cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home: Google voice command issues

Randyrhombus
Local Performer

I am having similar issues with casting to my google home.

Using voice commands my google home does not want to play some of my stations such as my Rock station
I have tried directly casting to the device from the pandora app on my phone but it will end the casting session and wont play

Only work around I have found is to ask google to play an artist stastion that I have not added to my Radio list
For example "Hey Google Play Red Hot Chillie Peppers on Pandora" works but "Hey Google Play my Rock Station on Pandora" doees not.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Randyrhombus Welcome to the community!

I created a separate post for your issue.

Google is really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

As a result, they've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

Could you request that content from your Google Home again? Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google which will allow them to investigate what's going on.

View solution in original post

47 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Randyrhombus Welcome to the community!

I created a separate post for your issue.

Google is really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

As a result, they've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

Could you request that content from your Google Home again? Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google which will allow them to investigate what's going on.

Randyrhombus
Local Performer

Hello Adam, 

It seems to be working now, but I will update this if I have problems again. 

eastbayj
Underground

Hi,

My Pandora app rarely shows the option to to cast from the app. If I ask GHM to play a station it has a problem. And asking GHM to thumb up or down a song replies with try again later. This is very tiring and frustrating. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @eastbayj sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Google Home.😔 Have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet? If not, let's try these steps:

1. Check to see if there are any updates available for your Google Home and Pandora apps. Update if needed.
  2. Restart your Google Home device by unplugging the power source and plugging it back in.
  3. Try unlinking and relinking your Pandora account via the Google Home app.

Thanks for taking the time to post to community! 🎧 Let me know how it goes. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

eastbayj
Underground

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did all the steps you recommended and I'm still having issues. The main one being not having the casting icon show up in the pandora app to cast to my Google Home Mini. I can always ask Google to play a station, song or artist but, I love the new For You section in Pandora and If I find somethinng in the For You sectionand I  want to listen to it It would be great if i can just stat playing from the app and have it cast to my GHM. Having the pandora app and GHM play nice together has been a frustration issue. I realy love Pandora But, the frustrating casting issues have me trying out other services. 

Spotify casts like a dream to the GHM but, Pandora gets me and always has my Jams....hoping it gets resolved.

Any othrr tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TannerPandora

Hey @eastbayj 😔does the cast icon come and go, or is it completely gone? What is the model of your phone?

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

giapet83
Local Performer

Same issue here - it happens on all my google home devices (4) stations that should play fine now won't.

Sadly I do think I need to switch over to Spotify.

Jrcart27
Underground

Has there been any update here? I've submitted feedback as requested, and have for over a year, but nothing seems to change, nor do I receive any feedback/updates. To me it's not a problem with the Assistant but the Pandora App. I do not have voice command issues on other music apps. What is Pandora doing to rectify these issues?

I'd like to point out that a few years ago this functionality worked totally fine. It was the addition of the "Thumbs up" playlists and other dumb auto-playlist features in the app that has seemed to mess with this. 

Pandapoope
Local Performer
I recently setup a few google home speakers in my house. When I ask Google home to play one of my existing stations, it searches pandora and plays something that sounds similar instead of my existing stations. I have a station called Linkin Park. I say "ok Google, play my linkin park station. It plays some other station and adds it to my station list. It's cluttering up my account with unwanted garbage instead of playing the right thing that already exists. I'm kinda of tired of Pandora issues and tendency to over play the mediocre songs and hardly playing what I actually like. Maybe it's time to change my music subscriptions...

TannerPandora

Hi @Pandapoope Welcome to community! Sorry for any trouble with your Google Home. I've moved your post to an existing thread on this topic to help keep things organized. 

I would recommend checking out @AdamPandora post for further help with this. To view his post, please click here

Thanks again for posting to community! 🎧

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jimbuzbee
Local Performer

Most of the time this type of command works fine on my Google Home devices, but other times, I get the correct initial response from Google - something like "OK. Here's a Pandora station called Indie Rock. Playing on home group" - then nothing happens. Sometimes I have to repeat this sequence 4-5 times before it starts up. Other times, I just give up and play something on a different service.  I get this on various of my Pandora "stations". Sometimes it seems like if I give up on my initial selection and ask for some other station, it works - but not sure. Frustrating - feel like an idiot saying the same commands over and over and over again...

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jimbuzbee I moved your post to this thread since you are experiencing a similar issue.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for instructions on how you can send Google a diagnostic report with your feedback.

0 Kudos

jeff_spink
Underground

I have recently started having the same issue. I will tell it to play one of my stations and it will either say it can't find it, or play something with a similar name. Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @jeff_spink thanks for posting! Sorry to hear this is happening. 

I'd like to report this to our engineers. Can you let me know the model number of your device as well as an example(s) of a station(s) in your station list that Google Home has trouble understanding. 

Also, I do highly recommend sending the diagnostic report to Google. 

You can send this report by requesting that content from your Google Home again. Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google and allow them to investigate what's going on.

Thanks for the help with this!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jeff_spink
Underground

Hi,

It is happening across all my home devices. A Google Nest, Google mini and Google Home original.

A couple examples of my personalized stations are "Sweet Dinnertime Tunes" and "Mucho Variety".

For Dinnertime it plays some other station with the name Dinnertime in it, and for Mucho Variety it just says something along the lines of can't find that station.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for letting me know @jeff_spink. I'm going to start a ticket with our User Support team and report this to our engineers. 

Can you please confirm if you were able to send the feedback report to Google?

Thanks!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jeff_spink
Underground
I did.

tlcasey111
Local Performer

Unplugging and plugging back in doesn't consistently work or if it does, it doesn't last long before it stops working.  I tried one solution where it said to add "regular" to the Pandora station name and that worked for some Google Home Minis but, again, not consistently.  When I ask "Hey, Google, play Emma Wallace radion station from Pandora," it will think and sometimes say "ok."  Then nothing happens.  Then I'll ask, "what song are you playing?" it will reply, "No song."  So it seems like it tries to pass the command but then loses the command and fails.  Are there memory leaks or packets that are lost?  I don't have the same issues with Spotify and that's not even my default link.

I've tried unlinking and relinking, unplugging and plugging back in.  I've added "regular" to the station name in Google Home.  I've tried to say "Hey Google, continue with music," and that worked once but not consistently.  I think it just worked after an unplug/replug.  I've checked in Google Home to see if anything was playing on the speaker to ensure all music on all speakers were off and they were. I've checked with the account to make sure the accounts were the same and they were. I've checked the wifi and everything is connected to the same wifi.  I've tried to play music on a speaker with my cell and tablets elsewhere to not create conflicting commands.  I don't know what else to try.  I think it's on the Pandora side and not the Google Home side since it works with Spotify and Sirius streaming.  Sometimes persistency pays off and Pandora will just working after a dozen different attempts.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @tlcasey111! thanks for posting your experience with your Google Home Minis. 

Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently investigating. I've added your info to the ticket for now. 

Thanks for your patience while they continue to look into this. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos