cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logitech Announces End of Pandora Support Feb 2024

intermod
Underground

...even when using your own local Logitech Music Server (LMS). Apparently the LMS authenticates your Pandora account through their servers. I am hoping that the LMS developers build in come capability to let it connect directly with Pandora. I have seven music devices that are synced in the home through the LMS...so this is a major loss.

I may have to switch to Spotify as there is an Add-In/Extension for the LMS that allows it to work just fine.

Logitech Announcement: http://tinyurl.com/398ctvku

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
25 Replies

JimPhD
Local Performer

It would certainly be kind, and in Pandora's interest, to assist the developers of the Logitech Music Server (LMS) software to include Pandora authentication. LMS has a BIG and faithful audience, and Pandora seems to be interested in being widely available. Longtime user of both Pandora (paid!) and LMS.

intermod
Underground

I wonder if pandora has visibility ibnto the number of their customers affected by this and whether it is significant.  LMS development seems active and ongoing.     

mhguy
Underground

Users of Logitech’s wonderful family of Squeezebox (SB) streaming devices are shocked and disappointed to learn that Logitech is terminating support of its mysqueezebox.com service imminently.  Since the SB relies on access to mysqueezebox.com to access Pandora, we will no longer be able to listen to Pandora via our devices.  Logitech discontinued selling Squeezeboxes many years ago but left the mysqueezebox servers up…until now.  I will suffer serious withdrawal symptoms!  So what other high quality streaming devices are out there that support Pandora?  I need something that will output line-level digital or analog for input to an audio amplifier…no smartphones, tablets, and I don’t like Sonos.

mhguy
Underground

Yes, the ongoing user community support for Logitech Media Server has been incredible over the years since Logitech discontinued the hardware.  The LMS code itself is subject to ongoing development and improvement by LMS enthusiasts, but the truly amazing focus has been in plug-in development.  Over the years plug-ins have extended functionality far beyond what Logitech ever imagined.  We have plug-ins enabling access to Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, BBC radio and others, plus we have plug-ins adding all sorts of functionality like ability to control DLNA and UPnP devices in addition to Squeezeboxes.  There is a beautifully functional UI called Material Skin that runs on laptops and smartphones that replaced the dated original LMS interface.  It’s a real shame I will no longer be able to have Pandora integrated into this ecosystem.  I likely will end up cancelling my Pandora Plus subscription I’ve had since 2006 and hope that Tidal (at three or four times the cost) can provide similar “music genome” functionality.  Well, at least Tidal will give me 24 bit/192KHz streams…much better than Pandora’s compressed 192kbps or whatever it is.  I always tolerated Pandora’s low bit rate because of its functionality, but I guess I no longer have that choice.

chamonix6
Local Performer

I have been a loyal Pandora subscriber since I purchased my first Logitech Squeezebox music streaming device in 2006.

Pandora was the first and best streaming Ap I used, and over time it became my primary channel to listen to new and old music. I liked the way I could choose a music station, say Pat Metheny, and then various , similar artists were introduced to me over these Pandora channels.

But now, the Logitech servers for my Squeezeboxes are going to be shut down, and in order to continue to enjoy my 4 Squeezebox streaming devices I have to configure a local server, using software called LMS or Logitech Media Server.  Unfortunately Pandora, my long time account, cannot stream music to LMS at present. Other services  like Spotify can.

Hope your engineers at Pandora can resolve this issue.

chamonix6
Local Performer

I should add, that every month I am billed for my Pandora account. A paid subscription to Pandora, that will end when the Logitech servers are finally shutdown.

bobharp
Local Performer

Pandora - please allow or assist with creating a plug in for the local LMS (logitech media server) to authenticate. 

Like others, the only reason I've kept my Pandora subscription is because LMS and my Squeezebox(s).

therez
Local Performer

Unfortunately +1 here.

Will need to cancel Pandora and move to Spotify unless Pandora can help with authentication without mysqueezbox.com. Have been using and paying for Pandora since they started.

0 Kudos

Pedr01
Local Performer

Pandora please help us to develop the plugin for LMS to authenticate our accounts. I have been user of your service for very long time. 

Thank you 

Fred2003
Local Performer

I have been a Pandora and LMS user for more than 15 years...I don't want to end my Pandora account but I may have to if there is not an answer. Please develop a good working platform to use with LMS. 

Thank You.

kirk57
Local Performer

Another Pandora via Squeezebox (2 Touches and a Duet) for many years now;  very disappointed to hear this. I would prefer to keep using Pandora but I may have to switch to another streaming service if there is no workaround.

Pandora stands to lose a fair amount of money because of this, as I'm sure they are aware..

0 Kudos

intermod
Underground

How is Spotify working on the LMS?  I have not yet tried it.    

0 Kudos

RichardDavies
Local Performer

+1 I listen to Pandora daily on my Squeezeboxes and I'm really hoping an alternative solution is found.

0 Kudos

mhguy
Underground
I caved in and bought a WiiM streaming box.  The WiiMs don't depend on the mysqueezebox server for Pandora account authentication, so I have Pandora back.  I plug it into a spare input on my preamp.  But I can't use Logitech Media Server (which drives all my Squeezeboxes throughout the house) to control it. I instead have to use the WiiM app on my smartphone, which is serviceable but nowhere as versatile or refined as Material Skin on LMS.  At least I have Pandora again, at the cost of inconvenience.  I do have to admit the DAC in the WiiM sounds noticeably better than the one in the SB, which probably very good for its time 20 years ago, but the state of the art does move on.
0 Kudos

kirk57
Local Performer

My guess is that they do, and it's not that many affected, given the age of Squeezebox devices.

0 Kudos

kirk57
Local Performer

Just bought WiiM Pro. I guess it's time to move on.

I will miss using the Touch, though

0 Kudos

burlingtonbill1
Underground

I am certainly NOT very tech-savvy, but my "workaround" will be to buy an inexpensive tablet and use it to "find" my Pandora account, then use the tablet's Line Out to connect to my Squeezebox Boom's Line In. I would miss the superb audio quality for my small office room if I had to build a completely new playback system!

0 Kudos

OR-7
Local Performer

Hmm.  Seems like there's no response from Pandora to this thread.  Are they watching?  Do they care about losing thousands of paying subscribers (like me)?  I have three Logitech Squeezebox/Duets that will die in a few days.  Yes, I will still be able to access my iTunes library on my own media server, but Pandora will azpparently not be usable that way.  Pandora better fix this.

0 Kudos

Pedr01
Local Performer

Ok, Pandora is disconnected from Logitech now, so what is or will be the approach here we need to take? 

There are not enough users I guess for Pandora care much to create the plugin for Logitech community. 

That is certainly bummer.