cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird And True Facts.

I will try and post one weird but true fact each weekday. Perhaps on a Saturday when I have some free time, like now. 

In 2014, a missing woman on a vacation in Iceland was found when it was discovered that she was in the search party looking for herself. (Source is from bu.edu website)

Apparently she never considered herself lost. 

Have a blessed weekend, take care and GOD bless. 

MOHLovesAlaska
155 Replies

Good Wednesday morning...Welcome to weird but true facts...Here is one about Yellowstone National Park...

Initially, the U.S. Army was stationed at Yellowstone.

In 1882, avowed nature lover and Civil War hero General Philip Sheridan led an expedition that took him to Yellowstone. While Sheridan was duly impressed with the park’s aesthetic wonder, he was aghast at the presence of monopolist organizations running amok throughout the territory at the expense of the land. After Congress stripped away funding for Yellowstone, he dispatched Captain Moses Harris, a Union soldier who had served under Sheridan and shared his ecological ideologies, to lead troops to Yellowstone, protecting it against commercial poaching, the spread of wildfire, and disorders of all kinds. The armed forces stood guard over the park until 1918  when the establishment of the National Park Service usurped the military’s involvement with Yellowstone. The rangers who took the soldiers’ positions were known as “spread eagle men.” (Source comes from 15 Facts You Might Not Know About Yellowstone National Park | Mental Floss)

Have a great Wednesday...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska
Tags (1)

Tonskilee
Local Performer

lol good one

Good Thursday morning, welcome to Weird but True Facts... I'm going to add something weird but true for each state, perhaps a couple from each state I will not be going in alphabetical order I will be starting with my home state N.Y... bigstock-New-York-State-Flag-72632626.jpg

i-want-you-for-the-us-army-enlist-now-uncle-sam-world-war-2-ww2-recruitment-poster-1941-1945-2FK00R1.jpg Uncle Sam was a real person who lived and died in Troy. Sam Wilson was a meatpacker from Troy. During the War of 1812, he stamped "U.S. Beef" on his products; soldiers joked that the U.S. stood for Uncle Sam and soon this mythical character based on a real person was an icon. Sam Wilson is buried in Troy's famous Oakwood Cemetery and is still a local celebrity more than 200 years later. (Troy is just across the Hudson River from Albany N.Y. the capital of N.Y. and my birthplace). 

Have a great Thursday...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska. Hope you have a wonderful Thursday! ☀️

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 

Good Monday afternoon dear friend...Welcome to another weird but true fact...This is another weird but true fact about N.Y. It is more about New York City by itself and not the State as a whole...

Busy, buzzing, and bustling. Cozy, crazy, and cosmopolitan. Exciting, energetic, and enthralling. All of these are in New York City. But did you know it was the first capital of the United States? Or that locals speak more than 800 languages? Or even more peculiar – that walking around topless is not illegal? (Source comes from 55 Fun and Interesting Facts About New York • 33 Travel Tips

Tomorrow I will move on to another weird and true fact about another State...But if you are at all interested in more facts about N.Y. or N.Y.C. then just leave a reply and I will be happy to post it...

Have a great day friend...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska I've never been to New York but it is definitely on my bucket list! 

Good Wednesday afternoon friend, welcome to weird and true facts...Today we will see what is weird and true about the biggest State in our country...Alaska.jpg

Weird Facts About Alaska There is no state sales tax in Alaska The official state fish of Alaska is the giant king salmon Alaska has more coastline than the rest of the US combined Alaska has the midnight sun, which means 24 hours of daylight The Chugach National Forest in Alaska is the size of New Hampshire. And here are the top 6 facts that I found about Alaska...

1. The name Alaska means “mainland” or “great land”. Indeed because the state has a great variety of characteristics and immense area.

2. Alaska was discovered in 1741 when the Danish explorer Vitus Jonassen Bering spotted it on a trip from Siberia. After that, hunters from Russia started traveling there.

3. Russian fur traders and whalers were the first to establish a permanent settlement on Kodiak Island in 1784. The settlement was at Three Saints Bay.

4. Did you know that the United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for just 7.2 million dollars? That’s 2 cents per acre.

5. Many people in the US didn’t want the country to buy  Alaska from the Russians. Oppositions and critics called the deal signed by William Seward the ‘Seward’s Folly.’ 

6. In 1971, the Alaskan Native Claims Settlement was signed by Richard Nixon. Native gave up their claim, and the settlement was divided among village, urban, and regional corporations. (Source comes from 83 Interesting Facts About Alaska - The Fact File).

Have a great evening...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow - those are some very interesting facts about Alaska. I have no idea it was purchased. Thanks for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska. I'm loving the random facts about different states!

@AlyssaPandora Good day to you friend, thank you for your interest and great support as always...

I am also liking the weird and true facts about the states in our Nation...I just recently found out about the United States purchasing Alaska from Russia... I found out by watching my favorite T.V. show Alaska The Last Frontier...Ironically, the show features Jewel's family the Kilchers and as you know Jewel is also my favorite music artist...Well, thank you once again, my dear friend...I will be posting a little bit later today about some weird and true facts about the state of Washington so tune in if you can friend...

Have a blessed day...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Good Thursday afternoon friend, welcome to weird and true facts...Today we will learn what weird and true facts are about the state of Washington...washington-state-waving-flag-and-flagpole-bigalbaloo-stock.jpg

1). Washinton State is the only state named after a President. While it certainly isn’t any surprise that Washington State derives its name from a president, what is a surprise is how unique that is. One of the more interesting facts about Washington State is that, according to Britannica Encyclopedia, Washington State is the only state named after a U.S. president. And that president? None other than the US’ very first – George Washington.

2).  Boeing camouflaged a secret bomber-maker during World War II by building a fake neighborhood. War makes people do crazy things. And, as this bizarre piece of Washington state trivia will illustrate, no one is exempt from that influence! The Seattle Times details the history of Boeing in during World War II. While Washington does have an extensive connection to the war, this easily takes the cake! During the war, in the heart of an industrial area, any aircraft flying over would have seen what appeared to be a nondescript town.… But this neighborhood was actually “camouflage” for Boeing’s Plant No., which generated thousands of B-17 bombers. The Townsquare fake-out was simply a protective measure. Competed in 1944, it was eventually torn down after the war. However, images still abound of this peculiar little neighborhood more fit for Hobbits than it was for people. The lawns and trees were constructed out of chicken feathers and spun glass with a ground fashioned out of burlap, canvas, and chicken wire. This sprawling “neighborhood” covered 26 acres the buildings were 4 feet tall and wooden.

3).  The world’s first gas station was opened in Seattle, Washington. Full disclosure: the claim to the first gas station is hotly disputed. There are plenty of states and cities that boast the first-ever gas station.  However, as History Link reveals, there is reason to give Seattle, Washington credence in the distinction of being home to the first gas station in the world. Built in 1907 by John McLean, the world’s first gasoline service station was situated at Holgate Street and Western Avenue in Seattle. As head of sales for Standard Oil Company of California in Washington, he bought the property by the Standard main depot and with the help of engineer Henry Harris, built a pipe from the main storage tank to a 30-gallon, six-foot-tall galvanized tank. A valve built into the tank and a hose attachment enabled them to dispense gas. However, people bought gas a little differently back then because gas was sold in wooden boxes. Yay for fire hazards!

4). In Wilbur, Washington, it’s illegal to ride an ugly horse. There is an abundance of strange laws in virtually every state and city that, in many ways, add some character and color to their respective histories. One of my favorite Missouri fun facts for instance is that they do not tolerate ‘worrying squirrels’. Similarly, a great California fun fact is they had an anti-ugly law in San Francisco. Well, Wilbur, Washington is also home to a wonderful animal/ugliness law. According to Equine Wellness Magazine in Wilber, it’s illegal to ride an ‘ugly’ horse. The penalty? A hefty $300 fine! It’s unclear how they determined a horse’s ugliness, however, but that kind of seems like semantics at this point. 

