cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: App for Android Automotive (AAOS/Google Built In)

Ideas: App for Android Automotive (AAOS/Google Built In)

Irishska
Underground

Pandora seems to have an app for every smart device I have ever bought, except a new car with AAOS (Android Automotive OS).  Please port a tablet version of Pandora for AAOS so that I can use that instead of radio or Spotify (which does have an app). 

94 Comments
BenStock
Local Performer

Thanks for the information.  Do you have all the updates on your AAOS?

WAZ
Underground
I’ve been perfectly happy with Spotify which I switched to earlier this year after using Pandora forever.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
Iamgroot
Local Performer
Yup, the latest version - 2.13.1

An update back in aug/sep made the responsiveness actually worse, simple things like clicking climate at the bottom of the screen while in Google maps will take 2-3 seconds pop up, leading to unintended multiple clicks. We've had to hard reset multiple times by holding the cleaning button when maps becomes unresponsive, which is fun when you're driving and don't know where to turn.
Brick
Local Performer

Please add Pandora with Android Auto!!! I've been a paid Pandora subscriber for years and just purchased a Polestar 2 yesterday and the sales person told me Pandora would work and it's not an available app. Also, the car doesn't support Android Auto. I'm ok without Android Auto if apps like Pandora were actually available in the Android Automotive Play Store.

Tsu
Local Performer

Chiming in for my support for having Pandora on AAOS since more and more cars manufacturers are looking to support this platform. We recently bought a Volvo and are sad that we have to switch over to Spotify if we want on-board internet radio. 

gduren
Underground

I hope this is not the case, but what are the chances that Sirius XM (Pandora's parent company) is purposefully not developing an AAOS app to prevent it from competing with their satellite radio service?  Seems pretty short sighted to hamstring a great service to try to prop up a crappy one, but who knows. Not sure how else to explain that all the other major streaming services have an app but Pandora.

Brick
Local Performer

Great point but Apple Music does not have a native app.

larryG
Local Performer
That may explain a lot. I had no idea Sirius owns Pandora.
gduren
Underground

Apple might have similar reasons.  They have a somewhat competing service (CarPlay).  With some auto OEMs saying they're going to get rid of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support and only use AAOS, it might be Apple's strategy to not support AAOS to get their users to push back against the OEMs so they will keep CarPlay support.

larryG
Local Performer
Not quite sure what Apple has to do with Pandora other than certifying their App for IOS. The discussion is why Pandora has not created an App for AAOS. I do use Apple Car Play at times on my Volvo XC60 AAOS and it works beautifully. I would just like to have the Pandora App available on AAOS similar to Spotify and other streaming Apps. The only logical explanation I have heard is Pandora is now owned by Sirius and Sirius would prefer you to use their App on AAOS probably because they can charge a much higher monthly fee. However, in my opinion Sirius is **ahem**. Its sound quality is much lower than Pandora Premium or Spotify Premium and their choice of music is quite limited.