cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: iOS: Music Stops After Ad Plays using AirPlay

davidacox
Opening Act

I have a similar problem (or it may be the same problem, but with an additional observation). My airplay stream will work fine until a commercial break happens. The commercials play properly, but when the music is supposed to start, the player on my phone shows that things are working properly, but no audio is sent to the airplay device. If I leave it in that state, the audio will start again after the NEXT commercial set plays. So it is as if the player as set is volume to 0, or muted itself between commercial breaks. This only happens over airplay streaming, and only from my iOS device. Attempts to adjust the volume does not have an effect.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
196 Replies

FPD
Local Performer

Not working here either. Downloaded latest version of pandora and using AirPlay on iPhone 10 with latest apple software. Have done all the troubleshooting. It’s obvious that pandora doesn’t care as this is the free version. As soon as the ads run the next song shows as it’s playing but no sound. Extremely frustrating 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for your post, @FPD. I've added your experience to the internal ticket we have open. 

I understand how frustrating this is. We appreciate your patience while this is worked on. When I have an update, I will post on this thread. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Snowboardxt12
Local Performer

I am also having this issue. Very few times will it resume after commercials but it never plays the commercials. 

I am connected to a Sony Bravia TV then connected to a Bose Sound Bar via HMDI through ARC. 

iOS: 16.0.3

Pandora: 2210.1

Most often I have to wait for the commercial break to end, then I press play in Pandora to resume.  

Sometimes I must kill the app and start again. This only happens when I’m using AirPlay. Otherwise, no issues. 

0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

This has never been fixed. Pandora will not work with Air Play as it will stop playing after commercials and sometimes play music again after 3 to 5 songs.  

Air Play works great with Apple, Spotify, Amazon Music.  

Been broken since December of 2021 and reinstalling updating IPhone will not resolve this problem.  

Air Play just broken with IOS.  I have 5 IOS devices and 4 Air Play devices and all have same issue.  

I really done understand why this has not been fixed.  

0 Kudos

Larry-G
Underground
I have the same set up as you with the same issues , tried all suggested remedies, no luck.

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos

Buddd2000
Local Performer

Any resolution here?? The first post on this thread was from months ago. This problem is quite annoying.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Buddd2000 If you haven't already done so, I recommend running through the following troubleshooting steps: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

If you continue to experience issues with playback after an advertisement, I can report your feedback to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: 
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Does this occur after a specific ad or does this happen after all ads?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

Buddd2000
Local Performer
I have. How do we resolve this? Why has there been no resolution after many months??

Sent from my iPhone
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Buddd2000 From our end, it doesn't appear those steps have been completed yet.

Please make sure to uninstall/reinstall the app following the steps here: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

If you continue to experience issues with playback after an advertisement, I can report your feedback to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: 
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Does this occur after a specific ad or does this happen after all ads?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos

jsfranko
Underground

This says it has been solved but it hasn’t.  The only thing that has been done is that an internal ticket has been created almost a year ago. 

this just started happening to me. I deleted and reinstalled the app to try to fix but it didn’t work. It’s even to the point where it plays a commercial every couple songs so it is silent a lot. It used to play commercials after many more songs. 

the only thing I can recall is that it played granger commercials repeatedly before it started happening. Now it plays a variety of commercials. I’m listening right now and it played one commercial, 1 silent song, 1 song with sound, and then 2 commercials, tidepids, and granger and it is back to playing a silent down to the river to pray 

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @jsfranko 👋

Thanks for dropping in and posting your first post on the Community!

I apologize for this inconvenience and I understand how frustrating this is.

I've enabled a trace on your account so that we can take a closer look at what's going on. For this trace to be helpful please complete our iOS Troubleshooting Steps once more and try again.

In addition, I would like to report this to our engineers, could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this.

Gerald | Community Moderator
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

This has not been resolved, I don’t understand why but seems to be an ongoing issue that you cannot us Pandora with AirPlay devices as the commercials break the music stream.  I have tried Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and a few others that all work as Pandora has not fixed this issue.  

Unknown if this will get fixed. I often stream YouTube videos on AirPlay for music or I steam Pandora via Bluetooth because Pandora via AirPlay is broken. 😞

0 Kudos

davidacox
Opening Act

I have noticed a pattern in reports to this issue. It seems to me that the issue comes in 'waves' of reports of both the start of the problem, and of resolution to the problem. One possible reason for this would be some sort of load balancing of users against back end servers, with one (or more) of the servers having a problem that results in the silence after the commercial. As I noted (before my system started working again), the airplay target still reports that it is playing an add, even though the iOS reports that it is playing a song. If it is the case that some back end, load balanced component has an issue, it could be that the issue is sending some sort of 'end' notification to the airplay target. It would be interesting to know if those that are currently suffering from this issue have any back-end servers or components in common.

0 Kudos

Tho04
Underground

Still receiving the issue. Music stops playing after an ad. 

ios 16.2

pandora version 2212.1

airplaying to a HomePod on 16.2

Surferman
Local Performer

I am also experiencing the air play ad bug where music does not resume after the ad is over or skipped. I notice that if I wait long enough pandora eventually resets itself but that takes minutes and is not acceptable to me as a user. I read through the threads here. It’s been a long time since the original bug was reported. My bet is that it’s not going to be fixed. My suggestion is to try Bluetooth or use a different app. 

jsfranko
Underground

Is the delay in fixing this a way of trying to get us to upgrade to the fee based subscription service?  

0 Kudos

jsfranko
Underground

Pandora can’t be matched in my opinion for its ability to make a station from an initial seed, and continuing thumbs up/down’s that results in a set of music that I like to listen to. So I am here begging for a solution. 

GeraldPandora

Hi @Surferman & @jsfranko 👋

Thanks for reporting and sorry for the trouble you're experiencing when playing Pandora through AirPlay.

To answer your question, there is no delay between subscribers and non-subscribers to this fix. However, we are expecting a fix when the new version update is released. All updates and solutions will be posted on this thread, please stay tuned for any upcoming news.

In the meantime, I'd like to report this to our engineers, could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thank you for your patience and your help with this! 🤝

0 Kudos

fattire99
Local Performer

This is a problem for me too. Really annoying.  I've been using iphone 12 to HomePod mini, two of them, one in kitchen and one in office. its been working solid for over a year that i know of. Then in December 2022, the music would stop randomly. Took me about 1 month to figure out that it would stop playing through the speakers but still playing on the Pandora app but no sounds. I've upgraded IOS to 16.3. I've deleted and reinstalled the Pandora app. I rebooted router, iphone, you name it. I tested on two different iphones, iPhone 10 and iPhone 12, and the same problem happens.  I've also playing around with the 2.5Gh vs 5Gh on my wifi. Just really frustrating. Then in about 3-4 minutes the speaker would suddenly work as it just did now! 

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused @fattire99.

I moved your original post onto an existing thread under iOS: Music Stops After Ad Plays using AirPlay.

We are aware of this issue and our engineers are working on it. I appreciate the device details and feedback you've provided, I will pass this along to an internal ticket we have open for our engineers.

In the meantime, I have enabled a trace on your account so that we can take a closer look at what's going on.

We really appreciate your patience while we work on this!

0 Kudos