cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple TV: Logged out after each use - must reboot or uninstall to log in

Raif
Underground

Apple TV 4th Gen: It happens that the Pandora App launches with no way for me to log in. If I delete and reinstall, I can then successfully log in, see all my songs and lists, but then after a couple of days, Pandora goes back to the basic app with no way to log in. Reinstall fixes the problem for another day or two and then bam, it's gone again.  Has done this three times so far. 

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
102 Replies

kempruffner
Local Performer

When I open my AppleTV for streaming and click on Pandora, it doesn’t allow me to sign in. So I have to go back out, delete the app and then reload it from the apps, How do I fix this so that when I open the App I can either sign in or have it open to my material which it does on my iPhone.Kemp

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kempruffner I moved your post over to this existing thread: Apple TV: Logged out after each use - must reboot or uninstall to log in

A workaround was provided in the accepted solution - can you please try that out and let us know if you continue to experience issues with this?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos

AltoidsMan
Local Performer

Yes, Pandora used to be easy to use.  Now it's hard.  Make it easy again.  

0 Kudos

johnmnagy
Diamond in the Rough

Edited because moved messages make it hard to know what I referred to here:

This HOME HOME, then find the Pandora instance and swipe it up and away absolutely works. I had no idea this HOME/QUIT thing was even there. I see the relation to iPad and even Android quitting, but never actually knew this function existed. Thanks. Still will welcome a code fix.

(EDIT: this process requires the swipe gesture, which has no IR control equivalent, so it can't be used at all if the AppleTV is in an integration using IR instead of the native remote.)

Update as of 6/16/23 - no new version on Apple yet. Still hoping to end the bleeding soooooon.

Diahne
Underground

Yup me too. Stations gone again this weekend. My tvOS16.5…

Confused how this is an “accepted solution”. Seems fussy to do each time. I’d like to try it since I am tired of deleting and reinstalling every weekend. Have no clue where the Home button is my remote and not possible to “hard swipe”. Any more info on this? Thanks much

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

johnmnagy
Diamond in the Rough

"Home" is the one to the right of the MENU button, it has an icon of a TV screen.

Press it twice, you'll see the layered apps that are current, like what you see if you touch the square button on an android, or a multi-finger up-swipe on an iPad.

Then left or right to select the Pandora screen, then up-swipe on the remote pad to flick away/remove that page. This quits the app. The next time you normally start the Pandora app, it will work OK again. Until then next time you start another app and are away long enough for the bug to occur.

The issue is now clear, new code has been written, a fix is completed by Pandora and promised for release, but Apple is not quick with putting things in the store. There -is- hope. Any day now.

Watch for the Pandora app version to increment - the current flaking one is 1911.1

Find the version by going to SETTINGS (the gear) in the top menu bar while in Pandora.

DavePandora
Pandora
Pandora

Thanks for all the guidance here!

The new version will be 2305.2.1. QE is on the edge of approving, and we're planning to submit the build to Apple tomorrow (6/20).

johnmnagy
Diamond in the Rough

That's quite a version increment!

We will not miss the intrigue and adventure of Schrodinger's App (simultaneously logged out and in).

DavePandora
Pandora
Pandora

Yes haha, it truly is. The version numbering system is:

YYMM.(release # for that month).(patch # if applicable)

This one was forked off our second iOS release in May (the two are in the same Git repository and share a high % of code), hence it's got a "patch" number even though it isn't technically a patch. (Though in terms of the FTUX screen, you could argue that it is.) The expectation is that the only changes will be some bug fixes. It's possible that -- outside of our own changes -- some improvements will come from targeting the most recent operating system.

0 Kudos

bhhales
Underground
Note that if you have a newer Apple TV remote you can also double tap the top of the ring on the Apple TV remote to do the same thing and force quit the Pandora application. This is handy for those who have turned swipe gestures off. So again, the steps are:

- Double tap the home button. It is the top right button on the Apple TV remote next to the one labeled menu. It has an icon on it that looks like a TV set.
- Swipe to the right until you see a slightly zoomed out picture of the Pandora application, which will probably be a solid blue screen with the word Pandora. If you have swipe gestures turned off you will have to tap the right side of the touchpad or the ring around the touchpad depending on what version of the Apple TV remote that you have.
- From there, force quit the Pandora application by making a large swipe up gesture on the touchpad of the remote, or double tapping the top of the touch part of the remote on older remotes or the ring on the newer remotes.
- Press the home button once which should take you back to your regular Apple TV menu. From there you can re-launch the Pandora app and you should find yourself logged back in with all of your stations.

To reiterate, you do not have to reinstall the Pandora application to fix this, you simply have to force quit it. Pandora has said that this is a workaround until the new version of the Pandora app is released, which should be soon it sounds like. Don't be fooled by the terminology "accepted solution", that is just what forms like this say for any way to get around a problem. A new version is coming and this will go away soon.

Barry

andisnow
Local Performer

I too am having this problem. I don't remember when it started but it's happening daily now.

My Apple TV OS is 16.5 (20L563).

DavePandora
Pandora
Pandora

Our 2305.2.1 Apple TV app update which fixes this issue was released just now. Over the coming week, we will roll this out to all users via automatic updates. In the meantime, you can update to this version by opening the App Store app on your Apple TV, searching for Pandora, and clicking the Update button. Please let us know here (and mention me directly) if you run into any new issues (or, somehow, still run into THIS issue) with the new version. Thank you!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update, and your hard work on addressing this issue, @DavePandora! 👍

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 

GawdyTucan
Underground

Thank you for being on it! 

Diahne
Underground

Brilliant news, you guys are great 

DavePandora
Pandora
Pandora

Update: Unfortunately we discovered a crash in the 2305.2.1 update and are working to address. We've paused automatic updates and plan to get a patch out ASAP. If affected by this issue, for now please do not update; instead use @bhhales solution, and we should have another update out in the coming days.

Corinasonia
Local Performer

Thank you so much! This worked!

johnmnagy
Diamond in the Rough

I haven't had a crash with this update (yet), but I note that the PAUSE issue I've reported for a long time remains. Recapping, after an hour or so playing, the pause/play ceases to work, and the only way to stop the music is to force-quit (dismiss the app as in bhhales' method) or run some other app which will take over the sound. In all the Pandora apps on other devices, this never happens.

0 Kudos

DavePandora
Pandora
Pandora

Hi @johnmnagy,

Would you mind tagging me around the pause issue on a dedicated topic (existing or, if needed, a new one)? It's a shame, but also not entirely surprising, that 4 years of iOS codebase changes didn't magically fix it. It sounds like a deeper investigation would be needed, and I don't know what kind of bandwidth we'll have. Having a separate topic for it -- you provided good detail in a couple posts within this topic -- would nonetheless be helpful for visibility. We've tried to remain laser-focused on getting this critical fix out (and then fixing the fix; the crash hotfix, 2305.2.2, is approved by Apple but is waiting internal QE after the long holiday weekend). Again, can't promise anything, but if you start a separate topic (or, even better, resurrect an existing one with lots of complaints), I can see what's possible.

Thanks for your diligence in checking and reporting it.

johnmnagy
Diamond in the Rough

Report topic created: https://community.pandora.com/t5/iOS/AppleTV-PLAY-PAUSE-fails-after-an-hour-or-so-of-playing-You-can...

Search for similar reports turned up hordes of unrelated issues... so I made a new, detailed, one.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos