cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(RESOLVED) Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Srzvb
Local Performer

I finally gave up tonight and deleted App. Going to be a pain to switch but I’m tired of it turning on by itself, waking me up, and/or draining my battery. Done with it.  Junk app. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Pandora Status Update (10/03/23) RESOLVED:

Hi all!

Thank you for your replies and follow up after the 2308.1.1 release. We have received confirmation that the issue with music beginning to play when your phone restarts has been resolved.

Please note: We understand that some listeners may see a persistent player notification appear when the Pandora app is closed. While this experience may have been present during the above issue this is considered a separate bug and under investigation.

For those of you who have reported the player notification in this thread you have already been added to our ticket. For updates or if you're a new listener who is experiencing this, please visit Android: Pandora player notification appears when app is closed.

Thank you for taking the time to post and for your patience.

*This post has been marked as the solution and blocked from further comments.

Pandora Status Update (10/02/23):

Hi all!

Thank you for posting your experiences. We understand how frustrating this has been.

With the 2308.1.1 release, we believe we have fixed the issue where the app would begin to automatically play music after your phone restarts. If you haven't already, please be sure to update to 2308.1.1.

If you don't see this version available for your device yet, please be patient as we continue to monitor our release schedule.

++

For those that are on 2308.1.1, we would like additional help to clarify your experience.

Specifically, if audible music begins to play after rebooting your phone. In some cases you may see the player notification appear on your mobile device, however, there is no music playing. While this experience is similar, we'll need clarification if music is actually playing from the device.

If music does not play, can you let us know the following info:

1. Is the player notification for Pandora appearing but the app is not actually open in the background where it can be closed?
  2. Is the player notification for Pandora appearing and the app is opened in the background?

If after the update music continues to play after restarting your phone, please post your update in this thread for us to pass along to our teams.

We appreciate your help and continued patience.

Pandora Status Update (09/26/23):

Hi friends ‌👋

Our engineering team is still actively working on a resolution to address the issue. Rest assured that your feedback has been instrumental in guiding our efforts to rectify the situation. We understand that this has caused inconvenience and frustration, and we genuinely appreciate your continued patience as we work towards a solution.  ‌🤝

Pandora Update (09/21/23):

Hey friends 👋

Thank you for sharing your device details as well as your experience. I've updated my original post and removed the request for additional device details. At this time, we've gather enough information to share with engineering team about this issue for them to reproduce. They are actively working on a resolution and a moderator will update this thread when we have more info to share. 

We're grateful for your diligence in spotting this issue. Thanks again for your patience. 🎧

Pandora Update (09/18/23): Hi friends 👋

Thank you for raising the alarm regarding this issue.

Our engineering team is currently investigating. In the meantime, all reports from this thread are being shared on an internal ticket with our tech team. 

Something to note: I've seen a few posts regarding the "AutoStart" setting available for Premium subscribers. This issue is impacting all subscription tiers; adjusting this setting will not resolve the issue. 

While we don't have any new information to share right now, rest assured we will keep you updated on this thread when we do. We appreciate your patience while this is being worked on behind the scenes. 🎧

Pandora Update (09/15/2023): Hi friends 👋 

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback about your experience with the Pandora app playing without being prompted. We've shared (and will continue to share) all feedback provided on this thread with our tech team. When we received updates, the moderation team will post them here.

We appreciate your patience during the investigation process. 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

367 Replies

Badtaz99
Local Performer

How do I stop Pandora from keep coming on and running in the background?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Badtaz99 We've had some other users mention a similar experience on this thread: Android: Pandora App Won't Fully Close

Can you please confirm if you are running into the same issue?

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

Ggermanjr
Underground

I have two separate devices that, as long as Pandora is open in the background and paused, it will start playing at random.

You haven't seen the issue on Android with the Facebook app opening a new instance for every notification, which also hasn't been fixed for years, huh?

Device 1

• Model: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
  • Carrier: n/a
  • Android version: 12
  • Build number :SP2A.220305.013.T860XXS5DWH1
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device: August 1, 2030
  • Pandora version: 2307.1
  • Occurs while connected to wifi.

Device 2

• Model: Samsung Galaxy S20
  • Carrier: T-mobile 
  • Android version : 13
  • Build number: TP1A.220624.014.G981U1UES6HWG6
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device: August 1, 2023
  • Pandora version: 2307.1 
  • Occurs on cellular AND wifi.

Oddly, this had never happened to me before either June or July on either device, ever. After an update, it started happening on both. I have to close out the app fully every time if I don't want Pandora to start playing music with the apps minimized and paused and phone/tablet case closed.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ggermanjr Thanks for providing us with that information. I've sent this over to our engineers. This information is really valuable, and helps us determine what might be happening.

We really appreciate your patience in the meantime!

KC-Chic76
Local Performer

Came here looking for an answer. My Pandora app has opened on its own & starting playing a few times during the day over the last week. I thought maybe I hadn't closed out the app? Well I was woken up at 12:56 am to Busta Rhymes playing this morning. Talk about almost having a heart attack! Is there a fix for this yet? 

JamminSquirrel
Underground

I had this happen to me the other night... startled the hell out of my wife & I when Imagine Dragons started blasting out of my phone in the middle of the night. Last night I made sure to turn the media volume off & left phone out of our bedroom. This morning I noticed there was an android update available so I let that install & after my phone restarted Pandora started to play. I looked at the open apps & Pandora wasn't one of them. My bluetooth wasn't connected to any devices, either. If this continues I'll have to get rid of Pandora & cancel my subscription. This is on a Galaxy S20 SM-G981V Pandora version 2308.1

PJG
Underground

My pandora keeps coming on all by itself. I close it out and later, it comes back on without me turning it on.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @KC-Chic76 @PJG @JamminSquirrel 👋

Appreciate you taking the time to provide the particulars around your experience. I know how frustrating this can be.

Troubleshooting:

The standard troubleshooting steps can be found here: Android Troubleshooting

Device Details:

In the meantime, I've shared your feedback with our tech team on your behalf. 

If you haven't provided these already, it's helpful to know the following details so that we can pass them along:

• Your device model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number): 
  • The approximate date / time this occurred 

Thanks for reporting this issue and for your help with this. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

JamminSquirrel
Underground

Just launched on its own again. Didn't start playing, but in my notifications dropdown I saw it there ready to play... Haven't played Pandora on my phone all day. I even turned Auto-Play off in the settings. Is it syncing with my tablet or something? Maybe I'll try uninstalling & re-installing it. 

davebytes
Local Performer

Try dua lipa on volume 8, at like 430a.  Ugh.

Fabulousfemale
Local Performer

Mine is doing this also. Just started this week. I see it's been over a week since this was reported and no resolution. This is too disruptive. I'm going to remove it and just stick with Amazon 😞 

Neojord
Local Performer

At around 3:30 am, Pandora opens and blares at full volume System or a Down. The song is called "X". Great song, but holy **ahem**.

I did not keep the app open. I always swipe it closed if it is not in use. Bluetooth was not enabled.

Google Pixel something or other. Everything is updated.

I'm not going to troubleshoot. If this happens again, I will uninstall.

sjzemka0
Underground

Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Smartphone is Restarted

Very similar to the post about Pandora just randomly turning on by itself, my post is in regards to it happening ONLY when I restart my Samsung Galaxy S32 smartphone. It seems that after the phone is up and running for a few minutes, Pandora starts playing my playlist. This start within the last week here in 09/2023.              Model : SM-A326U     One UI - 5.1    Andriod - 13

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@davebytes @Fabulousfemale I've passed your feedback along to the engineers who are currently looking into this issue.

In the meantime, please check out @AlyssaPandora's message above for troubleshooting suggestions and a request for additional information about your device that we'll need.

Please follow up with that information when time permits.

Thanks for the help!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Neojord @sjzemka0 I moved your posts over to this existing thread: Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Your feedback has now been passed along to the engineers who are currently looking into this issue.

In the meantime, please check out @AlyssaPandora's message above for troubleshooting suggestions and a request for additional information about your device that we'll need.

We appreciate you working with us on this.

sjzemka0
Underground

I don't see the SOLVED : SOLUTION that you flagged my post with.

JamminSquirrel
Underground

I haven't had an issue since yesterday afternoon. I went into Apps & clicked on Pandora & used the force stop option to fully close the app. Since then I haven't had it randomly self-launch. Just listened to music for the past hour. Swiped the app out to stop it & made sure it wasn't still open in the notifications swipe down screen. I'll report back tomorrow. 

Irked
Local Performer

I had to uninstall the app, it kept randomly launching itself at all hours of the day!  I had to shut it down at least 4 times today and it just launched itself again as it sat on the table next to me!  Worse I figured I would give the phone a reboot, and guess what?  It launched itself again as soon as the phone rebooted, so uninstalled until it's fixed!

Samsung Galaxy Ultra S23

babytraytray
Opening Act

Hi, I am having the same issue. The pandora app is open ad soon as I turn my phone on. I don't know if this is due to having a system update recently or the Pandora app as I see alot of other people are having the same issue recently. I have an Android, Samsung note 20 5g which has a T-Mobile carrier.