cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web: Disable Autoplay Notification Popup

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

I apologize if this is in the wrong section and needs moved. I get a popup notification every time I reload my Pandora on my computer tab that auto-play is disabled. I know it is - I've had issues with it giving me errors in the past and don't want it on. But this popup continues to come up every time i reload a page without logging out, and I can't do anything without interacting with it. Which means I'm confirming this sometimes multiple times a day.

If I tell it "show me how" then don't actually enable auto play, will it leave me alone?

This is happening on multiple different Windows platforms accessed via internet browser. I do not have the Pandora app and cannot use it.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (3)
15 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @caldella. 👋

For Chrome:

It sounds like you might be encountering Chrome's autoplay policy, which keeps websites from starting media automatically in Chrome.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to fix that from my end. You'll need to manually click on the play button in order to initiate playback on Pandora, at least at first. Over time, Chrome should learn your preference.

++

For Firefox:

If your music is not starting automatically in Firefox, first determine your default autoplay settings for all websites.

To do that:

1. Click the menu icon and select Preferences.
  2. From the Privacy & Security tab, scroll down to the Permissions section.
  3. Find Autoplay and select Settings... to view your default option.

If your default is set to Block Audio or Block Audio or Video, you'll need to make an exception for the Pandora website.

1. Return to pandora.com
  2. Select the padlock icon in the address bar to open the Site Information drop-down panel.
  3. Click on the arrow to the right of Connection Secure to show connection details and select More Information.
  4. Click Permissions and locate Autoplay.
  5. Uncheck the Use Default box and select Allow Audio and Video.

++

For Safari:

If your music is not starting automatically in Safari, you may need to adjust your browser's preferences. To do that:

1. Open the Preferences menu.
  2. Select Auto-Play on the preferences sidebar.
  3. Select pandora.com and Allow All Auto-Play from the dropdown menu.

Hope this helps! If you encounter other issues, please let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

Thanks Alyssa, but that does not seem to be the issue, since I am not using Chrome. I am using Firefox; I probably should've clarified that.My bad.

I would like the notification that it's turned off to stop popping up every time I load Pandora without logging out previously. This has been a problem for months, if not a year +, and there has been no change. The auto-play being disabled is something I do not want to alter. After months of seeing this, sometimes multiple times a day, I'm aware that I have this setting turned off and don't need notified about it.

derekwickersham
Local Performer

I second the motion.  The pop-ups are very annoying.  There should be a way to disable them in Pandora account settings. 

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @derekwickersham. 👋

Thanks for your feedback on this.

I've updated the accepted solution for this thread to include instructions about how to disable this in Firefox and Safari. You can find that here.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to adjust this setting when using Chrome. Feel free to contact Google Support for additional help / information regarding their autoplay policy, as this is outside of our scope of expertise.

An alternative includes checking out the Pandora Desktop App here which should allow you to bypass that notification. 

I hope this information is helpful. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

I know this is a very late reply (months in fact), but for some reason the forum notifications only now notified me that there was a response. 😞

We are not looking to enable autoplay through our browsers. We're looking to get rid of the popup that tells us autoplay is disabled. There's no way to tell it to stop reminding us, so it shows up every single time the browser tab is refreshed for any reason. It's very tedious and irritating over time. Any users who have autoplay off intentionally don't want reminded of it every single time we access our page.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@caldella Can you please send us a screenshot of the pop-up you are seeing?

Thanks for the help!

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

Sure. Listed below.

automaticplayback.jpg

asigrijenny
Local Performer

Hi! It might be worth trying to adjust your browser's preferences, as suggested in the previous comments. For example, in Firefox, you can try going to the Preferences menu and selecting Auto-Play on the preferences sidebar, then selecting pandora.com and Allow All Auto-Play from the dropdown menu. This should allow you to adjust your autoplay settings and hopefully stop the notification from appearing. Creating popups can be challenging, and I know that from my experience of working promolayer.io, but the result is usually good.
Hope the issue gets sorted out soon.

0 Kudos

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

The issue mentioned both in my 04-09-2021 and 01/07/2022 post is we do not want auto-play turned on. It is off intentionally. We would like to be able to dismiss this note about the autoplay and have it not come back. This suggestion is just a repeat of what the moderators have already mentioned. At this point 2 years into the problem, it's pretty clear that Pandora has no interest in addressing it.

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @caldella 👋

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and I completely understand your frustration.

While this is not currently a feature, the best way to get ideas like this heard is by submitting a feature request, where you can search and vote for current feature requests, or submit a new one. 

You can learn more about the process on Community's Feature Request Policy & FAQs.

Lastly, we do have an internal ticket related to this issue and we've passed your info along to our engineering team. 

We really appreciate your feedback and patience in the meantime! 🤝

Gerald | Community Moderator
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

bagh33ra
Local Performer

Hello,

Each time Pandora is opened on a Web Browser with Auto-Play disabled there is a pop-up Notification asking if the user needs to be shown how to enable Auto-Play.

Please add a setting to disable the notification completely.  Many of us do not WANT to enable Auto-Play, and the lack of an option to disable this notification is an absolutely atrocious user experience and I am shocked that your UX team has allowed it to continue for this long.

No, I do not wish to enable Auto-Play. No, I do not need to be shown how to do so. No, I am not interested in installing a Desktop App in lieu of using my Web Browser.

Please adjust the UX so that we can permanently say no to this pop-up.

Thank you.

GeraldPandora

Hi @bagh33ra 👋

Thanks so much for letting us know about this. We are aware of this issue and are working on it. I've passed your info along to our engineers.

We really appreciate your patience in the meantime!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

rframsey86
Local Performer

I don't think his issue was with play back as it was the play back notification itself.  How does one disable an annoying popup that tells me what I already know?  If you can!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your post, @rframsey86. The accepted solution for this thread can be found here.

In the meantime, this notification shouldn't pop up each time you attempt to use Pandora on your browser. If this is happening each time, please let us know. 🎧

0 Kudos

rframsey86
Local Performer

I have this problem too.  I intentionally switched off autoplay and Pandora sees fit to remind me everytime of what I already know.  I think there is a reason pandora hasn't fixed this problem b/c it sees benefit to not give you control over your own lives.  Therefore, you are not going to end your subscription b/c pandora doesn't want you too.  It's all about control.  Look at the way it collects stations for you without your ability to delete anything.  The more stations you have, the more you will listen to pandora and end your subscription.  **ahem** you, pandora.  No way I'm accepting this as a solution.