cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays at low volume

Carliemlee
Local Performer

I have an iPhone.... the others in this are android.. but it seems to be a pandora thing since we are all having this issue . My other music is much much louder. Everything in my phone is much louder. I thought something was wrong with my phone but it’s brand new .is there a sound setting we need to change orrrrrr just this app ? I’ve used this app for 14 years. Even with iPhone music, I have my OG stations 😂 from 2007 and up I don’t like to switch. Never had a sound issue. Clearly.... it’s always been a fav and priority . 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Carliemlee. 👋

To keep everything tidy, I moved your post over to the iOS section of the community space. 

A few things to keep in mind:

• We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others.
  • We do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.
  • If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

If you're noticing a recent difference, you can also try out the troubleshooting steps for iOS devices to see if this helps. 

We also have an existing feature request that you may be interested in here: Sound Balancing / More Volume Settings

Hope this information is helpful. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

4 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

To keep everything tidy, I moved your post over to the iOS section of the community space. 

A few things to keep in mind:

• We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others.
  • We do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.
  • If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

If you're noticing a recent difference, you can also try out the troubleshooting steps for iOS devices to see if this helps. 

We also have an existing feature request that you may be interested in here: Sound Balancing / More Volume Settings

Hope this information is helpful. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

machtenx
Underground

I love Pandora, find the experience unmatched by Spotify / YTM / Apple Music.  With that said, I am find myself forced to consider cancelling Premium to leave for another service for this simple issue: Pandora Volume level from iPad speakers is far less than all other competitors. 

I have compared the volume of the identical song on Pandora with every other major provider and on every other provider it is a louder sound. When I am using iPad speakers, I need the full volume output they are capable of. 

I am aware that Pandora does not apply changes to the sound, but to be honest I cannot understand why Pandora would be *the only music app* that outputs lower volume. How would this be of any advantage? We are not at audiophile quality bit rate, so what is the point of not having the potential for full volume output? 

Please let me know if there is something I’m missing, some way to possibly make Pandora’s volume match the rest of other ipad apps...I love Pandora please help...Thank you!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for posting, and for sharing your feedback about the volume. I completely understand where you're coming from. To keep the community space organized, I moved your post over to an existing thread: Music plays at low volume

I would recommend checking out the accepted solution for this here.

++

Feature Requests:

Other listeners are interested in having more sound / volume settings for Pandora. Feel free to check out this existing feature request: Sound Balancing / More Volume Settings

• To upvote a feature suggestion, please click on the 💙icon next to the title of the request.
  • For more information about how feature requests work on the Pandora Community, please review this helpful infographic: "How to requests become features?"

I hope this information is helpful. Hope to see you around the community space more often. 🎧

DiddlyD
Local Performer

I find when syncing to my car media system to listen, volumn is limited by Pandora's streaming service.  When I'm listening on my Iphone it's pretty good at least with some songs.  I have read you don't alter the recordings but volumn is just a how high you turn up the volume on the radio that's all.  My car system is capable of blasting my music/  I otherwise enjoy the the crisp clean sounds on many of the instrumentals I enjoy and sometimes I just want it a bit louder to feel it.

I agree, just upgraded to premium today and did some research found Spotify was rate a bit higher than Pandora but both in the top teir. So I download Spotify and played the same music going back and forth and I came to the same conclusion, Pandora is better quality sound, just can use more volumn especially since you are syncing it with other devices that have controls that are made useless as a result of Pandoras volumn limitations.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts