cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop making auto-generated playlists

annoyed
Local Performer

I've been a paying Pandora customer for years and years, but I'm one feature away from cancelling my account and using Spotify exclusively.  

Pandora used ot be simple and easy to use.  Stations.  Thumb up or thumb down.  Now I have pandora-generated "collections" that I don't care about.  I have play lists that I don't care about.  I have "thumbed-up playlist from your station" that I don't care about.  

Stop trying to be like Spotify.  You do you.  

also, auto-playing offline content when I briefly lose internet connection is ridiculous, especially when the genre is completly different.  In the good ol' days, the current song would at least play to the end.  

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Orukal1970. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

We do not have a toggle feature for auto-generated playlists at this time.

While this is not currently a feature, we do have an existing feature suggestion created by another community member here: On/Off switch for auto-generated playlists 

You can upvote this idea by clicking on the 💙icon next to the title of the request and leaving a comment in order to express your interest in seeing this option implemented. 

Hope this information helps clarify. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

21 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@annoyed Thanks so much for your feedback - it is very helpful as we work to improve our service for all our our listeners. 

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 

0 Kudos

msbaardo
Local Performer

I'm new to Pandora Family.  I previously used the free version and had a station I built up that I liked a lot.  When I got the Family subscription, I downloaded that station so I could hear it offline.  However, it converted to a playlist and now I don't get any new music. I also can't find the thumb option I'm supposed to have when offline.   And, it seems to play a lot of the same songs over and over.  There are over 500 songs in the playlist but I always seem to hear the same ones, sometimes multiple times in a day.  I know I'm probably just missing something but I could use some help to make this work better for me.  I liked when I got to hear new music similar to the stuff in my list and I really don't want to start over witha new station if I can help it.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@msbaardo It sounds like you may have downloaded the "Thumbs Up" playlist that was created for your station, rather than the actual station itself for Offline Mode.

After you have thumbed up enough songs on any given station you've created, we'll automatically generate a "Thumbs Up" playlist for that station. In other words, we'll collect your thumbs up from that station into a unique playlist, so you can access all of your favorite tracks whenever you want.

I recommend removing that playlist from your downloads, and instead download the correct station.

Removing downloads:

You can remove your downloaded content by signing out of Pandora on your device, or from the My Collection screen.

To remove your downloads from the My Collection screen:

1. Tap the menu icon, then Settings.
  2. Select Audio Quality and Downloads.
  3. Tap Reset downloads at the bottom.
  4. Finally, confirm that you would like all the offline content that’s been downloaded to your device removed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Downloading the correct station:

Once this has been completed, you can download the correct station for Offline Mode.

It may help to first sort your collection by Stations.

To sort My Collection on mobile:

Tap the caret (arrow pointing downward) on the far right side of your screen and from here, you can sort by Stations.

To download your station on mobile:

Tap on the station you wish to download and click the Download button (icon with arrow pointing downward).

Let me know if you run into any trouble with this. 

0 Kudos

mkristal
Local Performer

I'm with you, Annoyed. I don't understand what all of these Pandora generated "collections" are, and I don't want to see them at all anymore. What's really annoying is how they keep being added and start automatically playing when I open Pandora. This morning was Music Box radio?!?!? Please just let me shuffle through the stations that I have curated over the years, Pandora! 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mkristal We appreciate your feedback around this.

If you'd like to see some sort of on/off switch to prevent these playlists from getting automatically generated, I recommend creating a post for your suggestion in our Feature Request space. 💡

0 Kudos

ChitownListener
Local Performer
100% Every time I open Pandora now there are all these "collected" stations that I did not create and its filling my account with junk. Pandora STOP IT!!!!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ChitownListener Thank you for your feedback.

I recommend creating a feature request to prevent the auto-generated playlists from getting added to your account through the link I provided in my message above

Orukal1970
Local Performer

Is there any way to get Pandora from automatically creating a "My thumbs up playlist"? I know I can get around this by sorting my collections by stations only or other things but I'd rather not even deal with that if possible.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Orukal1970. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

While this is not currently a feature, we do have an existing feature suggestion created by another community member here: On/Off switch for auto-generated playlists 

You can upvote this idea by clicking on the 💙icon next to the title of the request and leaving a comment in order to express your interest in seeing this option implemented. 

Hope this information helps clarify. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

draeath
Local Performer

Mid-2021 and this is still a thing.

It can't be that hard to add a toggle, or your backlog so long someone can't bust this out in an afternoon!

JohnDavidSumner
Underground

61777A5F-4629-465C-9FF8-0A1FEF8A90EC.jpeg

The new function of thumbprints creating new stations shouldn't exist. The songs will play on the station you thumbed up. You agree that creating stations should only be at the discretion of the user?

Moderator Edit: Format

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JohnDavidSumner I moved your post over to this existing thread: Stop making auto-generated playlists

You can upvote this idea by clicking on the 💙icon next to the title of the request and leaving a comment in order to express your interest in seeing this option implemented. 

Hope this helps!

dom333
Underground

Hi. Love Pandora. I went premium because I absolutely despise commercials haha. There are some suggestions I would recommend for the team. One, which I've said in the past, is to give the user control over the background color scheme. The second is to not allow the addition of songs already on playlists, and this ties into number three. I don't like the automatic playlist creation after thumbs upping X amount of songs on that station. It leaves me at least, losing track with the extra dozen playlists, and I end up having the same song play 4 times. Nothing major but a bit annoying. Any ways to solve this issue? If not I hope Pandora can work on these, because I really don't feel like having to manually go through playlists and delete them. It's sort of the reason why I am paying for Pandora. Thanks and have the best day/night ever.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dom333 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Stop making auto-generated playlists

You can upvote this idea by clicking on the 💙icon next to the title of the request and leaving a comment in order to express your interest in seeing this option implemented. 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

edeoliveira
Local Performer

How do I stop the creation of auto-generated playlists in the first place? I don't like the clutter

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@edeoliveira I moved your post over to this existing thread: Stop making auto-generated playlists

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Pnut
Underground

Pandora is constantly creating new stations without my consent. Every week I am deleting automatically created stations such as "STATION NAME Thumbs Up". I don't want that and never asked for it. I've also been deleting songs that, somehow, have been added without my consent. Please fix this or at a minimum, give me an option to turn this "feature" off.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pnut I moved your post over to this existing thread: Stop making auto-generated playlists

Unfortunately, we do not have a toggle feature for auto-generated playlists at this time.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Pnut
Underground
Well, doesn't help one bit. Stopping the auto generation...that would help.