The State of Washington also is the largest Apple producing State in the Country...(Source comes from 20+ Interesting & Fun Facts About Washington State (That Most Visitors Don't Know!) (happytowander.c...

Have a blessed day...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lol, these are great @MOHLovesAlaska. I can't get over the ugly horse law!

Good Friday afternoon...Welcome to another weird and true fact...Today I will be adding some weird and true facts about the state of Hawaii... hawaii-flag-with-clipping-path.jpg

1). Hawaii was annexed by the US at the end of the 19th centuryIn 1898, the United States, under President William McKinley, officially annexed Hawaii during the Spanish-American War as a way to expand the country. Over 60 years later, in 1959, Hawaii became a US state.

2). Pearl Harbor was a significant site during World War II . Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7th, 1941by Japan, which was fighting against the US and the Allied powers. Today, Pearl Harbor is an active military base and a memorial for those who died in the attack. The Oahu landmark is also the most visited site on the island.

3). Hawaii has a black sand beach called Waianapanapa Beach. Located in Hana, this Maui landmark gets its black sand color from the volcanoes in the area, which erupt and change the geography of the surrounding area. The beach is hidden, surrounded by rocky coastlines, and adjacent to the bright blue water.

4). Hawaii is one of the only states in the US that grow coffee commercially. Coffee is the second biggest crop in Hawaii, and there are more than 10,000 acres where it is grown. Hawaii grows just over one hundred million dollars worth of unroasted coffee each year. But the value increases by nearly 50% when the coffee is roasted.

5). Hawaii's flag is a combination of two country's flags. Interestingly, Hawaii's state flag features the flags of two countries. In the upper lefthand corner of Hawaii's flag is the United Kingdom's flag. The rest of the flag is a variation on the United States flag with stripes. There are eight white, red, and blue stripes, each representing one of Hawaii's main islands.

6). Hawaii is made up of volcanic islands. There is a tectonic plate under the islands, whose activity created the islands. The hot spot causes volcanoes to erupt. They erupt in the pattern of the tectonic plate, which is why they are in a line. When the lava from the volcanos dries, it creates land. The land builds up over time, which makes the islands.

7). The official state gem is black coral. The state gem of black coral is called a polyp, and it is a living creature. Even though they are called black coral, they come in many colors. The coral is an Endangered Species since it is often harvested. It is difficult to gather as it grows deep in the sea, usually between 300 and 3,000 feet below sea level.

8). Billboards are not allowed in Hawaii. Hawaii's government does not allow billboards or other signs for advertising in the state. There are some exceptions, like public announcements, the sale of land and buildings, or other government notices. One of the main reasons for the outlawing of billboards is to protect Hawaii's natural beauty.

9). Snakes are illegal in Hawaii. Snakes are not native to the state, and they do not have any predators in Hawaii to keep them from overpopulation. Furthermore, they take over the food and habitats of the animals native to Hawaii, which endangers them. Most snakes are banned on the islands, and if any are found, they are under the strict watch of the government.

10). There are two official languages in Hawaii. The two official languages of Hawaii are Hawaiian and English. It is the only state to have two official languages. Even though both languages are used in most government settings, there are some official situations in which Hawaiian is used over English. Some laws require Hawaiian to be used for some public acts and transactions. (Side note. Hawaii officially became a State in 1959). (Source comes from 50 Interesting & Fun Facts About Hawaii State to Know (Updated in 2023) (destguides.com)

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday afternoon, welcome to weird and true facts...Today we will learn some weird and true facts about the State of California... california-state-flag.jpg

1). How did California get its name?? California is named after a mythical island from Garci Rodríguez de Montalvo’s best-selling novel Las Sergas de Esplandián (The Deeds of Esplandián).

2).  San Jose was California’s first state capital, followed by Vallejo and Benicia (respectively) before Sacramento was named the permanent capital in 1879.

3). California was an independent country—known as the independent California Republic—for one month in 1846.

4). The grizzly bear on California’s state flag is based on one captured by media mogul William Randolph Hearst, whom he named Monarch.

5).  General Sherman, the largest tree in the world (by volume), resides in Sequoia National Park. It’s estimated to be around 2,700 years old and measures 102 feet around the base and stands at 278 ft. 

6). Mount Diablo’s View: According to the California Department of Parks and Recreation, Mount Diablo State Park in the Bay Area offers the best view in the country. On clear days, you can see 40 of the state’s 58 counties, covering over 8,500 square miles of California.

7). The Hollywood Sign’s Original Purpose: The iconic Hollywood Sign was originally erected in 1923 as an advertisement for a real estate development called “Hollywoodland.” The sign was meant to promote the upscale neighborhood and attract potential buyers to the area. Over time, it became synonymous with the entertainment industry and the glamour of Hollywood itself. The “land” portion was eventually removed, leaving us with the famous Hollywood Sign we know today! 

8). Golden Gate Bridge: Few structures are as emblematic of California as the Golden Gate Bridge. Completed in 1937, this 2-mile suspension bridge connects San Francisco to Marin County. Its vibrant International Orange hue stands out against the backdrop of the bay, and it’s continuously maintained to withstand the salty air’s impact. The bridge is California Historical Landmark No. 974 

9). Yosemite Valley: A natural wonder that has inspired artists and adventurers alike, Yosemite Valley is home to granite monoliths like Half Dome and El Capitan. Waterfalls cascade down to join the Merced River, creating a breathtaking landscape. It’s a place where the likes of John Muir and Ansel Adams found inspiration. If you visit, consider exploring some of the 16 Easy Hikes in Yosemite.

10). Hollywood Walk of Fame: Over 10 million tourists annually flock to the Hollywood Walk of Fame to spot the stars honoring their favorite actors and musicians. With over 2,500 stars spread across 15 blocks of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street, it’s a must-see for pop culture enthusiasts. Star maps are available, but sometimes wandering and stumbling upon your favorites is even more fun!  

11). Santa Monica Pier: Thanks to its appearances in television and movies, the Santa Monica Pier is instantly recognizable. Whether you’re riding the Ferris wheel, strolling along the boardwalk, or enjoying the ocean views, this iconic landmark captures the essence of California’s coastal charm.

12). And last of all "Shake Rattle and Roll".  Certainly! California is no stranger to seismic activity, and its history is marked by significant earthquakes. Here are some notable facts about earthquakes in California: Recent Earthquakes: In the past 24 hours, California has experienced 20 earthquakes with a magnitude of 1.5 or greater. Over the last week (7 days), there have been 153 earthquakes in the state. Zooming out to the past month (30 days), California recorded a total of 566 earthquakes. And over the past year, a staggering 7,317 earthquakes have occurred within its borders1. Largest Recent Earthquakes: Today: The largest earthquake today was a 2.5 magnitude tremor in Home Garden, California. This week: A 4.3 magnitude quake struck Bodfish, California. This month: The most significant event was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake near Port Orford, Oregon (not in California, but still noteworthy). This year: A 5.6 magnitude quake occurred in Ferndale, California.  Recent Quakes Near California: 52 minutes ago: A 2.0 magnitude quake at a depth of 7 km near Seeley, California. 2 hours ago: A 1.8 magnitude quake at a depth of 11 km near Anza, California. 3 hours ago: A 2.1 magnitude quake at a depth of 4 km near Borrego Springs, California. And more—these are just a few examples of recent seismic activity. Historical Earthquakes: California has witnessed several major historical earthquakes, including the devastating 1906 San Francisco earthquake and the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. The San Andreas Fault runs through California, making it a hotspot for tectonic activity. (Source comes from   https://www.bing.com/search?q=weird+and+true+facts+about+California&form)                                                                                                                                

Have a great Monday...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday afternoon...Today we are going coast to coast...The last time we looked into some weird and true facts about California...Now we are going to read about some exciting things about Main...

R.png 

1). Lobster Capital: Maine is most famous for its lobster. Whether you like it steamed, baked, or in a bun, Maine lobster is something that everyone should sample at least once. The state’s lobster yield is a whopping 40 million pounds annually, accounting for nearly 90 percent of the nation’s lobster supply. With about 4,500 active lobstermen, lobster fishing is vital to Maine’s economy. You’ll find lobster on the menu of almost every restaurant in the state, from classic lobster rolls to inventive dishes like lobster mac and cheese and lobster bennies.  

2). Coastline Galore: Maine boasts an impressive 3,478 miles of coastline, making it the fourth state with the most coastline in the country. Only Florida and Louisiana have more miles of coastline in the continental United States. Additionally, Maine has over 4,600 offshore islands, with approximately 15 having a year-round population. Vinalhaven, located about 12 miles off the coast near Rockland in Penobscot Bay, is the most populous island, home to 1,269 residents. 

3). Certainly! Maine’s rugged coastline is adorned with picturesque lighthouses that have stood as beacons for seafarers and visitors alike. Here are some fascinating facts about Maine’s lighthouses: Portland Head LightLocated in Cape Elizabeth, the Portland Head Light is the oldest lighthouse in Maine. It stands majestically overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Adjacent to the 90-acre Fort Williams Park, this lighthouse offers stunning ocean views, walking trails, and gardens. The former keeper’s house now houses The Museum at Portland Head Light. R.jpg

2). Spring Point Ledge LighthouseOnly two miles north of Portland Head, the Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse stands atop a 900-foot granite breakwater. You can enjoy panoramic views of the entire Portland skyline across the waves from here.  wpid17794-Spring-Point-Ledge-Lighthouse-Purple-Sunrise-South-Portland-Maine.jpg

3). Cape Elizabeth Light (Two Lights)Also known as “Two Lights”, Cape Elizabeth Light has two towers. The eastern tower is still active, while the western tower stands tall and proud. Although the western tower is not publicly accessible, it remains an iconic sight along the coast. cape-elizabeth-light.jpg

4). Portland Breakwater Lighthouse (Bug Light)Affectionately called “Bug Light”, this diminutive lighthouse is as cute as its nickname suggests. Despite its small size, Bug Light played a significant role in protecting Portland Harbor since its construction in 1875. portland-breakwater-lighthouse-scott-thorp.jpg

Maine boasts a total of 65 lighthouses, each with its unique charm and history. Many of these lighthouses are open to the public, and some even allow access to the keeper’s quarters. Whether you explore them by water or from the comfort of your car, these coastal sentinels offer a glimpse into the maritime legacy of Maine. Don’t miss the annual Maine Open Lighthouse Day in early September, where you can visit over twenty historic lighthouses that are usually accessible only on this special occasion. So, if you’re drawn to rugged coastlines, crashing waves, and historic beacons, Maine’s lighthouses await your discovery! 

4). Moose Abound: Maine is home to more moose than any other state except Alaska. With over 76,000 of these majestic creatures, you’ll often see signs along roads warning you to watch out for moose. There’s a sign in Aroostook that reads, “High rate of moose crashes next 6 miles.” So, believe the signs and keep an eye out for these impressive animals while exploring Maine’s wilderness. Next time you’re planning a vacation, consider visiting the beautiful Pine Tree State and experiencing these intriguing facts firsthand! 

5). Naval History: Maine’s coastline is dotted with deep harbors, so much so that it could provide anchorage for all the naval fleets in the world. This historical context explains why Maine has numerous ports that can be enjoyed today by taking boat tours along the coastline, viewing lighthouses, and visiting islands. Interestingly, the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War was fought off Machias, Maine in 1775. The locals, armed with homemade weapons and pitchforks, engaged the British ship HMS Margaretta after the British were refused wood to build barracks for occupying Boston. (Source comes from Copilot with GPT-4 (bing.com)). 

Have a great Wednesday...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Thanks for the facts this week!

I used to live in San Jose, CA and I never knew it was the state's first capitol! 🤯

Also, the views from the lighthouses in Maine sound amazing - I definitely want to visit one day. 🌊

@AdamPandora Thank you for your support as always...I would also love to visit Main as well...I'm only a four-hour drive and I have yet to see it...

Have a great day...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska