cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

lreinhold
Local Performer

Why is my play list so limited? I have been thumbing songs for 2 years and in the last several months, I am hearing the same thing and I have the station set to shuffle?  There are many songs that I have not heard in months!

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
73 Replies

AdamPandora

@lschafroth I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for some tips on how you can prevent Shuffle mode from getting too repetitive.

If you'd like to take full advantage of your Pandora Premium subscription, then I recommend you look into creating more customized playlists vs. creating regular radio stations.

Since it sounds like you are looking to hear more music by specific artists, going that route should solve the issue with repetition you are experiencing.

When you create customized playlists, you can pick and choose what songs you want to include in your listening session.

You can find instructions on how to create playlists on this thread: How to create a new playlist

Hope this helps!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Music + Podcasts

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@tcavana55 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for some tips on how you can prevent Shuffle mode from getting too repetitive.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

tcavana55
Underground

None of these work when there are undefined thumbs.  I deleted all my stations, then added back just a few.   When in shuffle the thumbed songs still play, whether there are any related stations selected for the shuffle or not.  I can barely stand to even listen to Pandora any more because I keep hearing the same songs over and over again.  We need to be able to delete the thumbs Pandora!  Please!

AdamPandora

@tcavana55 The issue with the undefined thumbs is more of a visual issue that is getting looked into by our engineers.

Although they still appear in your profile as "thumbed up on undefined" they don't actually have any influence over your stations anymore.

They have already been removed from your collection, however there is a bug that still causes them to appear in the thumbs up list in your profile.

Hope this helps clarify. 

0 Kudos

ttysdal
Local Performer

I use shuffle for my 12 hour shifts at work. I have lots of stations. They are all included in my shuffle and being as I've used Pandora for a long time they almost all have a ton of stuff on them. However I find that shuffle only seems to play a handful of songs from each station. I'm not getting new content from artists I like included in the shuffle. So I hear essentially the same playlist day to day and also I am often hearing the same playlist more than once in a day. Is there any way or setting so it'll play a bigger variety of each station on the shuffle setting?

AdamPandora

@ttysdal I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

If you'd like to take full advantage of your Pandora Premium subscription, then I recommend you look into creating more customized playlists vs. creating regular radio stations.

Since it sounds like you are looking to hear more music by specific artists, going that route should solve the issue with repetition you are experiencing.

When you create customized playlists, you can pick and choose what songs you want to include in your listening session.

You can find instructions on how to create playlists on this thread: How to create a new playlist

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

aaronrider
Underground

with over 200 channels I should not hear the same song on shuffle for months. WTHell? Signed, ready to quit this.

AdamPandora

@aaronrider I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

aaronrider
Underground

K. How to do that?

I find it strange that we are putting people in space b7t we can't get Pandora to recognize repeated songs, for any reason.

I aske that you d3velope a feature that gives the option to repeat, or repeat only daily, weekly or monthly. Heck, with over 200 stations we should not hear the same song for months.

Saavedro88
Opening Act

I'll add one more twist to this issue. 

I can listen for HOURS on my mobile app, and not only will I never hear the same song twice, I usually won't even hear from the artist twice. 

But when I'm listening on a desktop from the browser, I will FREQUENTLY hear from only a few artists, and it's usually the same song or two from that artist. For example, yesterday on my desktop I heard Shiver by Coldplay twice, and I've heard Knights of Cydonia by Muse like 7 or 8 times this week; Muse has HUNDREDS of songs, why haven't I heard any other ones? 

I know there have been a lot of issues with the shuffle feature recently, and I'm wondering if they haven't all been fixed yet? 

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Saavedro88. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your shuffle feature and repetition.

Could you share a bit more about how you're listening?

Does this issue occur when you're listening to a playlist or a station?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Roxasstuck
Local Performer

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me with this. We listen to an internet radio under a shared account in the office I work at. (Not this account, this is my personal account)

We will log in and add stations to shuffle. We have been having an issue lately with shuffle not playing a variety of songs from all of our stations. It tends to play the same songs from the same stations, no matter how much we like or dislike songs. We don't want to have to dislike songs that play all the time, because we genuinely enjoy them, just don't like listening to them almost every day. Recently, we have decided to go with a "Pick a station a day" random wheel system.

