cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(RESOLVED) Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Srzvb
Local Performer

I finally gave up tonight and deleted App. Going to be a pain to switch but I’m tired of it turning on by itself, waking me up, and/or draining my battery. Done with it.  Junk app. 

Labels (1)
367 Replies

babytraytray
Opening Act

After they bombarded us with fake fixes after they casually implied it was our phones, our carriers, our phone settings. For example,  you probably have your phone set to do updates overnight which is why your phone turns on in the middle of the night. My phone isn't set up that way, yet it turns on in the middle of the night and the Pandora app runs constantly in my phone when powered on.

0 Kudos

4dmkbsmkr
Local Performer

My wife is having the same random issue! It has happened 3 times, that we know of while we're asleep.

Samsung s20 5g 

0 Kudos

Invder
Local Performer

This is my issue as well. Pixel 7a, around September 17th or so, I believe. The pixel, after restarting, locks most features on my phone until I enter my passcode pattern. Once I do this, Pandora starts playing music automatically, but doesn't show up in the list of apps that are running. Once I click on the app icon, it will come up and I can pause or close the app to stop the music.

So far I have not had issues with Pandora Auto starting or playing any other time, only after a phone restart.

Hopefully the Pandora team is able to resolve the issue soon. 😄

Woodshake
Local Performer

Pandora automatically comes on when I open lock my screen. I only want it coming home when I go on to the site and initiate it. So how do I stop it from coming on when I unlock my screen.?

0 Kudos

Uobrims
Underground

For me the ap launched automatically when I turned on my phone!  I am also done with Pandora. 

Someone needs to correct this immediately

Same her and I am using the same Galaxy 23. 

Someone needs to get on this ASAP!

I tried to uninstall and then install.  That did not work.  I am using a Samsung 23 and this is a real problem

My issue is this started this past week, where you're date was probably in the beginning of September.  WHY? 

Could this be due to an upgrade in software somewhere in the Galaxy or Pandora!

GET TO IS PANDORA!

Unfortunately for Pandora we cannot nor should we be patient. For any ap that has "sound" this could be an embarrassing or disturbing occurrence that could take place.  I can see the corporate spin on asking the public for being patient, but the problem it causes outweighs the benefit for being patient.  For example it woke my wife up at 5AM before she was ready and this made her tired for the entire day.  THIS IS EFFECTING PEOPLES LIVES and to ask for patrons to be patient an keep the service may not be in the best interest of the patron.

The only solution we have is to uninstall.  

Moderator Edit: Merged comments

Longhaultrucker
Underground

Hello,

Try, in the app, go to allow notifications.  I don't allow pop ups, then I switch it to silent on alerts. 

But at night, I turn off the "allow notifications " untill morning.  

Also, I've noticed that when you listen to pandora,  and what ever is the last song you were listening too, stays ready to restart,  supposedly at your command. When I turn my screen off, (goes black), then go to use the phone,  I see, above where you use the password/pattern/fingerprint,  what ever you use, the last song is there, ready to play.  I make sure I swipe that to the side, getting off my screen,  and so far, I haven't had a problem sence I made my post. 

I know it sounds like a hassle,  but until they figure this out, that's what I'm doing.  And it's really easy after you do it a couple times. 

I hope this helps you, let me know if it does

I also keep my volume at a minimum,  just in case. 

In app settings, in the "allow notifications: section, I never allow pop-ups. You can turn that off, and I always have it set on silent for notifications.  But at night, I turn off the "allow notifications ", untill morning.  On my S23, when I go to use my phone, the screen that first appears for your password to get in, the last song I was playing on pandora is there, ready to play. I swipe that to the side, getting ride of it. So far, sence my original post, I haven't had a problem. But, Every time I would open pandora,  I found that the last thing I was listening to, goes back on the password screen. Even if you don't play it. So when I turn off my screen,  I'll ck it to see if that song is ready to launch on my password screen,  and get rid of it. Hope this helps. Just incase, at night. I put my volumes at a minimum so I don't get the **ahem** scared out of me in the middle of the night.

Moderator Edit: Merged comments

0 Kudos

KyleW
Local Performer

Last week my Pandora started turning on by itself randomly throughout the day, and whenever I turn on my phone. It all started when I had to uninstall and reinstallthe app because it wouldn't let me search for new artists or songs. Since then I've reinstalled it several times but it continues to blast randomly throughout the day and it's become very disruptive so I've uninstall the app. Reached out to support several times but they don't have a solution.

0 Kudos

Mommy911
Local Performer

I am also having this problem removed app and it stopped, obviously, then installed again and it happened again. At times I'll close all open apps and it's still playing had to shut the phone off and restart only to have it playing again. 

I also lost the ability to open my Gmail account on my phone, at the same time this happened

Any fixes would be appreciated

0 Kudos

jfq
Local Performer

I recently posted this and it still works for me:

Samsung S 20 Ultra 5G, Android version 13, One UI version 5.1 I tried this ( In app, go to Settings>Advanced, uncheck "Enable Auto-Start".) and Pandora (version 2308.1) still launches with phone start up but does NOT play.

Still , don't need app active in background potentially draining battery.

The setting 'Enable Auto-Start' has not turned back on despite several reboots of the phone.

0 Kudos

Frustrated-Inc
Local Performer

I came here b/c my wife and I were woken up at 2:18 in the morning by my Pandora on my phone.  I don't know it might have happened before but I usually have all of my volumes turned all the way down.  But I do know there's no excuse for it.  With all the money gathered by all the ads and premium subscriptions this is freakin crazy.  If it happens again I'll find a new service. Promise.

0 Kudos

BrillFW836
Local Performer

Pandora Starts Playing Automatically on Android S21 Phone

Have been using Pandora without any issues for years. Then last week Pandora started playing whenever I start the phone, or enter my PIN, and even at random (sometimes embarrassing) times thereafter. I do not have Premium service, and will never upgrade unless this is fixed. I have read the other posts and viewed the YouTube channels suggested. Uninstalled and re-installed multiple times. None of the suggestions or "solutions" given work! My Profile/Settings/Advanced menu does NOT even show any Autoplay, Background, or Battery Options to turn off.

How do I make Pandora only play when I manually start it; and how do I make it not play, ever, until I manually turn it on again?

Almost ready to delete app for good -a lose/lose situation. This clearly has been a serious ongoing issue that the engineering staff needs to fix once and for all. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos

singdeep
Local Performer

Thank you for reporting this. I am on Android phone and was surprised that when I rebooted my phone that Pandora popped up and started playing.

0 Kudos

ColinodonoghueF
Local Performer

Same here. Ugh! 

0 Kudos

HokieDokie
Local Performer

Have not slept through the night for 6 weeks due to other personal reasons, and then to get woken up again from Pandora opening and starting to play.... painful.

Has auto started 5x this week. Uninstalling. 

0 Kudos

K1500Guy
Local Performer

Same problem with my S21, restart phone and *bam*.. pandora launches.

Stop wasting my battery, internet and phones resources. 

I've had you guys since the start, I'm well capable enough to launch the app on my own IF I want to listen to music. I dont need it shoved down my throat. 

Fix it or I'll find a better app to take my business to. Making me pay for that option is a good way to lose business.  

Kcdogman
Local Performer

ANDROID: SOLUTION TO PREVENT PANDORA AUTOMATIC PLAYING AFTER BEING CLOSED

I was able to stop Pandora from automatically playing but I'm not exactly sure which steps solved the problem. 

BACKGROUND INFO:

I do NOT have Pandora premium. My phone is Samsung A14 and I always turn it off at night while charging.  I think that something happened with the Pandora app and I probably uninstalled/reinstalled which probably caused the automate playing over the past 1 or 2 weeks every morning as soon as the phone is turned on.

TROUBLESHOOTING SOLUTION:

I'm not sure in what order I did the process steps OR if all of the steps are necessary but the automatic play has STOPPED (the Pandora notification is still present every morning at the top of my phone with Unknown Uknown but the app doesn't automatically play).

STEP-● CLEARED CACHE - on ALMOST every APP (go into Settings > APPS and literally clicked on ALMOST every APP one by one and click CLEAR CACHE).

WARNING: DO NOT CLEAR THE CACHE FOR APPS WHERE THE CONTENT IS ONLY STORED ON YOUR PHONE (like SAMSUNG NOTES and GALLERY because you will regret it).  My old phone had less memory so I kept getting error messages that memory was low.  Samsung suggested that I clear app caches after doing a "sort by size" basically clearing the cache on apps from largest to smallest.  I cleared the cache on my Samsung Notes which erased all my notes but Samsung was able to restore them (that experience really scared me).
NOTE:  If you're more techno savvy, you might know that you only need to clear the cache only on certain APPs (like the APPS Manager or any APPS that are associated with how apps function on your phone).
STEP-●Uninstall and reinstall Pandora

I don't remember if I did the unistall and reinstall of Pandora prior to or after the clearing the cache process but I do know that the automate play has STOPPED.  I really like Pandora, listen all day at work, and during my workout at the gym. It has been a reflief to not wake up to a song blasting on my phone after turning it on.   Praise the Lord and I hope that others are able to have success with this solution.

0 Kudos

Bu11
Underground

I put Pandora to deep sleep until they fix the bug. Since then, the app does not start on its own after restart in the background or randomly start.

1. Goto Settings then select Battery and Device Care
2. Select Battery then select Background Usage Limits
3. Select Deep Sleeping Apps
4. Select the + sign in the right corner to add what app you want to app
5. On the next screen select Pandora and/or any app you want to put to deep sleep.

Hopefully this will help..

Mystikalhaitian
Local Performer

I'm not a Pandira premium subscriber however, I would see it pop up on my screen playing a song. I've tried everything to stop it from doing this. I'm ready to just remove it and use other sources. I truly like it much more that Spotify which I get for free but this isn't working as it used to. This happened after updating the app. Any advice? 

0 Kudos

Achaussee
Local Performer

Any updates to this original post that was from 9/4? Looks like the last time a Pandora rep mentioned anything was 9/15, 10 days ago. My device is starting pandora automatically at random times during the day, typically right after I lock the device. It also starts Pandora everytime I turn my phone back on. 

I too will soon delete the app if it's not resolved soon, quite annoying. 

Thanks,

Concerned Android User

0 Kudos

LadySilence
Underground

The last update was on 9/21 and added as part of the "solution" to try to make it visible to everyone: they've got enough data to be able to replicate it reliably, which means now they're able to start working on a solution.

From the timing I think this bug was revealed with the latest Android security update, but that's my own speculation. We lowly customers may never get the official root cause

I am hoping that we'll get another update in the next couple days with an ETA for how long it'll take to build the necessary patch