cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ad Feedback - Explicit Ads

Local Performer

Adam and eve, a sex toy company. I don't care whether or not it's a kid's station *I* don't want that ad. Phone, audio, bon iver (seriously **ahem**? Light acoustic music?????), 3:20 in the freaking afternoon. We should be able to opt out of adult ads, and no, paying for a subscription service by being annoyed or disturbed into it is not an alternative. The fertility clinic ads were bad enough but sex toys??? Come on.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Moderator Edit: Format

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Opting out of explicit ads

Thanks for writing and for the feedback. I've noted your complaint for our advertising team. You are a valuable part of our listening audience, and we respect your opinion.

We recognize that certain material is sensitive ground, so we do our best to preserve the listening experience. All of our ads are thoughtfully vetted by folks across various teams at Pandora, to ensure they are free from speech or content that is hateful, illegal, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate or unfair. While we respect the perspective of each individual, and while there are occasional judgment calls still required, we feel strongly that our advertising platform should not be in the business of censoring.

That being said, I have a couple of suggestions which you might find helpful. First, you might want to restrict Pandora from playing songs with explicit content. When you do that, you not only remove songs with explicit lyrical content, you also remove some ads that are not intended for people who have demonstrated an aversion to explicit content. As a result, this option may remove some advertisements that might offend you.

To disable explicit content from our website on a computer, click the icon (initial or picture) on the top right corner of the page, select Settings, and then Content Settings.

There, you should see an Explicit Content toggle, which indicates whether you would like to allow explicit content or not. Set this to Off.

You might also consider upgrading to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium. These are our advertising-free subscriptions, which also offer a number of other benefits you might find attractive.

For instance, Pandora Plus includes unlimited skips, replays, and offline listening, while Pandora Premium boasts all of these features as well as a curated, on-demand library.

Of course, we're happy to have folks listen, whether they are paid or free.

I hope this is helpful, and that you can understand the approach we have taken.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
73 Replies
Highlighted

Thanks for writing and for the feedback. I've noted your complaint for our advertising team. You are a valuable part of our listening audience, and we respect your opinion.

We recognize that certain material is sensitive ground, so we do our best to preserve the listening experience. All of our ads are thoughtfully vetted by folks across various teams at Pandora, to ensure they are free from speech or content that is hateful, illegal, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate or unfair. While we respect the perspective of each individual, and while there are occasional judgment calls still required, we feel strongly that our advertising platform should not be in the business of censoring.

That being said, I have a couple of suggestions which you might find helpful. First, you might want to restrict Pandora from playing songs with explicit content. When you do that, you not only remove songs with explicit lyrical content, you also remove some ads that are not intended for people who have demonstrated an aversion to explicit content. As a result, this option may remove some advertisements that might offend you.

To disable explicit content from our website on a computer, click the icon (initial or picture) on the top right corner of the page, select Settings, and then Content Settings.

There, you should see an Explicit Content toggle, which indicates whether you would like to allow explicit content or not. Set this to Off.

You might also consider upgrading to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium. These are our advertising-free subscriptions, which also offer a number of other benefits you might find attractive.

For instance, Pandora Plus includes unlimited skips, replays, and offline listening, while Pandora Premium boasts all of these features as well as a curated, on-demand library.

Of course, we're happy to have folks listen, whether they are paid or free.

I hope this is helpful, and that you can understand the approach we have taken.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Local Performer

That was a terrible solution. It didn't solve the problem. If there is a minor swear word now in a song I might not hear the song. And if I recall correctly, someone else already pointed that they had the explicit content turned off. This is not a censorship issue. Censorship is you turning off content, my being able to opt out of content is not me censoring you or the advertiser from reaching anyone but me, it's exercising the understood counterpart to free speech which is the ability to stop listening to specific things. That's not being provided. You have a down vote option which skips straight over a song, consider installing that for ads since many many other services absolutely allow you to hide ads you don't like or aren't relevant and even when set to no preferences show mundane things. This isn't magic, this is a problem that other platforms figured out years ago. In addition, the sales pitch at the end of this reply guaranteed I'll never pay for it and will instead work on building up spotify. I'd avoided doing that because I'd spent a long time building up pandora stations but it sounds like part of your financial strategy is actually annoying or offending people into paying rather than letting them agree to ads from advertisers that they might actually be interested in. That is very messed up.

Moderator Edit: Format

Highlighted

@katansi I definitely understand your frustration around this and we appreciate your feedback.

While this is currently the only way to prevent explicit ads from playing on your account, I recommend creating a feature request for your specific suggestion here.

I'm sure that is a feature many other listeners would be interested in seeing as well.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 🎶

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Local Performer

Hi, I ended up here with the same problem. I like to listen at work and do not need adult ads playing at work. Period. I have had explicit content turned off in music for years now and the sex toy ads went away, but now they're back. I don't know what the parent ad company is for Adam & Eve to opt out. If I can't fix this I will have to stop using the service altogether.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Swebbz That ad should not be playing if you have your account set to not allow explicit content.

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Could you tell me a little more?

Please include as much of the below information as possible:

1. What was the ad for? Do you remember the brand, product, event or website name?
  2. How are you accessing Pandora? Are you on a computer, phone, tablet or in-home device (TV, Xbox, Blu-ray player, etc.)?
  3. Was it a visual ad, an audio ad, or a video ad with audio?
  4. Which of your station(s) did you hear/see it on?
  5. What time of day did this advertisement play?

If you're able to get a screenshot of what's happening, please send that along as well.

Once I have more information about the ad, I can pass it along to our advertising team.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Local Performer

I drive uber and I play music that will not have curse words in it in my car, but I don't want to have viagara or adam&eve commercials playing in the car.  It sounds like the only solution right now is to buy the premium version which contradicts what you said about us being a valuable part of the listening audience.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Don't like political ads

Underground

"All of our ads are thoughtfully vetted by folks across various teams at Pandora" Really? And so these folks and their teams apparently think it's approriate to run Trojan and erectile dysfunction ads as long as it generates income for Pandora. Ok, got it.

Highlighted

Re: Don't Like Specific Ads

Local Performer

I have had to turndown the volume during what i consider inappropriate, ie Trojan. While normally this wouldn't bother me when im listening to unedited music alone or around adults, it is a problem at home when my kids are around. One is 4 and the other is 7. Too young for the bird n the bees talk just yet. I understand i am using a free ad supported service but i believe you should be able to flag an ad as being not appropriate or unwanted. I feel this is along the same lines as a political ad or similar where its common for mudslinging. Also, though i havent heard an ad for mary jane yet, im sure it coming as ive seen bill boards now  advertising the stuff. Again I happen to be pro legalization but i dont want my kids to be seeing ads about it. If we could flag an ad as too repetitive or offensive, maybe display a different ad or option to view multiple ads to make up the difference in revenue , if there is one. I find it hard to believe you dont have a cache of many different potential ads to show. I'm not going to quit listening as ive used and loved pandora for many years. Just hope you continue to make improvements and take this in consideration. Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Don't Like Specific Ads

@scorpien101 You can restrict Pandora from playing songs or displaying ads with explicit language on Pandora radio stations. Enabling this filter will limit Pandora to playing music and ads that could play on daytime broadcast radio.

For more information on how to accomplish this, follow this link

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: commercials

Underground

Hello,

I'm a junior high teacher and was playing my music on shuffle when an advertisement for Adam & Eve popped on.  It was advertising adult pleasure and turning your partner on.  I need this not to happen or I will stop using pandora.

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Info

Highlighted

Re: commercials

@MillerArt What is the name of the station that advertisement played on?

Let me know.

0 Kudos