For example, we got reggae and put on a Bob Marley station. The first day it seemed to do fine. However, when coming in this morning and putting the station back on, it started playing Pop again. We have been listening to it for the past hour or so and it's ONLY played music that should not be playing on a reggae/Bob Marley station. Can someone explain how this makes sense? 

It's starting to make me realize how horrible this algorithm is and what caused me to move away from Pandora to another streaming service for my own personal usage in the first place.

AdamPandora

@Roxasstuck I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

PlacentaSalad
Local Performer

I'm with everybody else. Pandora needs to fix the obvious issues that exist, because I also have over a hundred stations and while they are all subgenres of metal, there's still pretty distinct differences between one subgenre and the next despite how some will say "it all sounds the same." There's no reason why I should be hearing the same ten or so bands basically on repeat when I have it set to shuffle instead.

I use Pandora Premium on my Google Chrome web browser while I am gaming or browsing the internet, etc. I spend a lot of time on my computer during the free time I have so I'm constantly listening to music through Pandora. And I've noticed for quite some time now that my account seems to select from the same few bands multiple times per hour despite having added over a hundred different bands. To name a few bands that are overplayed, but not limited to: Lamb of God, Pantera, Metallica, Parkway Drive, and Devildriver. I've removed those bands from my collection in an attempt to stop them from playing as often but even other bands which Pandora chooses randomly will play songs from those aforementioned bands. I just watched as Pandora randomly chose the "Machine Head" station in its shuffle but instead of playing a song from Machine Head (I haven't heard them being played on Pandora in what seems like weeks now) it chose to play a song from one of the overplayed bands instead that I've already heard numerous times by now.

If the solution is to remove songs from the 'thumbs up' collection to prevent Pandora from repeating those songs multiple times within a session, then that seems to tell me that I shouldn't bother clicking the 'thumbs up' button on any song to avoid this issue. Instead, Pandora's developers should simply improve the experience since many of us are paying for a service that should be playing music equally between all the stations we have added to our account, as well as introducing us to new or different artists we have yet to add to our collection.

I add new stations to my shuffle and rarely hear anything from those bands, and that's a problem. 

thedimman
Local Performer

No, that is the wrong answer.  

There are two possible problems, and both of them are Pandpra's problem:

1) You don't have a big enough database of music.  If I am only getting one or two tracks from a given album every time that album is accessed, even with deep cuts, you haven't included enough material from the albums you have access to.  I am not saying that each cut on an album should show up with the same frequency; but every cut should be in the catalog. 

Your recommendation to enlarge a channel by selecting contrasting seeds should not be necessary.  While each artist is unique, they all have influences and influencers, and fellow travellers, and many have huge catalogs.  Even the most narrowly focused channel should go for hundreds of cuts without repeating.  The programming currently provided does not reflect this, and it should.

2) Your music selection algorithm is far too restrictive.  It should spiral out away from your starting seed, in a multi-dimensional drunkard's walk.  A drunkard's walk will move the music further away from the starting point over time. Instead, your algorithm just circles around in the same pool of a few dozen cuts.  

Even if I start from the same place each time, I absolutely should not hear only the same two dozen artists each time I play a channel.

The user should be able to set a dial as to how big the steps are away from the initial seed.  

thedimman
Local Performer

Sorry, I was trying to reply to a post from Pandora that pointed to Pandora's suggested methods for adding variety.  I was not replying to PlacentaSalad.  My bad.

0 Kudos

ikarent
Opening Act

Hi all,

I’ve been an avid Pandora listener for years now, and love it specifically for its shuffle all stations feature. However, I’ve noticed for a while now that when it’s shuffling all stations, it’ll play the same songs over and over from the station, rather than giving me the other songs that the artist made (all of my stations are artist stations). For example: I have a Taylor Swift station that plays “I Know Places” a ton, but I’ve never heard it play songs from her Folklore or Evermore albums whenever I’m shuffling all my stations. Does anyone have any fixes for this, or is this a problem inherent to Pandora? 

thanks!!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@ikarent I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

ikarent
Opening Act

Hey Adam! Your last tip worked for me. Thanks for the advice! 🙂

AdamPandora

Happy to hear it, @ikarent.

Enjoy the music! 😁