cancel
Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Family Plan: "Someone Else is Listening" Message

Seb
Local Performer

At home we listen to Pandora via Sonos / Alexa smart speakers. At the same time my wife as well as I like to listen through our phones. To avoid the "someone else is listening" issue we joined the family plan. Annoyingly this did not help, as we still got the same error msg. 

As a next step I created for my own use a new account and invited it into the family. But now I get ads. How do I change that?

Also, this setup also makes it cumbersome as I always have to change user on my phone. 

There must be a more elegant way, appreciate any help.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
97 Replies

Dolphingrltna
Local Performer

When I first upgraded to the family plan we could listen at the same time without it telling us it was being played on another device, I don't understand why if we are paying more for a subscription that it's not an option to be able to listen on more than one device especially on the family plan where they are signed into their own accounts.

AdamPandora

@Dolphingrltna I moved your post to this thread to keep the community tidy.

As long as each member of your family is signed into their separate Pandora accounts on their devices, that error message should not pop up.

It may help to have everyone sign out of Pandora on their devices, and then sign back in using the email addresses associated with their Pandora accounts.

If you believe that message is getting triggered due to an unauthorized user on your account, please reach out to our support team directly for assistance with securing your account here

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

zymurgypg
Local Performer

Hello, Adam, You said:

>As long as each member of your family is signed into their separate Pandora accounts on their devices, that error message should not pop up.

I think what most people are looking for is a distinction when using devices like Amazon's Echo. For instance, in our house we have 9 Echo devices. The kids have their own in their rooms and listen to Pandora on them. 

We have a premium family account and they have their own pandora accounts they use on their phones. 

When we attempt to listen at the same time on the Echoes, Pandora informs us only 1 person can listen at a time. This is due to the fact the skill for the echoes only allows one main account linked to it for Pandora. The skill then uses that account for all interactions with the echoes. 

So, the limitation really **ahem** even if you have paid extra money for pandora access for the family. Can you see what we mean?

Who is responsible for the Alexa skill? Is there a way to contact them and request the ability to have the skill handle family members? For instance, "Alexa, play Disco Music on Pandora using Mom's account." 

0 Kudos

toddleap
Underground
Thank you for explaining better than I was able to. I have a Sonos system set up in the house with about a dozen different rooms. Sonos only allows one sign on for each music service within the home system. All of the other services allows multiple uses within the system (Amazon Prime, Sirius XM, Google Play etc.). Pandora is the only one that will not allow this with a family account. Since Sonos only allows one logon for the Pandora service for the entire home system, as soon as a second room tries to use Pandora we get the "Another user is currently using Pandora......". It makes Pandora Family pretty worthless.

tiarene12
Local Performer

my account keeps saying someone else is listening and kicking me off i have the family premium why is this doing this 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@tiarene12 I moved your post to this thread to keep the community tidy.

Take a look at the post I provided above as this may explain what is happening.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

0 Kudos

SeanFarley
Local Performer

Pandora, I am a premium subscriber with teh Family Plan. I have been with you since the begining. You need a fix. I listen to Pandora at Home, in the office and in the car and on my phone. I purchased the family plan because my kids will turn it on when they are home and I am at work etc. I am juggling 4 family accounts for my home my phone my car my office. Cant you just let us listen at the same time. I have 4 or 5 accounts on the family plan. I dont know who is logged in where, but somehow someone is always listening somewhere and I always have to press the let me listen popup.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@SeanFarley Our support team has taken a quick look at your account and have confirmed that only 3 accounts are currently connected to your family plan subscription.

Upgrading to the Family Plan means that you and up to five other accounts can enjoy all of the benefits of Pandora Premium, while keeping your individual Pandora accounts.

If that error message is popping up, then that means you and some of your family members are still logged into the same account on each of your devices.  

What I recommend doing is creating 3 additional accounts (if you haven't yet already) and adding them to your plan.

That way, you can sign into six different devices using the six different accounts that are on the plan, and each of you can listen simultaneously on the various devices. 

Hope this helps explain. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎢

0 Kudos

dquigl8381
Local Performer

I have a Pandora Family Acct.  I have been trying to listen to Pandora at my office but I keep getting a message: "Someone else is listening".  With a Family Acct. my wife and I should both be able to listen at the same time on different devices.  What's up???

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @dquigl8381. πŸ‘‹

I moved your post over to this thread as it sounds like you're having a similar experience as these other listeners.

I would recommend checking out @AdamPandora's post regarding this here.

You can also check out this helpful article about streaming multiple devices under one account.

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

kfnet-hch
Local Performer

So let me get this straight.  I upgrade (pay more). Invite the other email accounts (family members), not Pandora accounts.  So each of the family members needs to first create a Pandora account (free/no charge).  and then what???

I created a Pandora account for my office system, went into my email and clicled on "Accept Invite" , and it stil goes back to my main Pandora account..

Some clear step by step instructions would help, else I am moving musiness to Amazon Music!!!

Thank You,

concerned Customer...

AdamPandora

@kfnet-hch Yes - upgrading to the Family Plan means that you and up to five other accounts can enjoy all of the benefits of Pandora Premium, while keeping your individual Pandora accounts.

You will first need to set up separate Pandora accounts using different email addresses for each family member that wants to join the subscription.

Once those accounts are created (if they aren't yet already), you can then send them an invitation to join your family plan subscription.

They should then be able to accept the invitation to the family plan subscription you sent.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you've already sent an invite to a family member and they haven't received it, make sure that:

1. You've sent the invite to an email address your family member can access (not necessarily the email address on their Pandora account);
  2. They check their spam folder, as the invite may have ended up there.

Once they've received your invite email, they'll simply select Accept Invite, and either log into their existing Pandora account or create a new account.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

toddleap
Underground
Unfortunately this isn't an option if you have a Sonos or similar system set up in your home. These systems (like Sonos) allow for only one Pandora account for the entire system (not per user or per room). This makes Pandora Family Plan useless on these systems with the current requirement to assign accounts to each user.

bcc243
Local Performer

How is this not the default option. Having seperate accounts is so cumbersome and annoying to have to change accounts on each device. I have 12 alexa's in my house and 2 cell phones. How can I create a seperate account for each one and why would i want to. This issue combined with pandora having the worst bit rate streaming quality possible (only 96k on alexa) i can't wait for another streaming company to come up with radios stations like pandora. That is the only reason i use pandora. Pandora will loose all their users once a competitor offers staions like pandora. Pandora service is worse than comcast and that is not an easy task. You may even have to change your name from pandora due to the bad taste associated with pandora serrvice.

0 Kudos

BamaDuckSlayer
Local Performer
My girlfriend and I would both like to listen at the same time on TWO different devices. What needs to be done in order to get this done? I have cancelled my Premium subscription per Pandora CS email, but when I sign into my account here on my laptop, it still shows Premium being activated. Pandora CS has been ZERO help thus far Case #: 02616091
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@BamaDuckSlayer If you want to upgrade to the Family Plan so that you and your girlfriend can both stream Pandora on two different devices at the same time, just make sure each of you have your own separate accounts created under your own personal email addresses.

Once upgraded, you can add your girlfriend's Pandora account to your plan.

If you are still having trouble upgrading, you will need to reply back directly to the email you already have going with our User Support team, and they will be happy to further assist.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎢

0 Kudos

BamaDuckSlayer
Local Performer

Thanks for the help AdamPandora! That worked and we are now listening independently on two different devices at the same time!

AlyssaPandora

Awesome! @BamaDuckSlayer.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

In the meantime, enjoy the tunes! πŸŽΉ

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

iluvmusic
Local Performer

Hi i have a question now i understand that each person who will be listening on this plan must have there own individual pandora account I got that can they be free accounts I have the one with the paid family plan or are you also saying they need to be paid accounts as well. I hope not that makes no since if my family has to have a paid subscription as well when Iam already playing for the family plan. . Please advise.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @iluvmusic Welcome to community! Thanks for posting. 

In order to join your Family Plan, each member must have their own individual Pandora account, that is not currently upgraded to a paid subscription. Meaning, there account must be free, ad-supported in order to join your Premium Family subscription. 

If the account is upgraded to a paid subscription, that subscription will need to be canceled first, before being able to join. 

Hope this helped answer your question. Let me know if you have any more questions. πŸ‘

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap