cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home: Google voice command issues

Randyrhombus
Local Performer

I am having similar issues with casting to my google home.

Using voice commands my google home does not want to play some of my stations such as my Rock station
I have tried directly casting to the device from the pandora app on my phone but it will end the casting session and wont play

Only work around I have found is to ask google to play an artist stastion that I have not added to my Radio list
For example "Hey Google Play Red Hot Chillie Peppers on Pandora" works but "Hey Google Play my Rock Station on Pandora" doees not.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
47 Replies

jhn
Local Performer

Check to see if there are any updates available for your Google Home and Pandora apps. Update if needed. Both Google Home and Pandora are at the latest:  2.60.108 and v2210.1 respectively
Restart your Google Home device by unplugging the power source and plugging it back in. Tried that, same results.
Try unlinking and relinking your Pandora account via the Google Home app. Done. Still the same. When I say, "Hey Google, play Paul's Boutique" or "Hey Google, play Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys" Google Assistant replies with "asking Pandora to play some music".  And it plays a bunch of random stuff.

My phone and the Google Assistant are all on the same WiFi Network.

Pandora is the default music provider.

When I say, "Hey Google, play Paul's Boutique" or "Hey Google, play Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys" Google Assistant replies with "asking Pandora to play some music".  And it plays a bunch of random stuff not the album requested.

See above for more info.

mod edit: merged comments

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for getting back to me with that information, @jhn. I've gone ahead and shared this information with our engineering team on your behalf.

We appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

sncboom2k
Local Performer

I'm having the exact same issue as JHN.  "Hey google - play ice ice bay."  "Ok asking Pandora to play some music".  And the song does not change.  Pandora premium account - everything on the latest version.  Happening to my wife's S21 Ultra and my S22 Ultra.  

0 Kudos

marenw
Local Performer

I also have this problem with a Bose smart speaker using Google Assistant. I ask it to play my Pandora station called Peppy, and it says “OK, playing a mix of dog music on Pandora.” (Puppy…)

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@marenw Google is really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

As a result, they've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

Could you request that content from your Google Home again? Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google which will allow them to investigate what's going on.

Let me know when this has been completed.

0 Kudos

DeahE
Local Performer

Hey Google playlist request creates new station

When I say "Hey, Google, play my Praise and Worship Playlist on my Kitchen Display."  Pandora creates a Praise and Worship radio station rather than playing the playlist I already have.  I tried rephrasing the command several different ways, all with the same result.  The Pandora app on the Google display doesn't have the ability to choose stations or playlists so I have to get my phone, stop the music it started playing, and cast what I actually wanted.  This is a pretty tedious workaround for a voice activated device. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DeahE I moved your post over to this existing thread: Google Home - Voice command issues

Google is really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

As a result, they've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

Could you request that content from your Google Home again? Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google which will allow them to investigate what's going on.

Let me know when this has been completed.

0 Kudos

LaurieF
Local Performer

I'm having similar issues. Recently got rid of my google mini because of repeated issues and nothing resolved. Got a larger Google Nest home device and at first it was fine, now having same issues: give command to "Play Pandora Smooth Jazz Radio" and she responds "Ok, here's a pandora station called smooth jazz" - then NOTHING. Sent MULTIPLE "feedback" responses based on above reply. Unplugged and replugged. More feedback. Finally playing - but don't know why it keeps having issues. 

0 Kudos