cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Song Seed Hasn't Played on Station Yet

DarkLord
Local Performer

Pandora won't play the song I specifically searched for. Example: I search for "Cry for the Moon" by Epica. I find and select this song- the name of the station becomes "Cry for the Moon." It'll play Epica, Apocolyptica, Xandria- even Godsmack, but this one song doesn't even come up. I've been listening for weeks now and it hasn't played.

This is twice it has done this. "Take Control" by Old Gods of Asgard did the exact same thing.

I listen on Android and PC.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @DarkLord. 👋

I understand that it's frustrating not to hear the song that you've seeded a station with, but there's no way to control when or how often particular songs will play on free Pandora or Pandora Plus, so it's not possible to create a station and hear that track play right away (though it could happen by chance). Because of our licenses, we have to limit the predictability of a certain song or artist from playing on those services.

That said, for complete control of what you hear on Pandora, try Pandora Premium. It combines our industry leading internet radio service with on-demand listening and easy playlist generation.

Alternatively, you can start a complimentary session simply by searching our library for a song or album, and clicking play. This will trigger a short advertisement, after which you can enjoy content on-demand. You can find out more about free sessions of Premium here.

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎼

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @DarkLord. 👋

I understand that it's frustrating not to hear the song that you've seeded a station with, but there's no way to control when or how often particular songs will play on free Pandora or Pandora Plus, so it's not possible to create a station and hear that track play right away (though it could happen by chance). Because of our licenses, we have to limit the predictability of a certain song or artist from playing on those services.

That said, for complete control of what you hear on Pandora, try Pandora Premium. It combines our industry leading internet radio service with on-demand listening and easy playlist generation.

Alternatively, you can start a complimentary session simply by searching our library for a song or album, and clicking play. This will trigger a short advertisement, after which you can enjoy content on-demand. You can find out more about free sessions of Premium here.

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎼

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Mubenny26
Underground

I have the same issue that was reported in this thread but I already have the premium service. I have seeded one of my stations with a song called this is amazing grace by Phil Wickham from the breakthrough sound track and I have skipped through at least 200-300 songs and it has not come up yet for me to thumbs up. It is the only seeded song that has not played yet.  I then tried collecting the song and then starting a station directly from that song and skipped through about 50 songs and it still didn’t play it. I know that once I am able to thumbs up it that will cause it to play more often but there is no way for me to do that if it never plays. Any possible solution to this?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mubenny26 Nice to see you around the community.

Unfortunately, there's no way to control when or how often particular songs will play when listening to your regular radio stations.

With that being said, you should be able to stream that song on-demand with your Pandora Premium subscription.

Have you tried searching for that specific song and playing it yet?

From My Collection on a mobile device tap the search icon on the top right corner of your screen. If you are on our website or desktop app, use the Search tool at the top of your screen.

Once you enter what you are looking for, you can filter your search results by Songs.

Selecting a search result will take you to its Backstage page. There you can choose to Play the track.

Let me know if this helps. 

0 Kudos

Mubenny26
Underground

Thank you very much for the response. Yes i have searched for and played it directly, but I am looking for it to come up on the normal playing of the station. I prefer not to have to stop listening to the station and make a special request/search to hear that song.  I love the song choices Pandora makes based on what I have liked it just seems this one song which I happen to love doesn’t get chosen even when seeding a station with it which is odd. Songs i have liked will play multiple times and this one still doesn’t get played. It’s a shame there isn’t a way to give a thumbs up on a song that you make a search for/download/collect. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mubenny26 I have two more suggestions for you.

First suggestion:

Make sure you have AutoPlay turned on.

When the specific track you search and play on-demand finishes, we’ll automatically transition you to an AutoPlay station so that we can keep the music going. AutoPlay stations are created based on the music you’ve been listening to recently, and may include some unfamiliar tracks.

Pandora Premium listeners will automatically have access to the feature, and can manage via Settings > Advanced, or with a toggle on the bottom of any track, album, and playlist. 

Second suggestion:

Create a customized playlist with a set list of tracks that you want to listen to. 

That way, you can include that specific track in the playlist, and then shuffle that customized playlist so that it plays other songs you want to hear as well.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Mubenny26
Underground

Thanks again for the reply and the suggestions. I have done them both (turned on Auto play and added the song to a playlist) but they do not technically solve the problem of having it play on my station which is what I do most often. Thank you for trying to help with this. 

0 Kudos

westhitsclimax
Local Performer

Can I possibly get the song "get laced" by MGK to play on the station I started based on this song....?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@westhitsclimax I moved your post over to this existing thread: Song Seed Hasn't Played on Station Yet

Unfortunately, there's no way to control when or how often particular songs will play when listening to your regular radio stations.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more information.

Additionally, it looks like this particular track is labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions, so you won't be able to play that track on demand with your Pandora Premium subscription.

This being said, I've gone ahead and passed your feedback along to our curation team suggesting that track be made available for on demand playback.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

gordiep
Local Performer

I have the same issue. I'm creating a station based on a particular seed song that I find when I search. I create the station but the seed song, and for that matter any other song on the same album, never plays. Have skipped hundreds of songs to try to debug this. Please don't provide the canned answer above. By simple odds, at least one song on this album, not necessarily the seed song, should have played by now. Something else is preventing the songs from playing from this album. The song and album in question is "The Vigil" by Blue Oyster Cult on the album Mirrors...which easily comes up in your search library. If this is another "Radio only" licensing thing, could someone please add some additional info on the search UI to indicate these limitations? That would make for a much better user experience 🙂

P.S. I have other stations created similarly where the seed songs have played many dozens of times over the years since creating them...

jaykresge
Underground

I've found that song seeds act as a sort of exclusionary list. If you seed a station with songs, those songs simply will not play.

You have to get creative with it. Use a different song from the same album as a seed, then keep skipping tracks until you get to it and thumb it up, then replace the seed and you're good.

Also, stations seeded with songs will only play one version of that song. So let's say you seed "Lemon Parade" by Tonic so you can get "If you could only see." You'll only get the acoustic version of it. You need to thumb down the acoustic version, and on the next lap around you'll get the proper version.

The more I learn about his algorithm, the more I want to flee back to Spotify. Who came up with the idea of BLOCKING your preferred songs?!