cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Artist Only" Mode playing other artists

LordCayleth
Underground

Why is it that no matter what artist I pick, my "Artist only" version of their station only plays Tool? 

It was the worst with Alice In Chains, but I have the same problem with my NIN station, and even **ahem** like Black Keys. In no case is TOOL the artist of the station, and they're clean, new stations with only one band as a seed. I deleted my thumbs up station... Everything should be clean, but Pandora seems to think every artist is at least half tool.

Why is there even an "artist only" button if it can't even figure out what artist to play?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
41 Replies

robertmansour
Underground
Yes thank you.  That helped a lot!  I didn't know I had added artists to my station!  Good to know.
Rob

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Always happy to help, @robertmansour.

Enjoy the music! 🎶

0 Kudos

dizzblnd
Local Performer

I search for "Prince" add him, select "artist only" but I get Rush, Imagine Dragons, Foghat, everything BUT Prince. Why? 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dizzblnd I moved your post over to this existing thread: "Artist Only" Mode playing other artists

It looks like you've added a few other artists as variety to your Prince station:

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.28.51 AM.png

Artist Only Mode will not only play songs from the artist headlining your station, but you will also hear songs from other artists if you have added variety to that station.

You will need to remove those other artists from your station if you no longer want them to play in Artist Only Mode.

To remove variety (station seeds) on the web: 

Scroll down to the Station Created From section.

• To add variety, click + Add Variety, enter the artist or track you'd like to add, then click on the (+) sign to add that artist or song to your station. To remove variety, hover over the desired seed and select DeleteNote: you cannot add variety to Genre Stations.

To remove variety (station seeds) on a mobile device:

From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play button) to edit your station, and scroll down.

• To remove variety (or "station seeds") that you've added in the past, simply tap the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

jbh81640
Local Performer

Some of my stations are mixed up.  If. I put in kendrick lamar radio g unit plays. If I  put in j cole  lil Wayne plays. (Artist only modes)

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jbh81640 Nice to see you around the Community. 

G-Unit Radio:

To clarify, it looks like you have two stations that are currently named G-Unit Radio:

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 5.25.29 AM.png

The bottom station was originally created as a Kendrick Lamar station, however you later changed the name to G-Unit Radio.

This would explain why when you search for Kendrick Lamar, G-Unit Radio plays.

I recommend changing the name of that station back to Kendrick Lamar Radio to avoid any future confusion with that.

As far as other artists playing while in Artist Only Mode, it is because you've added a few other artists as variety to the station:

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 5.25.06 AM.png

Artist Only Mode will not only play songs from the artist headlining your station, but you will also hear songs from other artists if you have added variety to that station.

You will need to remove those other artists from your station if you no longer want them to play in Artist Only Mode.

• To add variety, click + Add Variety, enter the artist or track you'd like to add, then click on the (+) sign to add that artist or song to your station. To remove variety, hover over the desired seed and select DeleteNote: you cannot add variety to Genre Stations.

From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play button) to edit your station, and scroll down.

• To remove variety (or "station seeds") that you've added in the past, simply tap the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

J. Cole Radio:

Can you please send me a screenshot the next time a Lil Wayne track plays on your J. Cole Radio station when in Artist Only Mode?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

AxonJaxon
Local Performer

I've been using Pandora a few years and use shuffle a lot. I find that even though I have the stations set as "Artist Only" I get other artists playing in the mix despite the settings. The seems to me a new event and wondering if it something I can resolve?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@AxonJaxon I moved your post over to this existing thread: "Artist Only" Mode playing other artists

What is the name of the station you are listening to when other artists play in Artist Only mode?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

AxonJaxon
Local Performer

Yeah thanks anyway, my artist stations have no other station seeds or stems than the individual artist. Again, if not in shuffle I hear only the selected artist's work: perfect. Once I enable shuffling of stations, other artists leak into the mix. It's interesting that the tracks that leak in from other artists all are in similar genre so Pandora's algorithm keeps the same kind of music playing but it still manages to annoy. Somewhere there's a leak in the code.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@AxonJaxon To clarify, if you shuffle your stations, other artists will get included just as they do when you stream a station normally.

There isn't currently a way to shuffle in Artist Mode, so that you only hear tracks from specific artists you select.

I recommend upvoting this existing feature request if you'd like to see that option added to the service: Feature Request: Allow Modes in shuffle

Hope this information is helpful!

0 Kudos

Jehouash
Underground

@AdamPandora Thanks for your response. I greatly appreciate your kind and informative reply. The Headphones band link error has already been fixed (huzzah!), and I just reported the Overseas band link error (not fixed yet)  at the link you recommended.

One other question for you: Sometimes when I'm listening to "Artist Only" radio mode, another artist will come on. The last time I remember this happening was Phoebe Bridgers radio played a couple Lord Huron songs, which I would understand if she was featured on them, but I don't believe she was. Another time this happened, I was listening to The Afghan Whigs radio and The Temptations played. Both times, I double checked that I was in "Artist Only" mode, and I was. Nothing against Lord Huron and The Temptations, but any idea what causes this to happen? 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jehouash If you've added any additional artists as variety to your station, then those artists would also play when selecting Artist Only Mode.

I recommend removing any unwanted artists as variety from your station if you'd like to prevent that from happening again in the future.

You can find instructions on how to do so here: Removing Variety from a Station

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

alexmarbut
Local Performer

I'm having some difficulty with a new station that I created for the artist "Natos y Waor". I did not have any other seeds on the station, and it never played songs from that artist. It still does not work after using the add variety function to seed specific songs by Natos y Waor. After adding specific songs, I tried the Artist Only mode and found that it only played songs by artists featured on the songs that I had added--still nothing by Natos y Waor, not even the songs that I had added as seeds. When I remove those songs, leaving only the artist "Natos y Waor" as a seed, Artist Only mode disappears. I can listen to Natos y Waor by going to their artist page and selecting specific songs, but I would like to figure out a way to get the station to work correctly.

0 Kudos

Jehouash
Underground

@AdamPandora My Phoebe Bridgers station is just her. No additional artists have been added as variety. So, if this happens, and it's only happened a few times, it's it just a glitch in Pandora's algorithm? I've tried switching from Artist Only mode and back again to see if that solves the problem, but it seems when the glitch is happening, then it's determined to happen. Eventually, it corrects itself, but it's almost like Pandora occasionally forgets it's in Artist Only mode? Just curious if anyone's reported similar findings to you before or if this is happening to anyone else out there. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jehouash I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep the Community organized: "Artist Only" Mode playing other artists

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, I'l need you to reproduce this issue, and then send over a screenshot of what you're seeing on your end.

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alexmarbut I've escalated your feedback to our curation team so they can help look into this further.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

Darrellsteelman
Local Performer

Why is it when I put it on artist only, it keeps other stuff that isn't even remotely like the artist I put on?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Darrellsteelman What is the name of the station you are listening to when that happens?

Can you please send me a screenshot of what you're seeing as well?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

Darrellsteelman
Local Performer
The station I was listening to was van halen, and it kept playing some kind
of pop group, so I put it on artist only and it kept playing other pop
groups instead of van halen..is there a way I can delete other groups and
keep from hearing them?
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up, @Darrellsteelman.

I moved your post over to this existing thread: "Artist Only" Mode playing other artists

It looks like you've added another artist as variety to your Van Halen Radio station:

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 7.30.19 AM.png

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos