cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

lreinhold
Local Performer

Why is my play list so limited? I have been thumbing songs for 2 years and in the last several months, I am hearing the same thing and I have the station set to shuffle?  There are many songs that I have not heard in months!

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
70 Replies

jrabb54
Local Performer

This actually isn't that hard to incorporate as I too have the same issue. Simply put if I choose I like KISS they have over 40 years of music yet all I hear is Detroit Rock City. If you choose an Artist to seed then ALL of their content should have an equal balance. Quite honestly I think the problem is Pandora puts weights on the tracks or as they call them more popular. And as for Related Artists.. well how about playing them once in awhile? I stream Pandora A LOT and have for over 7-8 years and it's still an issue. Don't boast that you have over 40 million tracks when we only get a handful. 

0 Kudos

jrabb54
Local Performer

Additionally DON'T Thumbs Up unless you want to hear ONLY that track about 12 times a week. The one saving grace is the "I'm Tired of this track," which when you think about it, why would you even need that option if there wasn't an issue??

0 Kudos

rmoskios
Local Performer

agreed

Adam is putting the onus on the paying customer.  I have been paying for this product for over 2 years and it's only getting worse.  I will not carry out tasks to make it work.  My list is my artists and I simply want it randomized without manipulation.  I don't want the labor of creating specific playlists.  Maybe if P stopped tracking my listening and just let random be random it would be better.  Also, is it possible that every time P plays a repeated track they pay less royalty because we just heard it.  Adam, quit asking stupid questions about which device is being used.  It's a Pandora (not device) problem.

0 Kudos

jrabb54
Local Performer

I also think there is an issue with seeding. I tried reducing my seeds to only a few thinking it would force Pandora to "think" more and give me a good variety. It seemed to work initially however as there were songs and artists I liked I'd add them back in. While having more seeds doesn't seem to fully help the situation. I work in IT so know plenty about algorithms, etc. and simply put the more seeds you have, the more music and variety you should hear. This doesn't seem to be the case at all. Quite honestly I really like Pandora but their algorithm just seems outdated or not working as intended.

0 Kudos

tlspiegel1
Opening Act

I don't see an Advanced option on Settings.... These are the instructions, but I don't see it anywhere:

Open the Pandora app and go to your Profile.
Select the Settings gear.
Click on Advanced.
Toggle the switch Off. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@tlspiegel1 What exactly are you attempting to accomplish when navigating to those settings?

Also, what is the make and model of the device you are using when you attempt to get there?

Let me know.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

tlspiegel1
Opening Act

A post suggested this re:  Shuffle mode.  To stop repeating the same songs. This was suggested to do the steps on a computer on the Pandora Settings page.   I hope this is clear. 

It's a Grace Mondo Elite.  - I am getting the radio tomorrow.  

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@tlspiegel1 I am not sure where that was suggested, however navigating to your account settings wouldn't resolve any issue with shuffle repetition.

Since that sounds like the actual issue you are running into, I went ahead and merged your post into this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Check out the accepted solution for tips on how to prevent repetition in music when listening in shuffle mode.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

tlspiegel1
Opening Act

I went to My Collection, but don't see a way to make a Custom Shuffle List.  You indicated in the solution to do this on the web browser.  Can you clarify, please and thank you.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@tlspiegel1 You will need to sign into Pandora on either a computer, or a mobile device in order to edit your custom shuffle list.

You won't be able to do this from your Grace device.

Hope this helps clarify.

0 Kudos

tlspiegel1
Opening Act

Thank you, but I am logged into the Pandora website on my computer.  I don't see a way to make a custom shuffle list online.  

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Happy to help with this, @tlspiegel1.

To select what stations you want included in your shuffle mix, first turn on Shuffle Mode on the Now playing screen - then click on the pencil icon:

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.21.00 PM.png

You can then check each circle associated with the stations you want to include:

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.21.38 PM.png

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

tlspiegel1
Opening Act

@AdamPandora   Thank you so much.  Doing this on the computer - will it also apply to my radio shuffle list?   

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@tlspiegel1 Yes - keep in mind that if you edit your Shuffle from a computer or mobile phone, you may need to close and reopen Pandora on your Grace device in order to see your changes.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

tlspiegel1
Opening Act

It helped immensely.  You ROCK!   TY!  (●'◡'●)

AdamPandora

Always happy to help, @tlspiegel1. 😁

0 Kudos

JR224
Local Performer

I have 98 artist stations saved and yet the same 25-30 artists are continually repeating and the majority are never heard. I 'very read some of your solutions but none seem to work for me. Time to find another service?

0 Kudos

basco
Local Performer

Why does Pandora seem to play the same songs even though I have hundreds thumbed up?

The other day, I past over a song, came back to start pandora again about 30 minutes later, and the song was about 3rd in the queue. How can I get Pandora to play more variety!?

I mostly play Shuffle or Thumbs Up station

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@basco I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music is repetitive in shuffle mode

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for some tips on how you can prevent Shuffle mode from getting too repetitive.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

ALYNSON
Local Performer

@AdamPandora- you are ignoring the problem that every single user continues to post and you respond with the same useless information.  With multi-millions of songs available the repeat issue should NOT be happening.  I am paying for premium and I too hear THE EXACT same songs repeatedly.  Thumbs up/down shouldn’t be the only factor affecting what is brought into a station.  If I don’t select either then just keep in bringing similar songs of which there are countless INSTEAD of repeating the same song in some cases, three songs after it was originally played (albeit a different version - Clare de Lune specifically).  Instead of getting better and listening to your users you default to a cruddy app expecting us all to stick around - hoping you’ll figure out.  Why don’t you do something so we all love you and get what we’re paying for.

0 Kudos