cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android TV: Playback Stops

Edddd
Underground

After years of playing my collections continuously via the app for my smart tv, the app now only plays one song and then stops. I haven’t changed any settings in the TV.

Any one- Help me

mod edit: changed title for clarity & format

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edddd
Underground

Thanks so much for sending this update on the problem I mentioned 11 months ago. I spent months trying to figure this out. I owe Pandora an apology! Reason is that my other music apps weren’t working either. Weird, right? Amazon music tech said it’s most likely my ISP blocking a port. Sure….So ISP comes out to my home and runs diagnostics. Their #1 tech said they do not block anything, problem is my Wireless Network board and probably my main board with the port plugs is defective. So I YouTube how to replace these boards because my Sony TV Warranty just expired one month earlier (six months after my post to you). I buy a WI-FI board and install it. Everything works for one day and then it doesn’t work again.  G’rrrr. I’m not replacing the main board. #Tech guy says just get a Roku 4K stick for $40 to by pass the tv issues. I got the Roku and Pandora and the other music apps work perfectly.

Lesson learned- The new TVs like my Sony Bravia last an average of 5 years and then the various boards begin to fail. I expected 10 years plus. So folks, don’t blame Pandora or any of the apps, because it can be a hardware problem.

Also- if you TV is under Warranty call for service immediately, let them figure it out!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
39 Replies

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @Edddd 

Thanks for posting, just for clarification, I moved your original post to our Other Devices space.

This issue is usually specific to the network you're using to access Pandora, or due to an error on the device itself.

First make sure your device has the latest firmware by checking for a new update. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.

If you're still having the same problem, then please try a few standard network troubleshooting steps:

• Try connecting directly via an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-Fi (if you have this option on your device), and see if that helps.
  • Try rebooting your modem and router and restarting the device.
  • Try removing and re-adding the app (if this is possible on your device).

You can also contact the manufacturer directly to troubleshoot your specific device and settings.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

Edddd
Underground

Thanks, but I have already done everything you recommended before I wrote the post.

i have ultra fast fiber connection to my home, my modem is brand new just installed by the fiber provider 1 week ago. My router is brand new EERO mesh system, and connected by Ethernet to the Sony TV.  Super fast connectivity.  All Sony firmware updates are completed (automatically).

also, I uninstalled the Pandora app and reinstalled it before writing my inquiry. After checking all the boxes, the app still plays one song and stops. If I just leave everything on it eventually will play one more song then stop, then nothing for hours.

I really don’t think it’s my internet or modem or router because all other apps like iHeart radio and Amazon Music work perfectly. It’s just with Pandora so it has to be in your app- right?

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Edddd 

Let's try clearing the data and cache to see if that helps. You should be able to use the following steps to do this:

1. On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
  2. Select the Settings Gear icon  ⚙️
  3. Follow the steps according to your TV menu:
    • Select Apps → See all apps → Show system apps.
    • Select Apps.
  4. Under System apps, select Pandora.
  5. Select Clear cache, then select Ok.
    • If the issue still occurs, move on to the next step.
  6. Select Clear data, then select Ok.
    • If displayed, select CLEAR ALL DATA, and then Ok.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Edddd
Underground

Thanks for this info. I did exactly what you recommended on both my Sony Smart TV and my Samsung TV that I use a Firestick for the apps since it also has the same issue. Unfortunately, the problem persists although once it played 3 songs before stopping all together.

Again, since iHeart radio and Amazon Music do not have this issue, it must be in the Pandora app- right?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @Edddd! Thanks for trying those steps out, sorry to hear they didn't help on your Sony TV. 

I'm happy to pass this along to our engineering team for further investigation. Could you let me know the model of your Sony TV and the year.

In your latest reply you mentioned that playback stops on your Amazon Firestick as well. Since this experience is occurring across more than one device on the same network, I would recommend following the network troubleshooting steps that Gerald posted above. It will help rule out any network connectivity issues.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Edddd
Underground

Thanks Tanner. Here’s where I’m at now:

I’ve followed all the recommended steps- at least three times just hoping something will begin to work.

the Samsung TV that uses the Firestick will now play 3 or 4 songs before it stops playing all together.

then I go repeat all recommended fixes, including uninstalling the app, reinstalling it from Google Play Store. Same result, plays 3 songs and stops.

My main TV IS my Sony Bravia XBR-65X900F bought in August 2017 

I have also performed every recommended step multiple times with no improvement. This morning, I open Pandora, perform all the recommendations again. It plays one song and stops. The current song/ album shows on the screen, no music plays but the sound level icon at the top of the screen shows music playing. The pause button is now on screen.

I hit the pause button and the limiter icon stops. Ok, so now I hit the play button, the icon shows music is playing, but there is no sound. Please pass this problem on to your sound engineers to find a fix that works. Thanks.

TannerPandora

Hi @Edddd! Thanks for the detailed follow up. This is very helpful! 🙌

I've updated my notes with your latest experience. Thanks again for the reply and for your patience while we investigate.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

Edddd
Underground
I’m still trying to use the Pandora app every day. Still the same issue.
I’ve even followed all the recommendations you’ve made over and over.
So, the first song plays to the end, it stops, the app gets hung up and the only way to get the next song to play is to manually forward to the next song and hit play.

Has the engineers looked at this for me? Do they have any recommendations?
Is this problem most likely in the app ( which is what I think), or somewhere else along the technology line?

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Edddd! Sorry for the continued trouble playing Pandora on your Sony TV

I checked-in and unfortunately our engineering team has not been able to replicate this issue on their end. As a result, they've been unable to release a fix and there is no timeline available for when one might be available.

I have noted that you continue to experience this issue with your Sony. The information you've provided is helpful and I've made sure to pass it along.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

cp5921
Local Performer

This is less of a question and more of a rant. I have seen numerous people complain about the google tv pandora app having issues. I have seen many. Most commonly it just will stop advamcing songs and get stuck with no way to reboot. The time counter on the songs is stuck at 0. Deleting the cache/data/force stop etc do not work. Other times it just wont play any sound at all

This is about 50% of the time for me. Its infuriating and the answers posted by the admins don't fix it. The app is broken and there seems to be no effort whatsoever to fix it even though many notice these problems. Just look at the reviews. Fewer users means less revenue in the end right? Fix it.

0 Kudos

BobR1
Underground

I have the same problem with my Sony TV. Doing A force stop fixes it, but only temporarily, usually for one day. I am on the free version of Pandora. I was thinking of subscribing, but not to an app that doesn't work.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @BobR1 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Sony TV. I'm happy to pass this along to our engineering team for further review and investigation.

In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your account. Can you do me a favor and power cycle your TV by unplugging it from the power source for at least 5 minutes and then plugging it back. Let me know if your experience improves.

Thanks for the help!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

BobR1
Underground
Done. I'll let you know.

Bob

BobR1
Underground

No effect. Still freezing.

0 Kudos

Edddd
Underground

Thanks so much for sending this update on the problem I mentioned 11 months ago. I spent months trying to figure this out. I owe Pandora an apology! Reason is that my other music apps weren’t working either. Weird, right? Amazon music tech said it’s most likely my ISP blocking a port. Sure….So ISP comes out to my home and runs diagnostics. Their #1 tech said they do not block anything, problem is my Wireless Network board and probably my main board with the port plugs is defective. So I YouTube how to replace these boards because my Sony TV Warranty just expired one month earlier (six months after my post to you). I buy a WI-FI board and install it. Everything works for one day and then it doesn’t work again.  G’rrrr. I’m not replacing the main board. #Tech guy says just get a Roku 4K stick for $40 to by pass the tv issues. I got the Roku and Pandora and the other music apps work perfectly.

Lesson learned- The new TVs like my Sony Bravia last an average of 5 years and then the various boards begin to fail. I expected 10 years plus. So folks, don’t blame Pandora or any of the apps, because it can be a hardware problem.

Also- if you TV is under Warranty call for service immediately, let them figure it out!!

0 Kudos

BobR1
Underground

I'm guessing that your engineering team does not have an older Sony smart TV to test things on. 

0 Kudos

BobR1
Underground

Brilliant solution. I actually have a Roku and never thought of trying it. I'm not convinced, though, that's it a problem with the board. I've got solid-state boards that are 30-years old and still working fine. I suspect that it's a problem with the Sony software, like the many issues with search and the inability to keep proper track of the shows I've been watching, which keep getting worse and worse. I think the software hasn't been kept up-to-date because they want us to buy new TVs.  My computer works fine, but not always with older software.

MarkKitson
Underground

I have the same issue with Pandora on a Samsung TV running Google TV. I don't think it was your TV

That doesn't work for me. I've been fighting with this for quite some time. Once in awhile if I force stop and clear cache it works, but most of the time not. I restart Google TV and sometimes that works. Other times I have to clear data. Frustrating! 

It is not your TV. It's something between Pandora and the Smart controllers (Google, Roku, etc ) Lots of people are seeing these problems.

I worked in the computer IT industry for 45 years focused on hardware. I understand troubleshooting better than most. This must be a interface problem between Pandora and the systems, not individual TVs. 

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MarkKitson It sounds like you've already attempted some of the troubleshooting steps that @TannerPandora suggested in their previous comments above:

"Power cycle your TV by unplugging it from the power source for at least 5 minutes and then plugging it back. Let me know if your experience improves."

If that did not resolve your issue, can you please follow up with the make and model of your TV?

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos