cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest quality playback?

Thorerik
Local Performer

I am looking for the highest quality playback.  At the present time I have a free account and am thinking of upgrading.  It appears that the free stream playback is 128K.  Do I gain any increase in quality by upgrading, what do I get for the upgrade besides being able to choose songs?

I use a Bose Sound Touch streaming device.  It has optical output which is fed to a DAC.  From there it goes via xlr cables to the preamp and amps.  The Sound Touch supports Pandora.

Labels (1)
20 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @Thorerik thanks for posting on community!

Here are some details regarding audio quality on Pandora:

For listeners accessing Pandora from a computer, Ad-supported Pandora is 64kbps AAC+, while Pandora Plus and Pandora Premium subscribers have the option of 192kbps.

On Android and iOS devices, ad-supported listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers get anywhere from 24kbps to 64kbps in mono or stereo, depending on the phone, carrier, connection type and - in some cases - the user's settings. Only Pandora Premium subscribers can receive 192kbps on their iOS and Android devices.

Most home-listening devices get 128kbps - whether the account is free or paid.

Hope this helps! Thanks for being part of community!

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

Jamesmccurdy1
Underground

Hi - I’ve noticed a decrease in sound quality on my Pandora plus subscription recently. Did this happen? It seems you’re telling me on my iOS and home Sonos I’m only getting 128kbps? It’s noticeably worse lately. 

TannerPandora

Hi @Jamesmccurdy1 - Is this happening on your Sonos device?

Plus and Premium have the option of 192kbps, you can adjust these settings from your mobile device. From the Pandora App > Profile > Settings (icon in the top right) > Audio Quality & Downloads.

However, regardless of free or pay, in-home devices will receive 128kbps.

Let me know which device this is happening on. 

Jamesmccurdy1
Underground

Hi,

It’s interesting, there’s no option for “Audio Quality & Downloads” in my settings menu. I have to go into Advanced and there it allows me to select higher cell quality. 

Is my iOS app outdated? 

To answer your question, the quality is worse on both my iOS and Sonos devices. 

thanks 

Jim 

TannerPandora

@Jamesmccurdy1 let's find out some details about your iPhone:

• What model iPhone do you have?
  • What iOS are you currently running?
  • What is the current Pandora app version on your phone?

Let me know if you need help finding any of this. Thanks!

Jamesmccurdy1
Underground

Hi,

iPhone XR 

thanks 

TannerPandora

Your iPhone sounds up-to-date to me @Jamesmccurdy1. Since this is happening on more than once device, I'd like to start with some standard troubleshooting for your network. 

Try rebooting your connection: 

1. Shut down your device completely;
  2. Unplug your modem and router, wait one full minute, and then plug them back in;
  3. Wait five more minutes to allow the modem and router to fully boot back up;
  4. Turn your device back on and try Pandora again.

Let me know if the audio changes. 

Jamesmccurdy1
Underground

Hi - when the entire house isn’t using the WIFI (not sure when that will be haha) I’ll give that a try and get back to you. Thanks! 

TannerPandora

Haha Sounds good, don't want to start a riot @Jamesmccurdy1😂

Jamesmccurdy1
Underground

Hi Tanner,

had a chance to reset our entire WiFi/internet system due to a construction project in the house and I’m listening tonight and it sounds pretty good to me...maybe that did the trick...

I’ll keep listening and see what happens thanks for your help!!

TannerPandora

Glad to hear it @Jamesmccurdy1! 👍🏻 Happy listening! 🎧🎶

ronsimner
Underground

Tanner, that only answers half of the question. What about the audio bit depth? Is it 16 or 24? I'm going to guess it's 16 since I can hear a big difference between listening to Pandora Premium and an uncompressed (24 bit) file through iTunes. 

TannerPandora

Hi @ronsimner thanks for posting. To answer your question, the bit depth is 16-bit. 🎧

Bri-an
Underground

Hello Tanner,

Thank you for the helpful information in this thread!

Maybe you could help us in this other thread too!

https://community.pandora.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Higher-Audio-Quality/idi-p/1046

Thanks!

0 Kudos

boulderskies
Opening Act

hi tanner,

what's really needed on this issue by A LOT of listeners is a statement about Pandora's plans (if any) to add the option for higher resolution music files to their subscription plans. anything you can do in this regard will be most appreicated by a lot of loyal Pandora customers.

scott

TannerPandora

Hey @boulderskies and @Bri-an - thanks for posting your feedback!

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional updates or a timeline on higher audio quality. 

The feature request link that @Bri-an posted is the best way to let Pandora know that you'd like to see this. The more votes a request gets the more likely it will be looked at on the roadmap. 

Sorry I couldn't help with this more. 

boulderskies
Opening Act

tanner, we all understand you dont have updates; i think what we need is for you to take our request for high resolution files to someone at Pandora who can do something about it. right now we feel like we are wasting our time requesting it over and over and not even getting an acknowlegement from Pandora.

thank you,

scott

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @boulderskies. 👋

Thanks so much for feedback! I completely understand where you're coming from.

All of the requests, ideas, and suggestions are extremely important as you're a valued member of our listening audience. We take your requests seriously, and we report these back our product / engineering teams on your behalf. 

Unfortunately, we can't guarantee the implementation of requests that listeners share, nor can we provide a timeframe for them. Rest assured, your voice has been heard. 

Appreciate you being a member of the community! 😄

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

boulderskies
Opening Act

thanks for your reply Alyssa.but i am a skeptical person by nature. it is not personal to you, just a quirk of mine. with that said, could you be a little more specific about exactly HOW are feedback, particularly the one we are discussion is reported to engineering? i mean no disrespect but as stated, a lot of us have been feeding back this issue for quite a long time and not once has there been any indication of receipt by engineering.

so, perhaps you could have someone from engineering or management respond? or, could you provide a description of how and how often and who our feedback is reported by the moderators to engineering?

thank you for what you do,

scott