cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Plan: "Someone Else is Listening" Message

Seb
Local Performer

At home we listen to Pandora via Sonos / Alexa smart speakers. At the same time my wife as well as I like to listen through our phones. To avoid the "someone else is listening" issue we joined the family plan. Annoyingly this did not help, as we still got the same error msg. 

As a next step I created for my own use a new account and invited it into the family. But now I get ads. How do I change that?

Also, this setup also makes it cumbersome as I always have to change user on my phone. 

There must be a more elegant way, appreciate any help.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora

@debitinker If that error message is popping up, then that means someone else is logged into your account on their device and attempting to stream Pandora at the same time as you.

Each member of your family will need to be logged into their devices using their own personal Pandora accounts that are added to your family plan.

If you believe that message is getting triggered due to an unauthorized user on your account, please reach out to our support team directly for assistance with securing your account here

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

97 Replies

AdamPandora

@Seb Nice to see you around the community!

Our support team has let me know that they will be contacting you via the email at the email address your Pandora account is registered under.

Look out for their message, and they will be happy to dig into this further with you.

0 Kudos

debitinker
Local Performer

Is there a fix? I also get the same error message, from time to time. I also am on the family plan. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@debitinker If that error message is popping up, then that means someone else is logged into your account on their device and attempting to stream Pandora at the same time as you.

Each member of your family will need to be logged into their devices using their own personal Pandora accounts that are added to your family plan.

If you believe that message is getting triggered due to an unauthorized user on your account, please reach out to our support team directly for assistance with securing your account here

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

View solution in original post

bkapp4
Local Performer

I have a premium family plan. Why is it still only allowing one user to listen at a time? Isn't that one of the main advantages of being a family plan?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@bkapp4 Welcome to the community!

I moved your message to this thread in order to keep the community orgainzed.

I recommend looking at the information I left in the comment above as it should resolve the issue you are running into.

Momrockstoo
Local Performer

I upgraded to pandora premium family plan so that my husband and kids and I could all listen to Pandora at the same time without getting kicked off. I was able to activate the account and sent invites and we are still getting the error that someone else is listening to your pandora accounts. I thought this was the point of a family account. Do we really have to all have separate subscriptions to listen at the same time?! 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Momrockstoo Thanks for posting on community.  I've merged your post with this exisiting thread about the same question. 

Sorry for any confusion. Upgrading to the Family Plan means that you and up to five other accounts can enjoy all of the benefits of Pandora Premium, while keeping your individual Pandora accounts.

As long as each person on the family plan is on their own account, you can all listen to Pandora at the same time. However, you still won't be allowed to play music from a single Pandora account on multiple devices simultaneously. 

For more information about Premium Family, please click here

Hope this helps to clarify. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Seb
Local Performer

Hi ShawPandora,

This issue, while technically clarified, seems to be a pretty common problem. Customers are weaving in and out of the home, which makes "own account only" very cumbersome, even if multiple single accounts are allowed under the family plan. (Do you want to sign in at your Alexa every time you want to listen to your music?)

Can I suggest that Pandora looks into developing a multiple users (family) setup, which would certainly have great appeal to the community. Even if that were to work at home only (in conjunction with Alexa etc.) then we'd truly have a good solution.

kablam0r
Local Performer

Hi,

My Pandora subscription is up for renew. I'm debating between Pandora and Apple Music's family plan. My question is, can we utilize Pandora Family plan in our house, if all the Amazon devices are registered under a single Amazon Prime account. 

Example:

I am listening to Miike Snow Pandora station on my Echo Show in the living room.

My 10 year old want's to hear Bust a Move radio in his room on his Echo dot, which is registered under the same Amazon account as the Echo Show in the living room.

Make sense? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Removed personal info

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@kablam0r Welcome to the community!

Pandora Premium Family Plan offers all of the features of Pandora Premium to up to six unique Pandora accounts. 

So if you upgrade to the family plan, the subscription won't actually be linked to your Amazon account, but each Pandora account you have added to the subscription.

If you have multiple devices in your house that you wish to play simultaneously, you will first need to create additional Pandora accounts using different email addresses (up to six in total) and add them to your family plan subscription. You can then sign into the additional accounts you create on your various devices. 

For more information on the Pandora Premium Family, you can view this page

If you'd like to speak with our support team directly for more information, you can contac them for assistance here

hemivette
Local Performer

We purchased the family plan, but it will only let us stream 1 device. Did i do something wrong setting it up?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@hemivette I moved your message to this thread to keep the community organized.

I recommend taking a look at the information @TannerPandora provided in his message above

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

0 Kudos

Seanjack
Local Performer

I have the family plan and one of the accts is dedicated to my home SONOS and the rest are simply for me and my wife when we are working out or driving. 

This is not working. The home cuts off constantly and says that someone else is listening but no one is. I don't have this problem with Napster or any of the others and I am getting sick of having to go back into SONOS and get the music going again. 

I am paying the family plan rate and its not working .. No idea how to reach support in this modern (Apple) like world and about to fire Pandoro. If there is a support team at Pandora, contact me. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Seanjack sorry to hear you're having trouble with Premium Family. I've gone ahead and contacted our support team, they will be reaching out to you via the email associated with your Pandora account. Please be on the look out for their email. 

Thanks for posting to community! 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

jsondenaa
Local Performer

I was traveling and tried to listen to Pandora. Family was listening to music at home and I received the questions "allow other device" or "listen locally". Why can't I listen while traveling without impacting family at home?

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @jsondenaa.

Did the error message state that "Someone Else is Listening"?

If so, please check out this helpful post about that here.

++

Each of your Premium Family members will get full access to Pandora Premium features, but they'll have their own account. (In other words, you won't have to share your music unless you want to.)

Please keep in mind, to listen on two devices simultaneously, you'll need to have two separate Pandora accounts on your family plan.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

bakertv
Local Performer

AGREED! I have been curating Pandora playlists for years and want to listen:

-in my car

-AND simultaneously at home when family is listening and I'm in car.

I purchased the family plan and so Pandora Support is saying I need to make separate accounts for each LOCATION?

Why can't I just stream music on one account in multiple locations?

AdamPandora

@bakertv While that is not currently an option, the best way to get your suggestions heard is by creating a Feature Request here. 💡

0 Kudos

toddleap
Underground
This setup for multiple accounts does not work with Sonos. I have a Sonos system set up in my home in multiple rooms with multiple devices. In the Sonos system I can only designate one Pandora account. If there are users in multiple rooms attempting to use pandora we keep getting messages that only one user can use the pandora account. Since the family pandora plan requires each user to have the own login it really limits our use. Is there a way we can work around this? Can't Pandora at least recognize that this is a family plan being used on a Sonos system?
0 Kudos