Pandora just lose the rights to it or something? 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@GoblinWizard I'm sorry for the problems with your collection. Due to our licensing restrictions, a portion of the songs in our catalog may be unavailable. 

For now, I've made a note that you reached out to us about this for our curation team. We're always working to increase the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline, so we apologize for any inconvenience.

0 Kudos

jbuck79
Local Performer

The Sunflower album is one of the more notable ones. I was thinking it might be something to do with Brother Records, but other albums from that label are available.

Every other streaming service I have tried includes the full catalog and it's one of the main reasons I don't use Pandora as my primary service.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@jbuck79 I'm sorry for the problems with your collection. Due to our licensing restrictions, a portion of the songs in our catalog may be unavailable or labeled "Radio Only." However, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

For now, I've made a note that you reached out to us about this for our curation team. We're always working to increase the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline, so we apologize for any inconvenience.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

jbuck79
Local Performer

Hi, I know I've accepted your answer, but I just can't let this go. I've been trying different music services over the last month and I really like Pandora the best, but I can't see myself using it if it doesn't have as complete of a Beach Boys collection as every other service.

I really think you should have someone look at your collection and verify that you have everything. You have Beach Boys albums without any artwork, that should be easy to fix. And I must bring up the Sunflower album again. You have the album before it and the album after. I don't see what kind of licensing restriction would affect just that one album. It happens to be one of their better albums from that era. Every other music service has it.

I really would appreciate any clarification on this.

You're also missing the In Concert album from the 70's. The system is probably confusing it with the album of the same name from earlier in their career. It doesn't show up in the radio-only section or anything. Another reason I think someone needs to go through their discography and determine what Pandora really does and doesn't have the rights to.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@jbuck79 We appreciate your additional feedback - I'll make sure to pass this information along to our curation team as well.

Thanks again for being a part of the community! 🎧

0 Kudos

Alchron
On the Rise

Why are all of the albums pulled to where you can't listen to them all of a sudden? Did Pandora lose the license?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Alchron I'm sorry for the problems with your collection. Due to our licensing restrictions, a portion of the songs in our catalog may be unavailable or labeled "Radio Only." However, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@musiclover Nice to see you around the community!

Although the majority of the songs in our collection will be eligible to be played without restrictions, you may encounter a portion of songs that are unavailable or labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions (as you noted). In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

View solution in original post

zeb
Opening Act

The latest John Vanderslice album, "The Cedars" was available and added to my  collectionon its release, bit has now, somehow, become "unavailable". 

How do we get this back? I ask not just for this album but, as a Premium member, I want to be confident the music I love and collect will remain available.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@zeb I moved your post to this thread since you were running into a similar issue.

Check out the accepted solution to this post for more information on why particular tracks may show as unavailable.

0 Kudos