Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Picks: October 2023

EricPandora
Pandora
Pandora

Pandora Picks October 2023.png

October is the month when we start to notice that the sky gets darker earlier than usual. Sometimes it’s hard to find your way in the darkness. But music can always be a guiding light. Fittingly, our favorite songs of October 2023 find us striking a balance between dark and light. All the autumnal feels are here. But listen close and you’ll also hear some radiant levity resonating from our Pandora Picks.

1 Chuck Berry.jpeg

Chuck Berry – “Trick Or Treat

I’m such a sucker for old songs that incorporate the spirit of Halloween – think “I Put a Spell on You” by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, “Rockin’ in The Graveyard” by Jackie Morningstar, “My Man’s an Undertaker” by Dinah Washington, and countless others! As I continue to expand my playlist of obscure vintage Halloween songs, one of my favorite discoveries this year is by none other than the father of rock ‘n’ roll, Chuck Berry. Released in 1958, “Trick or Treat” could easily stand alongside some of his most notable rock ‘n’ roll anthems with its ultra-catchy melody, lively rhythm, and innocent lyrics that capture the timelessness of childhood fun during the Halloween season. And in case you were wondering, that’s his sister Martha Berry on backing vocals! 

@MichellePandora :pandora:

_1080W_1080H.jpg 

Three Quarter Skies – “Opener

Simon Scott may be best known as Slowdive’s lead drummer, but he’s also paid dues in the Charlottes and Lowgold as well as with a few other projects. His latest one Three Quarter Skies just dropped Universal Flames, a gorgeous debut EP on celebrated shoegaze/dreampop label Sonic Cathedral. The seven songs here comprise elements of shoegaze, krautrock, post-rock, post-punk, and ambient psychedelia. Simply titled “Opener,” the first song sets a gossamer tone with elongated trails of electric guitar reverb and delay that timidly dance with sparse synth notes and ethereal drones, slowly and gradually washing over the song like ocean waves unfolding in slow motion. Dottie from the band deary lends ghostlike vocals, recalling moments from Louise Trehy of the early 1990s 4AD band Swallow.

@EricPandora :pandora:

3 serpentwithfeet.jpeg 

serpentwithfeet – “**ahem** Gloves (feat. Ty Dolla $ign & Yanga YaYa)

Getting into the Halloween theme, I chose a track this month mostly for its weirdness and creepiness. It's a track called “**ahem** Gloves” by serpentwithfeet, featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Yanga YaYa. It's basically a dirty dance club track but featuring some R&B and African artists (very creepy artwork as well). So, if you feel like getting really weird and a little freaky, check out called “**ahem** Gloves” by serpentwithfeet.

- Lisa :pandora:

4 Christoph de Babalon.jpeg

Christoph de Babalon – “Demon Glue

My pick for this month's Pandora Picks is Christoph de Babalon. De Babalon was one of the key players in the digital hardcore scene along with Alec Empire, SHIZUO, and others. His record, If You’re Into It, I’m Out Of It sort of defined the whole era for me - just suffocating dark ambience with processed amen breaks. His latest is called Vale and very little has changed. I picked the song “Demon Glue,” which starts out with long stretches of rumble and shimmer, and eventually that cyclical, slowed-down, jungle beat comes in. De Babalon's formula, first cooked up in the nineties, still sounds as good as ever.
- @AndeePandora :pandora:

5 The Seshen.jpeg

The Seshen – “Hold Me

My pick for October comes from one of my absolute favorite Bay Area bands, the Seshen. This track is called “Hold Me.” It’s the single and everything that the Seshen does just puts me in this world - they just make a cool world to step right into and I love Lalin St. Juste’s voice. She's so magical and ethereal and sometimes it’s like she's from another planet. I just love her. So, enjoy “Hold Me.”

@JamiePandora :pandora:

6 The Slambovian Circus of Dreams.jpeg

The Slambovian Circus of Dreams – “Very Happy Now
I've been having fun discovering this band called the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. Now, one of the things that I love about them is that they are called the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. But I also really love their cover artwork and I haven't dug too deep into their rather large catalog. So more to come on that. But right now, the song I want to share is “Very Happy Now,” and it's just so pop and so fun and nicely arranged and I can't tell if the lyrics have a deep underlying sarcasm or if they are meant literally. And that's part of the beauty of the song to me. What do you think?

- Din :pandora:

7 Lync.jpeg

Lync – “Cue Cards

The Lync album, These Are Not Fall Colors came out – what, 30 years ago almost? Now reissued by Suicide Squeeze. It's a great band from Pacific Northwest. Lots of connects to the Modest Mouse world. Great live band. I got to see them one time and I was even in a link cover band. This is a long-awaited reissue originally on K Records.

- George :pandora:

8 Meat Puppets.jpeg

Meat Puppets – “Swimming Ground

My pick for October is Meat Puppets and the song is called “Swimming Ground.” For some reason I find myself going back to the Meat Puppets a lot lately and I really enjoy this era of them from the 80s. They were just such an original band and sounded like no one else coming out of the punk scene. And this song has just been in my head constantly throughout October.

- @DanPandora  :pandora:

9 Nisennenmondai .jpeg

Nisennenmondai – “A

Nisennenmondai should have been huge. But maybe because a lot of their music sounds best when listened to alone in a dark room… maybe that had something to do with it. Here's 14 minutes of a track called “A.” Listen to it. Alone. In your room. In October. On Pandora.

- Chris D. :pandora:

10  King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard.jpeg

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – “The Silver Cord

My pick for this month is “The Silver Cord” by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard off their new album by the same name. And as usual with King Gizzard, it's a different direction musically. This song kind of reminds me of a ‘90s video game, crossed with an ‘80s movie soundtrack…maybe. I hope you really like it. I do.

- Noel :pandora:

11 The Specials.jpeg

The Specials – “Ghost Town

For my October Pandora Pick, I have chosen “Ghost Town” by the Specials as a special Halloween treat. I recently got to see a tribute to Terry Hall from the Specials and they played this song. Hope you enjoy it!

- John D. :pandora: