cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

bjoyce2
Opening Act

New Feature Idea: Create Rules about what bands you never want to hear.  If I select a Genre but there are certain bands I never want to hear, there should be a way to create a rule. i.e. I select the 70's Rock Genre but I never want to hear any music from Sting, Rush, Styx, Journey, Kiss, etc.  then allow me to create a rule eliminating them fron the selection algorithm.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
175 Comments
davidjharris123
Opening Act

I agree!  I would really like to block Tool, A Perfect Circle, Breaking Benjamin, Reliant K, Metallica, Green Day, Offspring, Soundgarden and many others.  If nothing else, a "Block Tool" option would be nice!  The "Block Tool" option should be the easiest to find, most accessible feature!

halohome
Local Performer

I have attempted to keep banning songs but, I need to ban an artist from my preferences/playlists/stations.

I would specifically like to remove R Kelly from my playlists and as an artist option. I will not be purchasing a pandora premium subscription because I refuse to give him more royalties because your company keeps playing his music. 

I am sure your audience would like to have the option to refuse/ban other artists. But, it would be nice if we did have some choice in the matter. 

undertakersfan
Local Performer

There is a song on your station that is not only distasteful it's downright offensive with people carrying out mass shootings at schools and other places with bombings and terrorism going on in this world having a song called I'll be killing you for Christmas by Loudon Wainwright III is wrong killing someone is not a joke especially in this day and age this song is just wrong and I hope you feel the same way I feel about it and will remove it immediately

Benesty1977
Local Performer

I thumbs down a deaftones song then a nine inch nails song while on tool radio what do you do??? Play another deaftones song I thumbs down then play another nine inch nails song. If I want to hear nine inch nails or deaftones I’ll listen to their station. Really not a lot of common sense going on at the Pandora office 

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

This Feature Request for this option has existed since September 2019 with no feedback on whether it will ever be implemented. Seems like directing people here is a waste of time at this point? I have a specific artist or two I cannot thumb down on stations because their musical style is, essentially, exactly in tune with my station and would mess up the algorithm to say I disliked. I just cannot stand a specific aspect of that artist, such as the singer's voice, which is subjective and not something the algorithm can understand. I have tried giving a specific song or two of theirs a thumb-down or "I'm tried of this song" in the past to no avail and again, don't want to mess up my station by telling it the genre I want to hear isn't correct.

Moogloogle
Local Performer

I really hate Melanie Martinez, and I have thumbed down on her so many times, but apparently there is something in my 10(+/-?) years of history with this program that she got thumbed up on, and I do not know how to find WHERE IT FRICKEN IS without going through thousands of songs on dozens of stations MANUALLY. I don't see any kind of search my own history feature.

Please just let us block artists or albums we don't want to pop up on auto-play. Even if you make it a feature of the paid version of the app, because at that point WE are your customers, and WE want that feature, even if the artists would get their panties in a wad about being blocked. 

Snail
Local Performer

I want to block an artist from ALL STATIONS.  Or when I finish listening to an album.

"Hamilton" seems to be pre-programmed to automatically start playing on the "auto-play" for any album of any genre.  I hate that album, I feel like I keep downvoting the same songs over and over again because everytime I listen to an album... *bang* there's Hamilton popping up immediately.

Does Hamilton have some sort of special deal with Pandora to automatically start playing.  I've never listened to any rap, not sure why that album automatically pops up for me as it matches nothing I listen to.  If I could ban it from all stations and all auto-play that would be great.

Scatterjoy
Underground

Does anyone want to avoid an artist universally?  For example, I never want to hear a specific artist under any circumstance.    I see two possibilities: 1) boycott...  perhaps an artist misbehaves and you just don’t want to support them.  2) perhaps you associate  an artist in a tough time.  

I would like to maintain a list of artists to block especially while exploring music. Then, I’d like Pandora to share the most blocked artists for fun snd curiosity. 

@Scatterjoy  I remember one music artist that I completely lost all respect for when he physically abused his girlfriend. He had done that multiple times as well. To this day I do not listen to his music. The woman he had done that to, she is also a popular music artist as well. Thanks for posting. Take care and stay safe.  

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Scatterjoy I moved your post over to this existing feature request: Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules

While there isn't currently a way to block an artist from playing on your station, I recommend upvoting this feature request with a ❤️to express your interest in seeing it added to the service.

Thanks for being a part of the Community!