cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switches to Offline Mode Instead of Cellular Data

m_c_zero
Underground

When I go outside of the range of my WiFi and my phone automatically switches over to cellular data my Pandora session drops out of the station I am listening to and puts me on my Offline station.

For example, I am in my car and start up Pandora and select my station.  It starts playing but as soon as I leave my driveway and start going down the road, Pandora switches to my Offline station.

This is quite annoying.  I don't know why it doesn't wait a second before the cell data connection is established.  It seems a bit quick to jump to Offline.

Galaxy A10e running Android v9.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @m_c_zero. 👋

Thanks so much for posting on the Pandora Community. :pandora:

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble streaming over cellular data. Let's go ahead and try some troubleshooting to see if we can fix that.

Please try the following steps from your Android mobile phone:

• Go to your Android Settings.
  • Tap on Network & Internet, then tap Data Usage off and back on.
  • Finally, confirm Mobile Data is toggled on.
  • If this setting is already toggled on, let's try turning it off and then, back on again.

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week:New Music: Picks of the Week (04.29.24)
0 Kudos

m_c_zero
Underground

I'm sorry but this advice is worthless.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@m_c_zero I’ve enabled a Pandora trace on your account to help us better understand what’s happening. For this trace to be useful, we’ll need you to run through our recommended troubleshooting steps to we ensure that we've exhausted all options. Resetting / refreshing the toggle could help.

Further troubleshooting includes running through the basic / advanced steps for your Android device here.

++

If you still experience this issue, please provide the following to report to engineering:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

m_c_zero
Underground

Hello.  I tried your troubleshooting step which seemed to work for a bit but this issue is still occurring.

I am on Android version 9 and my Pandora is version 2007.1.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@m_c_zero Thanks so much for the follow up. I appreciate you taking the time to try out those steps while the trace was enabled.

Pandora app version 2007.2 should also be available soon. Once that is fully released, I would recommend updating to see if resolves the issue you're experiencing.

In the meantime, I have shared your device details and experience with our engineering team.

0 Kudos

ace2056
Local Performer

Glad I found this post (was more difficult than I thought though I searched almost these exact terms) as I have had this problem for months and it's driving me crazy...honestly driving me away from Pandora.

I have an Android phone with the Pandora app on it. The app is not programmed correctly to wait try to get a mobile data/cell network connection before just automatically switching to offline mode. It's ridiculous.

Same issue here. I leave my house and lose my home wifi signal. Every other app realizes this and waits and resubmits a connection request via the mobile data connection. Not Pandora. I was listening to one station and now it's decided I'm offline that's that, switched to an offline station, and that's what I get now, even though by the time I hear the first offline song my phone has connected to a cell network.

I've tried those steps and my app has all the permissions it could ask for, including mobile data.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ace2056 Thanks for sharing your experience on the Community.

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through these troubleshooting steps once more.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you continue to run into issues with this, I'd like to report your feedback to our engineering team.

Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

ace2056
Local Performer

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active (yeah, it's old but this model is practically indestructible)

Carrier: AT&T

Android: 7.0

Build: NRD90M.G890AUCS6DQG1

Security: July 1, 2017

Pandora version: 2010.1 (Android Tuner 20101015) - that looks old but Google Play says it last updated the app Oct 26, 2020

I have identified that if I'm actively listening to music while the transition happens, the app stays on the current station. However, this is actually rare as I'm usually listening through a bluetooth speaker at home. When I hit off on the speaker or pause on the app and then switch from wifi to cell data (leave my home) and then plug into my car and open the app (it's usually not the active app) it sometimes loads an offline station.

I have also identified (by simply turning on/off wifi) that if I play an online station, close the app, switch from wifi to cell data or vice versa, and then open the app, it will not open the online station but rather an offline station, even if I have made sure the switch from/to wifi/cell data is complete.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ace2056 Thanks for following up.

I have passed your feedback along to our engineers so they can further investigate.

Thanks for all your patience in the meantime! 

0 Kudos

rmccabe916
Local Performer

Have you heard anymore about a resolution to this issue? I have a Galaxy S20 5G on the latest version of Pandora. Latest version of Android.

I currently mannualy switch between wifi and cellular when needed, but it has become a pain if I forget. This is before opening the app, or I have to force close. I have started to look for alternative streaming services since this problem has not been resolved. ☹️

0 Kudos

michelechicago
Local Performer

I use  Pandora plus ( hated Premium) constantly in my car, im sick of its connectivity issues  as well as it continues to te open itself after I shut it down.  I've used Pandora for  3 years with an LG smartphone never had an issue..im  using a Samsung now. 

0 Kudos