cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

lreinhold
Local Performer

Why is my play list so limited? I have been thumbing songs for 2 years and in the last several months, I am hearing the same thing and I have the station set to shuffle?  There are many songs that I have not heard in months!

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
73 Replies

jrabb54
Underground

Actually the more I think about this I start to think about the modes that are available on individual stations. First off it might help to have them when Shuffling. However that takes me a step further and simply put all of the modes should simply be incorporated in the normal listening experience anyway. I want Deep Cuts, Discovery, Crowd Faves, etc ALL mixed into my station when listening. Also let's say I have Station A and Station B. When I listen to them individually I do seem to get a better mix of songs than I do when I listen to both on Shuffle. Again with having about 70 artists and songs mixed into seeding with one of my stations, it should be a long time before I hear the same song again. Adam is simply doing his job and I can't fault him for it as the standard responses seem to be the normal for customer service but as I stated earlier ideally we shouldn't even need modes or I'm tired of this track.

TomRuggieri
Local Performer

It seems that once we approve of a few songs from one artist, Pandora continues to play those same songs.  For example if I set up a Chicago station, why only play the top 3 or 4 songs I have liked?  Can't you move on to trying one of the hundreds of other songs put out by that, or any other, band?  

0 Kudos

StopRepeating
Underground

Accepted solution for who? It seems like a simple problem to solve. Many of us here just want to hear different music without repeats for extended periods of time. Why can't you just let us pick discovery or deep cut modes for ALL SHUFFLE STATIONS? With over 100 stations on shuffle we should have the possibility of a totally random shuffle of all songs ever played on all stations. I know I'm not the only one who wants this. I play Pandora over 9 hours every work day and I'm not sitting at my computer babysitting thumbs, I only go to the computer playing Pandora to skip the annoying repeats I've heard over and over. Please allow discovery mode on shuffle. 

padupadup02
Underground

Hi.  I have Pandora Premium running on my Android phone.  When I get to 'My Stations' I have "shuffle on" with the drop down arrow selected to 'custom'.  I probably have added 90+ "My Stations" to my account.  Some are Christmas stations - so, I don't have the 'blue dot' marked on those stations - thus, I expect to hear all stations except the Christmas stations shuffling.  HOWEVER, that doesn't happen.  I hear the same songs every day and I don't hear many of my stations at all.  What am I doing incorrectly?  HELP!!

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@padupadup02 To clarify, do you still hear Christmas music on shuffle despite leaving all of your holiday stations unchecked?

If so, can you please send me a screenshot of the next Christmas song that plays when in Shuffle Mode?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Music + Podcasts

0 Kudos

padupadup02
Underground

Adam, thank you for your response.  No, no Christmas music from the unchecked holdiay stations - thank goodness.  However, there is also no music from many of the checked stations.  Just the same songs over and over.  I've discovered the 'accepted solution' to the "music is repetative in shuffle mode' in the community.  In reading through the posts, it appears that MANY people have the same issue as I am, and unfortunately, the accepted solution does not solve the problem.  I guess shuffle is not a true random shuffle.  If you have any other solutions - boy, I'd be happy to work with you to get ALL the stations to shuffle.  Once again, thank you for your response.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@padupadup02 I moved your post over to the thread you referenced to keep the Community organized: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

The tips provided in the accepted solution to this thread should help Shuffle mode from getting too repetitive.

Alternatively, if you'd like to take full advantage of your Pandora Premium subscription, then I recommend you look into creating more customized playlists vs. creating regular radio stations.

Since it sounds like you are looking to hear more music by specific artists, going that route should solve the issue with repetition you are experiencing.

When you create customized playlists, you can pick and choose what songs you want to include in your listening session.

You can find instructions on how to create playlists on this thread: How to create a new playlist

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

padupadup02
Underground

Once again thank you for your response.  I'm sorry, I'm somewhat of a techno-dinasaur.  I don't think I'm creating regular radio stations - at least that I know of.  I just do a search for an artist or song on Pandora and, with the "Stations" button selected below the search bar, the results include the artist's name station.  I select the station and voila that station is added to my collection.  I don't think I have created any playlists - except, maybe by accident.  I guess I don't understand the difference between a station and playlist.  Nor, how shuffle works between those two classes of whatever they are.  I guess I'm used to the shuffle from a multi-disk CD player that would randomly play songs and Pandora just can't do that.  So, I'm stuck - no?  If I need to select each individual song to shuffle, I could be dead before I complete the list of music I enjoy.  Plus, even thought I'm old and retired, I really don't want to spend my time trying to remember the songs I like,  much less entering all of them individually into the Pandora application.   Sitting all day next to my player and up / down arrow all day is not a workable solution for me either.  For what it is worth, I have been a long time subscriber and I do remember in the not too distant past that the shuffle worked as what I am looking for.  Once again, thank you for trying to work with me.

AdamPandora

@padupadup02 It does look like you are creating regular radio stations.

Stations on Pandora Premium are guided by thumb feedback or added seeds, like Pandora and Pandora Plus stations. While listening to a station you can thumb up or down songs from the Now Playing screen to help us learn what to play next.

Playlists, on the other hand, are guided by listener's choice. This means you can add only the songs you want to hear, and sequence the playlist yourself.

You can enlist the help of Pandora's Music Genome to add music to your playlists by selecting Add Similar Songs, but you'll always have the option to edit our recommendations.

Since it sounds like you are looking for more variety, and you are upgraded to Pandora Premium, I recommend you try creating your own customized playlists.

If you go this route, you can create a playlist where you can pick and choose specific songs you want to include in your listening session.

You can then shuffle that playlist to get it to play the tracks you added to it in a random order.

You can find instructions on how to create playlists on this thread: How to create a new playlist

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

padupadup02
Underground

Adam, once again, thank you for your response.  At this point - UNCLE.  I'll review my options.  Thank you for trying to work with me.

AdamPandora

Always happy to help, @padupadup02. 🤝

0 Kudos

jrabb54
Underground

Here's something that adds to the whole Shuffle process. Say I have two stations, my Rock and EDM station. When I listen to them individually I hear bands and songs that I NEVER hear when I shuffle with the same two stations. And that is when I'm not even using Discovery modes. I have listened to countless hours to know there is an issue with the Shuffle process. Or let me rephrase that, there may not be an "issue" but it could certainly be better.

StopRepeating
Underground

I think most of us here agree, shuffle is repetitive and there's nothing we can do about it. PLEASE PLEASE find a way to allow the same songs playing on an individual station to shuffle, or better yet, allow Discovery and or Deep cuts modes on shuffle. It seems simple to me, I don't understand why we can't have better variety on shuffle. 

0 Kudos

jrabb54
Underground

So as I stated previously I usually listen to my Rock and EDM station on Shuffle almost exclusively. Today I've listened only to my Rock station and I've heard around a dozen bands that I've NEVER heard of before. This is without the Discovery mode set (I've not found that very useful anyway). So whether the bland mix of Shuffle is considered an issue or not it is most definitely not done the same way as individual stations. Consider it a product enhancement, issue, whatever but it would be nice to get that variety.

0 Kudos