cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Plan: "Someone Else is Listening" Message

Seb
Local Performer

At home we listen to Pandora via Sonos / Alexa smart speakers. At the same time my wife as well as I like to listen through our phones. To avoid the "someone else is listening" issue we joined the family plan. Annoyingly this did not help, as we still got the same error msg. 

As a next step I created for my own use a new account and invited it into the family. But now I get ads. How do I change that?

Also, this setup also makes it cumbersome as I always have to change user on my phone. 

There must be a more elegant way, appreciate any help.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
97 Replies

Taez
Local Performer

I have just subscribed  to the Pandora  Family-plan. I have invited my wife to join my plan. When she excepts the invite, and enters her credentials on her phone, it shows all my music and seems like it is my profile. We also get the massege  that someone is listening  to Pandora. Please help with a step by step tutorial.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Taez, thanks for posting to community. 

If you are receiving the message, "Your Pandora Account is currently playing on another device," or "Someone else is listening," then more than one device is streaming from one account at the same time.

Upgrading to the Family Plan means that you and up to five other accounts can enjoy all of the benefits of Pandora Premium, while keeping your individual Pandora accounts.

As long as each person on the family plan is on their own account, you can all listen to Pandora at the same time. However, you still won't be allowed to play music from a single Pandora account on multiple devices simultaneously.

I recommend all listeners on the family plan sign out of any device(s) they are using and then sign back in, ensuring that everyone is logging in with their own Pandora account.

If you continue to run into trouble, let me know. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

coastalcutter
Local Performer

upgraded to the premium family plan but still routinely get the "someone else wants to listen-let them listen..." message. we are all registered on the family plan and paying the premium monthly fee; how can we get rid of this problem?

mod edit: changing title for clarity and format

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @coastalcutter

Thanks for posting.

I took a peek at the master account on your family plan and it looks like only 2 out of 3 invitations have been accepted. More than likely, what is happening here, is that someone is using the same Pandora account, on multiple devices leading to the error message.

I've gone ahead and escalated this to our User Support team. Someone from the team will reach out to further help you with this. Please be on the look out for their email. 

Thanks for being part of community!

0 Kudos

dlm76655
Local Performer

I recently switched from Pandora Premium  to the family plan so my wife could also listen while I was on the account.

since switching we get messages “ someone else is listening”. Additionally we get commercials.

any idea how to correct this? 

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @dlm76655, thanks for posting to community!

I moved your message over to an existing thread on this subject here

I checked your account and I do see that you've upgraded to the Premium Family. However, it doesn't look like your wife has accepted her invitation, it still shows as pending. Sounds like you both might be signed into the same account right now. 

I've asked gone ahead and accepted the invitation on her behalf from my end. Please have her log out of the Pandora app on her device and be sure to log back in with her own Pandora account email and password. 

If you continue to have trouble, let me know!

0 Kudos

patrojan2005
Local Performer

I switched to the premium family upgrade.  My daughter activated it through the email I sent but she  is getting messages that someone else is listening and "let them listen" or "continue listening".  I am not getting those messages on my end anymore but she is.  How do I fix this so we are both able to listen?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Howdy @patrojan2005! Thanks for posting to community! I moved your message over to an existing thread here to keep things tidy.

I checked out the family account and I do see that one person has been added, but another is still pending. This may be a case of sharing Pandora accounts by accident, however, I'm going to escalate this to our User Support team just to be sure. 

They will be contacting you shortly via email. Please be on the look out for their response.

👋🏻

0 Kudos

toa
Local Performer

We just upgraded to Family plan so that we can both listen to our thoroughly curated stations simultaneously... but we cannot. 

Lots of customers are in the same boat... and it seems that Pandora doesn't care... and has not addressed the problem. 

Please fix this. That's why we have paid for the family plan... all of your customers. 

By the way, I have been a loyal Pandora user since it first came out. 

My SweetHeart and I just want to be able to listen to our well-curated stations simultaneously... and we were happy to pay extra... which we did.

Are you going to fix this? It has been repeatedly requested. 

What is the point of the family plan if it won't do this? 

THANK you in advance for listening to your many loyal customers. 

TannerPandora

Hi @toa Thanks for posting! I moved your message over to an existing thread: Family Plan: "Someone Else is Listening" Message

I checked your account and I do see that you've upgraded to the Family Plan, and I see an invitation has been sent out, but it hasn't been accepted yet. Sounds like one Pandora account is being shared, which can explain why you're receiving the message.

Upgrading to the Family Plan means that you and up to five other accounts can enjoy all of the benefits of Pandora Premium, while keeping your individual Pandora accounts.

As long as each person on the family plan is on their own account, you can all listen to Pandora at the same time. However, you still won't be allowed to play music from a single Pandora account on multiple devices simultaneously.

I've gone ahead and escalated this to our User Support team to further help with this. They will be contacting you via the email associated with your Pandora account. 

Please be on the look out for their reply. Thanks for being part of community!

0 Kudos

Ahampton30
Local Performer

I have done something that apparently a lot of people have done. I paid extra money for a better plan thinking it would allow multiple devices. I was wrong! I, just like a lot of other people have been duped. This is obviously a problem within the community and I wonder why Pandora has not done something about it. This is my account and I wanted to be able to be mobile and listen to my tunes while my wife could be at home and keep listening. Even If we create her another account and somehow get through the whole debacle of getting the family invite system to work properly, she would still get commercials. It is my opinion, that this farce is being allowed to continue because is it is a money maker to fool people into paying for the extras and fall short of expectations. Pandora, please give me my money back! I want to cancel my subscription! 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Ahampton30 Nice to see you around the community. 👋🏽

I'm happy to explain how exactly the family plan works.

While you are correct that you won't be able to stream the same account on multiple devices simultaneously with the family plan, you do have the option of adding up to five other accounts to the plan so that you can all enjoy the same benefits of Pandora Premium.

This means if you create a second account for your wife using her own email address and add her to your family plan, she too will be able to stream Pandora using her account while you stream your account simultaneously. 

As long as you add the account you create for her to your family plan, she'll also be able to listen commercial-free, as well as enjoy the full benefits of Pandora Premium.

If you'd like me to put you in touch with our support team directly so that they can help you get your wife added to your family plan, let me know and I'll be happy to do that.

Hope this helps! 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

PuzzleDad
Local Performer

Hey Pandora, 

It's pretty obvious this implementation of the family plan is not what people want. The someone else is listening message is the most annoying thing that made people upgrade and the first thing that happens when you pay all that money is you get this message again right away... Major Product Leadership Failure.

Instead of letting your "old school finance guys" dictate your features , and thereby getting left in the past by these types of mistakes ,why not take example of a the most successful streaming company (Netflix) and limit it by the number of instances running under one account. Sure you may not as easily be able to associate username@domain.com with Data XYZ, but really that isnt necessary cause the station customization  handles the users needs fine. That is Dad listens to Solo Piano , but daughter listens to New Pop,  its easy to aggregate the data that way if you know what your doing. I am going to go cancel family since it is functionally the same based on what the USER WANTs.

0 Kudos

SamuelBMote
Local Performer

I have set my wife and son up on my family plan yet this morning I had it playing and my wife kicked me off when she started listening. Why is that.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@SamuelBMote I moved your post to this thread since you are running into a similar issue: Family Plan: "Someone Else is Listening" Message

It sounds like the two of you are still logged into the same account on both of your devices.

While I do see you've sent an invitation to three different people to join your plan, only one of them has been accepted so far.

I am going to have someone from our support team contact you privately via email to help get those additional accounts added to your plan.

Please keep an eye out for their message. 📬

0 Kudos

Curtxre
Underground

Terrible.  Pandora is being buried by better services.  What's the point of the "family plan" (what a misleading misnomer) if my wife can't listen to a device over there while I'm listening to something else over here...?  Pointless and silly.  You guys better catch up, or you'll be history.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Curtxre I moved your post over to this existing thread: Family Plan: "Someone Else is Listening" Message

With a family plan subscription, each person should be able to stream their own accounts simultaneously.

After taking a look at your account, it looks like you've sent a few invitations, however none of them have been accepted yet.

So what is likely happening is your wife is still logged into your account on her devices when you both attempt to stream Pandora at the same time.

I am going to have someone from our support team contact you privately via email to help get those additional people added to your plan so that you can each enjoy the full benefits of the subscription.

Please keep an eye out for their message.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 🤝

0 Kudos

Curtxre
Underground

Their own accounts... That's the key words, right?  They each need a separate pandora account to be able to listen at will, so everybody is paying for their own accounts, you cannot add to one central account and just add a tier fee... Right?    If so, your premium family pitch is deceptive marketing.

Do not reach out to my invitees at this point.  Do not.  I've already cancelled the "Family plan" because it isn't really a family plan in the usual sense of the word.  I'm actively exploring other streaming services with better service (and better audio quality too, btw.)

Curt

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

lynnlorr
Local Performer

Good evening. 

We seem to be having issues with 2 of us listening to different music on Pandora at the same time. We do have & pay for the family plan. I just logged into my account to be sure that I wasn't logged in as my wife. 

We continue to get the "someone else is listening" message. 

Please help, this is frustrating. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@lynnlorr It sounds like you may have an unauthorized user on your account if that error message is popping up.

I am going to have someone from our support team contact you privately via email to help secure your account.

Please keep an eye out for their message. 📬

0 Kudos