cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stations: How many artists can be added as variety?

raymondbrettman
Local Performer

Whereas once, at least theoretically one could add a limitless amount of other artists to a station, (I had one with maybe 130) there seems to now be a ceiling of six. Am I wrong ? First became noticeable to me when I was playing that station with 130 on it and seemed to only be hearing six or less of them all of a sudden, and then in trying to build a new station of its like as I got to adding the 7th artist, the first one I added would disappear from that which Pandora makes visible. Or even the random play of all my stations, which is about 120, seems to center on only a handful of them in maybe the last six months.  

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@raymondbrettman I moved your post over to the My Collection space.

Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds.

While you can technically add as many artists as variety to a station, as a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

To edit your stations on a computer, first make sure you're signed into your Pandora account. Then:

1. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and select the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you to a station details page which shows you information about your personalized station.
  2. You can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by tapping the ellipsis (or three dots), or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.
  3. To delete a Thumbed track, scroll down to the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbed down tracks, click on the Thumbs down icon. Next, either select the ellipsis next to the Thumb or hover your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu. As before, select Delete.

You might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@raymondbrettman I moved your post over to the My Collection space.

Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds.

While you can technically add as many artists as variety to a station, as a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

To edit your stations on a computer, first make sure you're signed into your Pandora account. Then:

1. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and select the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you to a station details page which shows you information about your personalized station.
  2. You can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by tapping the ellipsis (or three dots), or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.
  3. To delete a Thumbed track, scroll down to the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbed down tracks, click on the Thumbs down icon. Next, either select the ellipsis next to the Thumb or hover your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu. As before, select Delete.

You might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

raymondbrettman
Local Performer
Why then as one tries to add a 7th artist, (in lieu of an intent of over 200) that the first one added disappears, and what the station seems to be playing is drawn from a maximum of six. Doubtless to some extent the answer is tied to why it is that no more than six show. This was not ever so. I once, for maybe 15 years, had a pandora station put under Jerry Garcia’s name that had over 200 artists on it, all of whom would be visible when the Garcia page was opened. Named thusly as a nod to the breath of Garcia’s influences. Sent from Mail<> for Windows
0 Kudos

Diamond in the Rough

Artists mode is not available for Pandora Plus, which is what I have. Suggesting that in my case is useless.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @378018 

Artist Only Mode should be available to free listeners and Plus subscribers. However, since licensing regulations require a Pandora Premium subscription in order to be able to listen to your station in "Artist Only" mode you'll first need to initiate a complimentary Premium Access session first.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos