cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Autolycus81
Local Performer

So I've subscribed to Pandora for years.  Had my stations curated pretty well, but then around when thumbprint radio was introduced they got messed up, things I had thumbed up in one station were showing up in another where I didn't want them.  After months of thumbing down these bad suggestions, the stations were largely good again...

Then a couple of weeks ago they started having a bunch of bad suggestions that didn't fit the station again. I don't want to go through months of trying to fix the algorithms again, is there a setting where I can get Pandora to not take in preferences from other stations? I'm starting to consider switching to Spotify if Pandora can't provide what they used to. 

Labels (1)
79 Replies

Alipis
Local Performer

Does anybody else have the same problem with morcheeba station. Luke Brian and other similar new country artists are killing my mood. 
Pandora, please fix this. 

Federico274
Local Performer

Idem i have the same issue.

Itsdemondeer
Diamond in the Rough

Hallo! I’m sorry to hear this, I too have the same problem. Have you ever thumbed down the songs that you don’t like hearing? Giving thumbs down to most of the songs you don’t like will automatically take related songs away.

-Demon Deer

AdamPandora

@Alipis I took a look at your Morcheeba Radio station, and it looks like it was created based off of a country artist - Lee Brice: 

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 4.43.36 AM.png

I believe this is the artist you are attempting to actually create a station for: Morcheeba

Try starting a new station from that link I provided, and let me know if you continue to run into issues with this.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Alipis
Local Performer
Sent from my iPhone
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Alipis It looks like your comment arrived blank.

Let me know if there is anything else you need assistance with.

0 Kudos

hughes
Local Performer

I am not into rap music and npne of the selecition that I have liked are clasic music so whay to they try to ad rap to what I want to listen to.

0 Kudos

stevestrike
Underground

Pandora's song choices seem to be pulling from other stations.  This is highly undesirable, and I have read a post here stating that Pandora is not supposed to do this. 

The end effect of pulling song from other stations or previous listening is a repetitive and boring station.  If I wanted to listen to this songs, I would play those stations.  

A single station should be it's own silo without any influence from anything else I've ever liked or listened to previously. Please fix this!  

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@hughes I moved your post over to this thread: Hearing out of place tracks on station

To clarify, are you having issues with rap music playing on one of your stations?

If so, the next time this happens, can you please give that out of place track a thumbs down and then write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred:
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@stevestrike I moved your post over to this thread: Hearing out of place tracks on station

To clarify, are you having issues with wildly out of place tracks playing on one of your stations?

If so, the next time this happens, can you please give that out of place track a thumbs down and then write me back with the following?

• The name of the station where this occurred:
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

hughes
Local Performer

This is a station I created called Music  In C.  I I have a lot of thumbs up and everytime I receive the rap music I gove it a thumbs down and I tought that you had it where they would see I didn't like this type of music.  That's all.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@hughes Thanks for following up.

After taking a look at your Music In C station, I found that you have added an errant seed, Blake (Hip-Hop), to that station. That's why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing this errant seed:

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.57.44 AM.png

You can delete the bad seed by editing your station.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

stevestrike
Underground

Sure thing.  I have a station called "Momma Sed Radio" which a Pucifer song.  I usually listen in "My Station" mode.

Recently, this station played all of these songs that are in no way appropriate for this station.  I believe Pandora pulled them from other stations I liked, which is terrible.  Image 4.png

Lullaby by The Cure

Simple Man by Lynrd Skynyrd

Too Many Puppies by Primus

My Friends by Red Hot Chili Peppers

My Name is Mud by Primus

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@stevestrike Thanks for following up.

The tracks you are reporting do not seem entirely out of place for the station you are having issues with.

This being said, I've taken a look, and this does seem like a fairly new station you are using as I'm not seeing that you're rating very many songs with Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for your stations. Without Thumb info, however, Pandora has to guess what songs you like or don't like, which can often lead to the problem you've described.

Keep in mind, Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb up and down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

Over time, your station will learn more of what you want to hear vs. what you don't want to hear.

This also means that you can use Thumbs to craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the playlists from station to station. For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station. Don't be afraid to rate songs (you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up).

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

stevestrike
Underground

You are telling me with a straight face that The Cure and Lynrd Skynyrd belong with the group Pucifer?  I'd love for you to name a single radio station, Sirius XM channel, etc.. that includes those three groups in one.  It doesn't exist.  

How about Pandora acknowledges the issues with the recent changes made and figures out a way to fix it?  Or keep of the good work and watch everyone continue to migrate to Spotify/Apple Music, etc...

Not happy.

AdamPandora

@burgertime This is an issue due to you having added the artist Nightwish as variety to your station.

That's why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing this seed:

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.43.03 AM.png

I recommend removing this variety, as it is responsible for bringing in the majority of the other artists you mentioned you don't want to hear.

You can delete the bad seed by editing your station.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

burgertime
Underground

No, Nightwish is a metal band and has been a seed of that station for years before I had this issue. I'm not going to delete one of the core bands from my own station - their style is most definitely not quiet folk music or new age like the errant artists. I never had songs bleed over like this in all the years I've used Pandora. I think it started when you added that "thumbprint" mode, or possibly when all the other listening modes like crowd favorites etc were added.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@stevestrike I have created a ticket with our engineering team to see if they can help look into this further.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

stevestrike
Underground

Thank you Adam.... I know everyone here just wants to get the old Pandora back before they started making whatever changes a few months back.

hot_plasma
Local Performer

Every time EVERY TIME that an opera song is played on my station (which I've had for probably a decade now) I downvote it. My station is mostly jazz, jam-band, reggae. Probably 5 opera songs are played EVERY workday. Without getting into it - it's a pain for me to switch things around so that I can downvote them.

It's at the point now that I'm considering abandoning Pandora and the station that I've been honing for years.

How can I prevent opera from playing on my station? 

0 Kudos