cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Drains Battery When App is in Use

goatgoatgoat
Underground

Something is wrong. I can't recall exactly when Pandora started abusing my battery but it will drain around 15% in about 30 mins. This is with screen off, phone on a counter or somewhere else while I work with Pandora playing music. Pandora 100% is the culprit of this battery drain, I can listen to a podcast on youtube or spotify and my phone will last all day. I have tried clearing cache, deleting data, reinstalling the app, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've tried other music streaming services solely because of this battery issue but they just don't help me discover new music quite like Pandora does

Edit: This is on a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra SM-N986U, Android 13 (N986USQU4HWD1) / One UI 5.1

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@goatgoatgoat I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Drains Battery When App Not in Use

Can you please do me a favor and send me a screenshot of your battery usage showing what percentage is being used up by Pandora?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this!

0 Kudos

goatgoatgoat
Underground

Thanks for the reply Adam. My issue isn't actually when Pandora isn't in use, but happens when it is streaming music. I can close the app and the battery drains as you'd expect from an idling device, but when Pandora is open and playing music the battery tanks at a rate I've never seen from any app- it drains even faster than it would if I were watching HD videos on youtube. I will post screenshots of this usage here soon

Something is wrong. I can't recall exactly when Pandora started abusing my battery but it will drain around 15% in about 30 mins WHILE USING THE APP. Not after the app is closed. It isn't starting itself up or misbehaving in any other way. The battery just tanks while the app is actively playing music. This is with screen off, phone on a counter or somewhere else while I work with Pandora playing music. Pandora 100% is the culprit of this battery drain, I can listen to a podcast on youtube or spotify and my phone will last all day. I have tried clearing cache, deleting data, reinstalling the app, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've tried other music streaming services solely because of this battery issue but they just don't help me discover new music quite like Pandora does

This is on a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra SM-N986U, Android 13 (N986USQU4HWD1) / One UI 5.1

Again, I am getting excessive battery drain WHILE USING THE APP.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

You can see in the screenshots where the chart drops off is where pandora is active.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@goatgoatgoat Thanks for following up.

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps once more: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

Please make sure to run through all of the troubleshooting steps listed on that page, and if this continues to be an issue, please reply back to this thread and let us know.

Thanks again for all the help with this! 

0 Kudos

goatgoatgoat
Underground

I have completed the troubleshooting and will use the app normally tomorrow throughout the day. I'll let you know if the issue persists, although I suspect it will as I have done the troubleshooting steps before a few updates ago

bpfuchs
Underground

Pandora will not stop streaming in the background using up all of my data and draining the battery battery. They have known about this problem for some time and have not fixed it. The only way to stop it is to delete the app. I have given up and will cancel my subscription.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bpfuchs Can you please confirm if music is actually playing on your device, where sound is coming out of the speakers on your Android phone? 

Or is the issue that the player notification randomly shows on your device, however music isn't actually coming out of your speakers?

If that is the case, we do have a separate thread where users have reported the same experience here: Android: Pandora player notification appears when app is closed

Can you please also send me a screenshot of what you're seeing?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos