cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Songs Start at Low Volume

maxal
Local Performer

For a past couple of months or so I have the following issue with playing songs from my phone Pandora android app:

Every new songs starts at low volume, but without visually affecting the volume level bar. That is, the system volume level bar remains at the same position, but actual audio volume becomes noticeably lower. Furthermore, changing volume with up/down buttons affects the volume but within the lower diapason. 

However, if I click 'Pause' and then 'Play' in the app the actual volume returns to the previously set-up level by itself (again without changing the system volume level bar). So, it looks like some kind of amplifier gets turned off with every new song and then it goes back on with clicking Pause/Play.

Because of this behavior I have to click Pause/Play at start of each new song. Please advise of what may be wrong. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @maxal. 👋

Thanks for posting about your experience. Are you connected to a Bluetooth device when happens?

Could you try clearing the app data to see if this helps resolve the volume issue. 

You can use these steps: Android Troubleshooting

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @maxal. 👋

Thanks for posting about your experience. Are you connected to a Bluetooth device when happens?

Could you try clearing the app data to see if this helps resolve the volume issue. 

You can use these steps: Android Troubleshooting

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

maxal
Local Performer

It happens with playing at both internal phone speakers and bluetooth speakers.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the follow up, @maxal

If you continue to have trouble after running through those steps, would you mind providing the requested details below? I can share this with our engineers for you. 

• Model of Phone:
  • Bluetooth Device Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number): 
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

I really appreciate your help with this. 🎧

0 Kudos

IrecaH
Underground

So, my songs on my Playlist have been playing more quieter compared to if it's not on my Playlist. And, Pandora, I've already read that you do not have a sound leveling program within Pandora itself. Yet, I, and obviously many other users, are experiencing the sound fading lighter while on the Playlist. 

Actually, it's not just the Playlist. I had it playing on a station while I was working (not with headphones but the phone's regular speakers) and in a middle of the song the music got lighter as if the volume was turned down. The phone was in the other room where i could see it sitting on a stool. No one else was in the room. 

So Pandora,  it appears that people have been having this issue SINCE 2019 (I think I also saw a 2017 post but I am unsure). It is either an IT issue with Pandora's programming, or the various devices that people have been complaining about. Either way, Pandora is a business with consumers that have repeatedly informed you that the issue has/is persisting.

Respectfully asking, what will be done about it?

Thank you, 

Ireca

mod edit: changed title for clarity

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @IrecaH. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. 

Volume with Songs: 

We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast.

As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing. 

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

Device Details: 

In the meantime, I can report your experience over to our engineering team from my end. When reporting issues, it's helpful to know:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):
  • Are you using any Bluetooth devices when you notice this?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this. 🎧

Nismo2005
Local Performer

It has To be something Pandora does I think they turn the volume down. When I listen to Amazon Music though Bluetooth speakers in my Garage I can play it so loud my neighbour across the Street can hear it in his backyard. When I use Pandora I have to turn it up all the way on my Samsung S21 just to hit maybe 40% of the volume Amazon has. Same Goes for listening through my Beats headphones at the Gym. 

Dmadison13
Local Performer

Pandora keeps turning the music down after playing for a few minutes, I keep having to stop and turn it back up. Why is it doing this?!?

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Dmadison13. 👋

Thanks so much for posting about your experience. 

Please check out my post about volume with songs here.

++

Does this happen when you're connected to a Bluetooth device, like a speaker?

In the meantime, I would recommend running through these steps to see if it helps: Android Troubleshooting

TenDERONi
Local Performer

Regardless if I am hooked up to Bluetooth speaker or just playing Pandora from my phone, occasionally it will play a new song at a very low level. I will have to pause the song and press play to make it full volume. 

It was error free for the most part when I had my Galaxy note 8. Not sure exactly when this issue started since I got my note 20 but it's irritating. 

Tried looking through the settings of my phone and through the app but cannot figure it out. Been subscribed to Pandora one for over a decade.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @TenDERONi. 👋

Thanks for your post, and sorry for any trouble you've experienced.

I would recommend running through these steps to see if it helps: Android Troubleshooting

0 Kudos

Jwilson630
Local Performer

Having the same issue. S21. Already completed above troubleshooting. What is the fix

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Jwilson630. 👋

Thanks for your recent post. I can share this information with our engineering team on your behalf.

It's helpful to know:

• Model of Phone: Samsung S21
  • Are you using a Bluetooth Device? Please include the make and model:
  • Carrier:

Let me know and I can pass this along. 🎧

0 Kudos