cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network: In-home devices will not play with new network

sandaja
Underground

I just changed ISPs from Xfinity to Ezee Fiber.  The new system works well except when it comes to Pandora on some of my appliances including a roku, chromecast, google TV, and a mini-nest.  I've updated the apps on all but the nest and verified all are connected to the network .  The streaming appliances are all handing video and other music providers and all appear to successfully login into my pandora account and I can see the various stations.  However, nothing happens (no music) or I get an unexpected error when I try to launch a station on the roku, google tv, or mini-Nest.  The mini-nest streams non-pandora radio stations fine so again it's not connectivity.   I've also tried to cast to my chromecast or google TV from a running instance of Pandora on my android phone that's playing music and it'll connect to either appliance and give a Pandora screen on the TV but go no further - either no music or indicate unexpected error..

I have no issues listening to pandora on my home network via my Pixel android phone using only wifi or my windows PC also via Wifi so it's not a wifi connectivity or obvious router issue.  Everything was working fine with Pandora until the switch and as noted phone and computer handle Pandora fine but roku, google tv, chromecast and mini-nest just fail with pandora (unexpected error) even though they handle other video and audio apps just fine.

It certainly sounds like something to do with my new fiber ISP.  The ISP router is a Ha-0336G-a nokia wifi 6 router.  I've spoken with the ISP and they're clueless especially since everything else works.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @sandaja 

Welcome to community!

Sorry to hear this happening with your new ISP.

Your experience definitely sounds interesting, especially since it is only affecting some of your devices and not all. Are you aware of any network level security features that may be active, such as a VPN or network level ad-blocker?

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

sandaja
Underground

No VPN and as far as I can tell no ad blocker on the gateway router.  

Everything worked until the ISP change.  Spotify and other audio streaming work on all of the Google appliances. I can cast to these appliances but no bueno casting Pandora from my phone to any of the Google appliances. I kick it off with Pandora on my phone playing something and then try to cast. The switch to the Pandora screen occurs but the music stops. I've tried the normal clear cache and data as well as reinstall the apps but no luck.  Firmwares are all updated.  id say it was Google related but Roku has the same problem.  The funny this is the appliances are clearly talking to Pandora since it's logging me in and displaying the stations at least on Google TV and Roku, but it balks at playing music.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @sandaja 

Definitely, interesting experience. Normally, when multiple in-home devices are affect, my first thought would be the network. I don't believe any steps I could provide would offer an immediate resolution. I'd like to pass this along to our engineering team for further review and investigation.

In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your account. For now, I'd like to focus on gathering info and concentrating on a specific device, like the Roku. Can you do me a favor and power cycle your modem, router and Roku by unplugging it for at least 5 minutes, then plugging it back in. Once you're powered back up, try playing Pandora on your Roku. Let me know the date and the approximate time you tried this and I'll take a closer at the trace logs.

Thank you for the help!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

sandaja
Underground

Ok, cycled fiber modem and router as well as Roku

66:33 left most ip bytes

Roku: First login attempt 5:18:35pm cst, followup attempt at 5:20:00 , both connected to acct but no music 

For grins I tried Google TV box 5:42:00 pm still no music

I also setup app on smart Lg TV 5:37 pm. It  connected but failed to play music

Finally, I connected via PC on same network using chrome at 5:50:50 pm. It works fine

TannerPandora

Thanks for doing that for me, @sandaja.

I'm continuing my investigation, but have made a small change, that may help. Can you try listening on your Roku or Google TV and let me know if you're having the same trouble.

And if you are still having trouble can you let me know the date/time you tried.

Thanks again!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

glyndon
Opening Act

If you have the ability to change the DNS servers used by your ISP's router, or, on your own internal border router, see if changing to use 8.8.8.8 (e.g.) makes any difference.

0 Kudos

sandaja
Underground

Ok on Dec 15 at about 5:56 am CST I tried accessing Pandora via both the Roku Google TV.  No change however, Roku appears to login but gives an unexpected error when music launch is attempted. I also tried glyndon's suggestion to force dns but no change there either. I use an Asus frontend router running merlin and had to change it's settings to default to Google DNS. My main ISP router displays DNS entry forms but doesn't allow me to edit it. The Asus box is running DHCP so the change I made should have resolved things since everything is connected to it. 

0 Kudos