cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Alexa: Automatically creates stations

m_alvare5
Underground

Hi everyone.  I'm super annoyed with Alexa creating a new station everytime it misunderstands what we requested.  It creates dozens of new stations every week and adds it to My Collection.  Is there any way to prevent this behavior?  I want it to play only the stations I have already created, I don't want it to be creating new stations.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

@m_alvare5 I don't believe this is a feature currently. I'd recommend visiting our Feature Request board with this feedback. It's the best way to convey your ideas and feedback you'd like to see on Pandora. 

You can visit the Feature Request board by clicking here

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

36 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @m_alvare5 thanks for the feedback. If Alexa can't find what you're asking for in your collection, she'll automatically create a station for you.

If you think Alexa is having trouble understanding your commands you might want to log into your Amazon account to view what Alexa thinks you said, in order to report feedback to Amazon directly. This is referred to as your "Utterance History report."

To view your utterance history report, click this link from a computer and log into your Alexa account. Or from a mobile device launch the Alexa app, tap the Menu icon, select Activity and then More under Pandora activity.

From here you'll be able to view what Alexa thought she heard, as well as listen to a recording of what you said. If she didn't do what you wanted, be sure to let Amazon know by selecting No.

Thanks for posting to community!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

m_alvare5
Underground

Thanks. I have done that, but I was hoping there was a way to "lock" my stations to prevent it from creating new ones, or something similar.

TannerPandora

@m_alvare5 I don't believe this is a feature currently. I'd recommend visiting our Feature Request board with this feedback. It's the best way to convey your ideas and feedback you'd like to see on Pandora. 

You can visit the Feature Request board by clicking here

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

TWB
Local Performer
With Alexa in the house, my family requests music often. Alexa often uses Pandora. Now "My Collection" is bloated with the **ahem** my grandkids like. Can I stop Pandora from automatically adding every song request as a station on my account?

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @TWB. 👋

I moved your post over to this thread to keep the community organized.

I would recommend checking out this existing feature request.

You can upvote ideas that you'd like to see implemented by searching for the request on the main Feature Request page. Then, click on the ❤️icon to upvote.

Hope to see you around the community often! 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

jefferyrmiller
Local Performer

At times Alexa will create a station with the exact same name of a station I already have.  So, I'm not 100% sure that it's about Alexa not understanding me.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jefferyrmiller Sorry for any trouble.

Can you provide an example of a station Alexa created, when you already had a station with that exact name?

Thanks for your help with this! 

0 Kudos

IdahoJoe
Local Performer

Issue is marked "solved" with 1 solution??  Am I missing something? 

Are there any plans in the works for Pandora to fix this issue with the added stations by Alexa?  Drives me crazy... I've got 5 kids and they constantly listen to music. Imagine the mess my Pandora account is constantly in when I've had them all looking for songs all day every day... I finally had to quit using Pandora because I'm tired of wading through hundreds of random "junk" stations every time I log in.  (Maybe that's the solution referred to on this thread...? Just stop using it?)

Evidently no one working for Pandora has the combo of Amazon Alexas and kids at home? I assume if they did, they would realize that's it's a huge disaster for their service.  If I search a random song, I don't want/need a random station to be added to my account.

I'm wondering if there's any upside to this feature of adding unrequested random stations?  Does it benefit Pandora somehow to have people adding them? Does it benefit any of the customers? Just curious... If not, it seems like it would be near the top of the "requested features" list, but evidently no one really cares about the issue because it's been going on for several years... 

Sorry for the long message... Just seems like this issue keeps popping it's head out, but no one is really taking it seriously at all... 

Thanks for listening! 

Fowler08
Local Performer

I have the exact same problem. We have pandora and Spotify hooked up and whenever my husband requests a song from Spotify Alexa then creates a station with his song request!! 

I have so many stations with his songs AND multiple repeat stations. For example, if he knows I like a song sometimes he will request it for me and then Alex makes another station based on the same song. It is SO frustrating and every day I have to delete all the new stations that I do not want or listen to! 

m_alvare5
Underground

******************* ATTENTION **************************

This thread is marked as resolved, for some reason they think this is good acceptable behavior.
Anyway, I was told to open a ticket requesting a new feature which you can find here:

https://community.pandora.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Lock-for-creating-new-stations-Alexa-Stop-creating...

Please up vote it if you don't mind so Pandora fixes this ASAP.

Mikefalz
Local Performer

Until they fix this properly, the best workaround I've found is to set your default services in the Alexa app (both Music and Artist & Genre Stations) to Amazon music.  This should field ad-hoc requests without adding stations to pandora.  You then have to explicitly ask Alexa to "Play my Pandora station name Radio."   Annoying, but less annoying then cleaning up added stations.

bonedaddy
Local Performer

Why do I see stations I never created.  These are unwanted and terrible stations.  There was a station that showed up with similar phonetic pronunciation with my real station causing confusion.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @bonedaddy. 👋

Based on your message, it sounds like this may be related to voice assistant.

Are you using any voice enabled devices? Any Amazon Alexa devices?

Or, do you think someone else is accessing your account without permission?

Let me know. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

bonedaddy
Local Performer

Hello,  to answer your question, yes I use alexa with voice assistant.  Been using for a long time without issue until recently.  Several stations are now in my view that did not create.  This makes me think there is clever or nefarious marketing going on.  Please tell that is not true.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bonedaddy Thanks for confirming that info.

I have seen other mentions of similar experiences while using voice assistant on Alexa - where unwanted stations are created. I moved your post over to this existing thread:  Alexa - Stop creating stations 

@TannerPandora has shared some good info about voice commands while using Alexa devices here.

This feature request has been created by listeners: Lock for creating new stations (Alexa - Stop creating new stations please) 

I would also recommend upvoting that idea by clicking on the ❤️ icon next to the title of the suggestion. 

++

If you feel that these stations are being created by an unauthorized user, please let me know so that I can have a member of our User Support team help ensure the security of your Pandora account.

0 Kudos

RotorHead695
Local Performer

I setup a Pandora Family account which means I have 6 separate logins.  My house now has a different login than my personal one, same with my wife.  It also helps to prevent fighting for the same audio stream.

0 Kudos