cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home - Not Receiving Requested Content

MrJackson
Underground

I can't get anything to play correctly on any Google Assistant device. I get the same results on a Nest Hub, Nest Mini, and even my Pixel 4xl.

If I ask for a playlist or even by thumbprint radio, it plays something else entirely (shown in video below).

If I as for a specific artist, it just sits there on the blue pandora screen for a long time them goes back to the home screen.

This used to work fine a few weeks ago, I've tried removing and re-linking Pandora in the Home App with no changes. I have Pandora Premium so there should be no limitations on anything. Not to mention my subscription was just dropped last month without so much as a notice or reason (card was updated a couple months ago so there's no way that caused it).

I've been a paying customer since 2007. And I've about had it, Youtube Music is looking better and better.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @MrJackson! Thanks for posting your experience to community.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with Google Assistant and Pandora. I've created a report to pass on to our engineers for further investigation into this. 

In the meantime, Google is also really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

As a result, they've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

Could you request that content from your Google Home again? Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google which will allow them to investigate what's going on.

Thanks for the help!

Tanner | Community Moderator
~ New Music: New Music Monday
~ Check out Tip #16 Alarm Clock from Tanner's Tips
> > Follow us on Twitter @PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jeff857
Local Performer

Play artist "Steve Miller BAND" plays obscure 1 album artist "Steve Miller"

Hi, when I ask the Google assistant to "Play artist Steve Miller BAND" (Pandora is my default music service), it plays this obscure 1 album artist "Steve Miller" who does not have "Band" in the artist name.

https://www.pandora.com/artist/steve-miller/ARwVvhm9nZr7JqX

Thanks!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@jeff857 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Google Assistant/Nest - Not Receiving Requested Content

Google is also really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

As a result, they've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

Could you request that content from your Google Home again? Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

This will send a diagnostic report to Google which will allow them to investigate what's going on.

Thanks for working with us on this. 🤝

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Music + Podcasts

0 Kudos

ladyofdragons
Local Performer

I’m having this same issue. What is the solution? I do not have Pandora Premium so I have no playlists, none of the stations I’m requesting have “radio” in the title. What’s worse, is that when I ask for a particular station, the music I get doesn’t even seem to be stuff I thumbed up for that station. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @ladyofdragons! Thanks for posting. 

I moved your post over to another thread that seems to fit your message a little more: Google Home Devices - Not Receiving Requested Content

We're working with Google on this. They are really interested in what's happening when your Google Home device doesn't understand your request, or starts the wrong station.

They've asked us to refer listeners back to them when this happens.

This will send a diagnostic report to Google, so they can further look into this. Thank you!

0 Kudos

dkratter14
Local Performer

When I tell my Google Nest Mini ("GNM") to play a specific station, it doesn't work.

One of my customized stations is called "AltStone", and even when I try to be extremely specific ("Hey Google, play my Pandora station AltStone"), it doesn't find my station.

I have another station called "MGK Radio", and if I tell GNM to play it, the closest I ever get is the playlist called "Machine Gun Kelly Radio Thumbs Up", which only has a few songs in it. I understand that this playlist was generated from listening to my MGK Radio station, but I want to play the station, not the playlist.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @dkratter14! Thanks for posting your experience, sorry to hear you've had trouble listening to Pandora on your Google Nest Mini. 

I moved your message over to a similar post here

I've reported this to our engineering department, but I also recommend letting Google know as well. 

Could you request that content from your Google Nest Mini again. Then, if your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

Thanks!

0 Kudos

dkratter14
Local Performer

I filed the feedback.

Any suggestions from your end? I don't imagine I'd hear anything back from Google.

0 Kudos

yottabit
Underground

Any updates on this topic? I was having problems getting Google Assistant to play my playlists from Deezer, so thought about moving back to Pandora after 8 years of other providers. But playlists don't work here, either! This is a must-have or I can't use the service. My kids use playlists as part of their bedtime routine.

0 Kudos

cag45
Local Performer

For a while now, I've been playing my playlists and stations on Google Home by saying:

"Hey Google, play My Favorite Songs" (one of my playlists)

"Hey Google, play Me" (I have a station called "Me")

This has worked for well over a year, and it worked this afternoon. Suddenly tonight, it stopped working. Instead of Google replying:

"Alright, playing your playlist My Favorite Songs"

"Alright, playing your station called Me"

Google replies with:

"Alright, playing some music on Pandora"

It then proceeds to play music from my Pandora account (and it is clearly playing music that I like and is often played on my Pandora account, so the music it's playing isn't totally random); however, it no longer recognizes any of my playlists or stations.

If I ask Google to play a specific song or album, that works - it's just my playlists and stations that it doesn't recognize.

I've tried all of the following:

- Reboot the entire home network

- Unlink and relink my Pandora account from the Google Home app on my iPhone

- First log out of Pandora on my iPhone, then unlink/link, so that linking made me re-login to Pandora on my iPhone

None of this has worked.

Any suggestions?

thanks

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @cag45! Welcome to community. 👋

I moved your post over to an existing thread that is similar: Google Home - Not Receiving Requested Content

I'm happy to pass this along to our engineering team for review. Can you let me know me know a little more about your experience. 

• Is Pandora your default music provider?
  • Have you tried adding "on Pandora" to the voice command? Example: "Hey Google, play My Favorite Songs on Pandora"
  • When you request a station or a playlist are you able to tell if it's playing another station or playlist with a similar name? For example, does requesting a playlist, play a station or vice versa? 

Thank you for the help. 

0 Kudos

yottabit
Underground

I cancelled my subscription due to these bugs, now that YouTube Music supports Family Link accounts! No problems on that service.

0 Kudos

cag45
Local Performer

This seems to have worked:

"Have you tried adding "on Pandora" to the voice command?"

I asked (one time):

"Hey Google, play My Favorite Songs on Pandora"

and it replied:

"Alright, your Pandora playlist My Favorite Songs" - and it actually played the playlist.

Now, I can once again just say:

"Hey Google, play My Favorite Songs" (without adding "On Pandora"), and it also plays the playlist.

So either:

- the problem just fixed itself

- adding "On Pandora" just once refreshed some stale state

Either way, there is some very flaky software either on Google's end or Pandora's end (I've been a SW engineer for 27 years).

As to your other questions:

- Yes Pandora is my default provider

- When things weren't working, it was playing songs from my playlists, stations or my genres in general. It was similar to what Pandora will do when you ask for a single song or album. When done it usually continues with songs in the same genre. So it was though Google could clearly tell Pandora to play music using my account - just that the 2 pieces of software lost the ability to communicate about playlists and stations.

thanks

0 Kudos