cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Pandora turns itself on

Prplppletr
Local Performer

My pandora turns itself on in the middle of the night. Even, after I've exited out of the app completely. Every night, it does this. Just a sudden burst of music at midnight or 1 am...etc. I'm getting ready to delete the app myself. My battery life cannot handle pandora trying to play all night because, at this point, I've had to remember to make sure my volume is down before I go to sleep or else it's a rude awakening. Please fix this idiotic issue. 

Labels (1)
45 Replies

dc195
Underground

Any way to stop app from re-starting automatically each time I re-start or re-boot my phone? The app automatically logs on to my account and hogs the account so I get prevented from listening on my computer. It also looks to be draining the battery some and using cell data even though I have my wifi configured on the phone. I want to select when to start the app and want it fully off when I'm not using it.

I hope someone can help or I may have to un-install.

Dale

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dc195 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Pandora turns itself on

Please check out @TannerPandora's message above and confirm with us your exact experience.

Thanks for working with us on this.

0 Kudos

Pinkiguana91
Local Performer

It's still not fixed! I'm getting really pissed off it wakes me up at night >:[ and I paid $6 a month! What a joke I'm deleting and switching to spotify.

0 Kudos

sonjitree
Local Performer

I have pandora premium, i use an android. I have the options on my pandora cog and they are set to off (i dont see how to attach a screenshot). It still keeps turning itself on anytime i am close to my car and i turn it on or off, even after i have shut down pandora and awiped it away....sometimes several times. This really needs to get fixed. I cannot check my phone repeatedly all day to make sure it doesnt auto turn on. Please advise if theres something im not seeing to turn off. Its very frustrating.

0 Kudos

baymes1964
Local Performer

Pandora Turning Itself On/Not Closing

I understand I can manually force Pandora to close but I shouldn't have to. Also, it shouldn't be starting itself after it has been closed. Why is this happening and why isn't Pandora fixing it? Could it be they are mining my data? Is it turning on when I don't know it so it can hack more information from my phone? Is this the Chinese government monitoring American user's phones?

hypoxic
Local Performer

This absolutely is still happening. I had it happen previously on my kindle fire tablets, so I bought a brand new Lenovo M8 as the app isn't sideloaded and it should just work.

The experience for those techs who may not understand the issue:

Installed brand new/latest Pandora app from the Google play store on brand new Lenovo M8 tablet.
Launch Pandora app and log in with paid account.
Select and start playing station.
Pause playback on station (no music playing), leave tablet undisturbed (no interaction).
Come back a few minutes later, music is playing from tablet.

This is happening on a brand new tablet, with a brand new install from the official Play store. 

The issue isn't your customers or their devices, its the Android pandora app.

Update:
After pausing playing again on the new M8 Pandora,
Was listening to my account on a different device, a laptop, 
Pandora on my laptop stops playing, with 'Someone is listening to your Pandora account' message.

Go into other room where M8 was, and the $#@! thing is playing yet again!

Updated Update:
On the laptop I selected 'Let me listen' to the 'Someone is listening to your pandora' dialog.
A few minutes pass.
Hear from the other room where the tablet is an audio message saying 'Someone is listening to your pandora account.'
🙄

There are no external devices set to connect to the M8 tablet, there is no external control happening, just the app itself unpausing and playing music with no interaction.

I understand the techs in this forum can't fix this problem, but hopefully someone at Pandora can.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hypoxic Please check out @TannerPandora's message above and confirm with us your exact experience.

We'd like to clarify if audio is actually playing from your device and you can hear sound, or if you are only noticing that the notification player is opening (with no sound playing on your device).

Thanks for working with us on this.

0 Kudos

Pinkiguana91
Local Performer
It's not running in the background (obviously) my phone is turned off and I'm sound asleep and all of a sudden it does that starting noise and starts RANDOMLY playing music -_- I Uninstalled and reinstalled. It's not every night but it's happened 3 times under 2 months and I work long hours It's annoying getting woken up. I even pay the 6 dollar monthly

Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Get Outlook for Android<>
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pinkiguana91 Thanks for following up with that information.

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

The next time this happens, please make note of the date and time, and reply back to this thread to let us know.

We appreciate you working with us on this.

0 Kudos

Bbowden78
Local Performer

Just restarted my phone and the app in the background launched but no song is playing but it says you haven't added any content yet?? I took a screenshot but don't know how to load it here.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Bbowden78 If you are accessing this Community thread from your mobile device, you can tap on this image in the Reply box to upload an image:

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 4.24.55 AM.png 

0 Kudos

MusicFan5427
Underground

I literally cannot screenshot it because it's in the notification window. What has the Engineering team discovered so far?

0 Kudos

hypoxic
Local Performer

Yes, it was playing and making sound, that was what I described, multiple times...

However it appears if I disable Advanced > Auto Start and don't 'automatically play music when pandora starts', the issue no longer repros.

Imo its a poor design choice to make the app automatically start playing and making noise when launched or restarted by the Android OS, but someone thought it was a good idea, and someone more sane thought it a good idea to be able to disable that 'feature'.

0 Kudos

Bakedtaterz
Local Performer

Every morning, I power up my phone, and the first thing it does is open the pandora app on its own. I need this to stop. It's quite annoying especially when I'm in a meeting and all of a sudden my music starts playing. How do I stop it from opening up everytime I power up my phone? It's been happening for months and I'm close to switching music apps because of this.

Taco77
Underground

Same, it's a joke. 

Now with the new Ford update my phone was running some random Pandora song that I didn't approve and I was trying to play Pandora on the radio in my car through Android auto and both songs are playing on top of each other at the same time and I couldn't close either one. So many bugs in this program it's really not worth it anymore I think I might have to delete my account. Constantly runs in the background notification is always on the screen I keep swiping clothes it comes back it's just so invasive. 

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

meffie
Local Performer

So I have been using Pandora for years, on multiple Samsungs, currently S23 Note Ultra and the only issue I have is Pandora never seems to close. It always shows the "notification" that a song is loaded and ready.

This morning however, it randomly started playing and woke me up while phone was asleep and on DND. I have auto resume etc off, always has been.

Super annoying, and my wife is pissed. I pay for premium too. Maybe its time to stop supporting pandora and switch to Spotify. There is no reason I have to constantly look at a Pandora song notification, and especially no reason for it to randomly play

0 Kudos

Smedley
Local Performer

I don't have this option on my android version 2310.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Smedley I'd be happy to help with any questions you have, but I will need additional information to do so.

Please check out @TannerPandora's message above and confirm with us your exact experience.

We'd like to clarify if audio is actually playing from your device and you can hear sound, or if you are only noticing that the notification player is opening (with no sound playing on your device).

The more details you're able to provide, the better equipped I'll be to help.

I look forward to hearing back.

0 Kudos

dc195
Underground

Perhaps this will help others in this confusing thread:

Settings > Smart Manage > Auto Start > turn off Pandora.

This fixed my problem and might fix others.

Dale

0 Kudos

dc195
Underground

Yes, I thought everybody knew this 😉

0 Kudos