cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbs up ratings aren't highlighted in Shuffle Mode

handsdown05
Local Performer

For some reason, many of the things I give a thumbs up later play again but the Thumb is no longer lit. It shows that it lights up when I select it, but later it no longer has a thumbs up. Is this relayed to the fact that I'm in shuffle mode? I'm pretty sure it happens regardless of whether I'm in a station or not. Not always, though, as I have many thumbs up that have been that way for years. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update - 05/02/23:

Hi, everyone!

Our engineering team believes this issue is now resolved.

If you are still noticing that tracks you have previously given a Thumbs Up to are not highlighted when playing again in Shuffle Mode, please make sure to grab a screenshot and send it in a reply to this thread.

Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

One thing to remember is that thumb ratings are station specific - giving a thumbs up to a song on one station will only apply to that specific station.

So if that same track plays again on a different station, the thumbs up rating won't be highlighted.

Additionally, if a different version of the same song plays, it will not have the thumb rating applied to it.

When listening to Shuffle, you can view which station a particular song is from by scrolling to the bottom of the Now Playing screen. A banner will appear at the top of the window.

It should say "[Station_Name] Radio," and then the name of the track.

Check out my post here for a picture of where that can be located.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@handsdown05 I'm happy to look into this for you.

It's possible that you may have given a track a thumbs up on a specific station previously, however when listening in shuffle mode, that same track is being pulled from a different station in your collection, which would explain why it isn't highlighted when playing.

If it happens again, I recommend you can confirm what station the track is being played from when in shuffle mode.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for instructions on how to do that from a computer: What station is playing while in shuffle mode? 

If you see the track is being played from a station you know you've given a thumbs up to it on, please grab a screenshot of it and send it in a reply to this message.

Thanks for working with us on this. 

0 Kudos

bobgott
Underground

Hi Folks,

About a month ago, all/most of my thumbsup/favorites were gone.  I'm a long-time Pandora user and I'm sure the tracks that the thumbs were removed are the same album/tracks as previously flagged.  I listen to Pandora on my iPhone (car play), windows app and Samsung TV.  Very (very) frustrating.

Any hints on how I can go forward to preserve my favorites?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobgott To clarify, are you referring to the tracks that show in your Thumbs Up list in your profile?

Or is the issue that in each of your stations, all of the thumb counts have been reset to 0?:

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.48.59 AM.png

Let me know.

0 Kudos

bobgott
Underground

@AdamPandora Good question.  So I'm only referring to the highlighted thumb up at the bottom of a song in 'Now Playing'. I still have a lot of tracks in 'My Thumbs Up' so its not easy for me to tell if they're gone from there as well. I suspect they're still in 'My Thumbs Up' .. but not marked as thumbs up while playing.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobgott Thanks for clarifying that with me.

I have been working with our engineering team on this, and they believe that issue should have been resolved yesterday.

However, there have been some users mentioning that while a track they previously thumbed up initially plays without the thumbs up highlighted, if they "replay" the song by tapping on the replay icon, the thumbs up icon becomes highlighted.

Can you please confirm if you are experiencing the same thing on your end?

Let me know.

bobgott
Underground

@AdamPandora Give me a couple of days and I will confirm with you one way or the other.  Thank you for the quick reply.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds good, @bobgott.

Keep me posted. 👍

0 Kudos

bobgott
Underground

@AdamPandora So the problem was inconsistent as of yesterday. I did notice some of my 'favorite' check marks were showing and some were not.  Maybe the favorites were actually deleted at some previous point so the (no) thumbs up is accurately portraying the status?  I'll see if I can add any more info next week.

0 Kudos

Jukesfn
Local Performer

Same issue but, Have to Thumbs up the Same song Multiple Times in "Shuffle" ?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jukesfn One thing to remember is that thumb ratings are station specific - giving a thumbs up to a song on one station will only apply to that specific station.

So if that same track plays again on a different station, the thumbs up rating won't be highlighted.

Additionally, if a different version of the same song plays, it will not have the thumb rating applied to it.

Is it possible that a track that you thumbed up the track on one station, however when listening in Shuffle, the track was being played from a different station?

When listening to Shuffle, you can view which station a particular song is from by scrolling to the bottom of the Now Playing screen. A banner will appear at the top of the window.

Let me know what you find out.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobgott Another question I have for you, is if this happening to you when listening in Shuffle Mode?

Or are thumbs up ratings not highlighted regardless of whether or not you are shuffling your stations?

Also, feel free to send me a screenshot of an example of a track that you know you thumbed up previously on a station before, but is no longer when it plays again on that same station.

0 Kudos

bobgott
Underground

@AdamPandora 

>>is if this happening to you when listening in Shuffle Mode?
Yes, I'm 99% of the time in Shuffle mode.  I'll try listening while NOT in shuffle mode and get back to you. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobgott Thanks for following up.

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Thumbs up ratings aren't highlighted in Shuffle Mode

One thing to note is that thumb ratings are station specific - giving a thumbs up to a song on one station will only apply to that specific station.

If it happens again, I recommend you can confirm what station the track is being played from when in shuffle mode.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for instructions on how to do that from a computer: What station is playing while in shuffle mode? 

If you see the track is being played from a station you know you've given a thumbs up to it on, please grab a screenshot of it and send it in a reply to this message.

I appreciate all of your help with this!

0 Kudos

bobgott
Underground

@AdamPandora 

>>giving a thumbs up to a song on one station will only apply to that specific station

Well, that fact is an eye-opener! While in shuffle mode, I never pay attention the songs source station.  I do know for a fact many of my songs can/are played on multiple stations.  That can be part/all of my problem for sure.

Does the fact that I play Pandora from 3 different devices (iPhone-car play, windows web app, Samsung TV) have any bearing on the matter?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobgott No - since your account is tied to your email address, as long as you are signed into the same account on those 3 devices, any thumb rating you give will apply to your account as whole.

This being said, our engineers did push out a fix for thumb ratings not showing when listening in Shuffle Mode today.

If you notice that tracks you've previously given a Thumbs Up to are still not highlighted when listening in Shuffle Mode, please grab a screenshot and send it in a reply to this message.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update - 05/02/23:

Hi, everyone!

Our engineering team believes this issue is now resolved.

If you are still noticing that tracks you have previously given a Thumbs Up to are not highlighted when playing again in Shuffle Mode, please make sure to grab a screenshot and send it in a reply to this thread.

Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

One thing to remember is that thumb ratings are station specific - giving a thumbs up to a song on one station will only apply to that specific station.

0 Kudos

bobgott
Underground

@AdamPandora 

Well, I believe my problem is solved.  Many of my 'thumbs-up' are now back. Those that are missing are probably due to songs being played from different stations.

Since a lot of my music is either on apple car-play or my Samsung TV, it is not easy for me to figure what station a song was originally tagged.  

But, I'm happy now .. so you can close this ticket (if one was opened)

Thank you!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bobgott Thanks so much for confirming that with me.

Glad to hear that resolved the issue for you!

Enjoy the music! 😎

0 Kudos

cindapmd
Local Performer

I have "thumbs up"-ed hundreds of songs, both in the individual stations, and in my "shuffle stations." I thought that songs which I had thumbs upped were losing their thumbs up, so I just re-thumbs'ed them. But now I'm CERTAIN. And no, it's not just that I've thumbsed them in the individual station. I have thumbs-up-ed them in the shuffle stations mode, and some of the songs I KNOW I've done, play without any thumbs designation, and I have to do it again. Why do they keep disappearing from time to time? Not all at once, just some songs over time. 

0 Kudos